• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Help choosing monitor

Tim Armes

Hi,

I'd like some help choosing a monitor to pair with a Mac Pro. I'd like a 30" monitor but I have some questions concerning the coloru gamut.

In particular I read a comment somewhere that the 8 bit output of the graphics card causes issues when dealing with wide gamut displays. In essense, the 8 bits are stretched a bit far as far the gamut is concerned, so the space between any 2 given colours is greater than it would be on a monitor with a smaller gamut, and this can be frustrating when image editing.

My personal feeling is that Adobe RGB isn't so much greater than sRBG that 8 bits aren't sufficient. However I'd really like some feedback from heavy users of wide gamut screens (Andrew, you there?)

So I'm currently looking at either the Apple 30" display (75% of Adobe RGB I think) or the NEC 9030 (95%). For photgraphic editing on a Mac Pro, which is better (and why)?

Thanks,

Tim

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Bonsoir Tim
In case you missed them, do a search with "spectraview" here and ou'll read some good infos here in OPF.

I have ordered a Nec Spectraview 3090 and as soon as I'll giet it I'll post my first findings…

They're many things I like wtih the Nec… manual control/selection of the monitors at the end of production, wide gamut, latest technology etc…

Have a nice day!

Tim Armes

Hi Nicolas,

Have you found a supplier in France? I've searched in vain, it's not even mentioned on the NEC french website (the 26" is, but not the 30")

Tim

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
No
I didn't even search, I bought it during photokina to a German NEC dealer, I can PM you tomorrow their email address if you wish. It comes with a 3 year warranty on site, including LCD panel…

Tim Armes

Here's the text I found regarding wide RGB issues.

-----

A wide gamut LCD display is not a good thing for most (95%) of high end users. The data that leaves your graphic card and travels over the DVI cable is 8 bit per component.

You can't change this.

The OS, ICC CMMs, the graphic card, the DVI spec, and Photoshop will all have to be upgraded before this will change and that's going to take a while.

What does this mean to you?

It means that when you send RGB data to a wide gamut display the colorimetric distance between any two colors is much larger.

As an example, lets say you have two adjacent color patches one is 230,240,200 and the patch next to it is 230,241,200.

On a standard LCD or CRT those two colors may be around .8 Delta E apart. On an Adobe RGB display those colors might be 2 Delta E apart on an ECI RGB display this could be as high as 4 delta E.

It's very nice to be able to display all kinds of saturated colors you may never use in your photographs, however, if the smallest visible adjustment you can make to a skin tone is 4 delta E you will become very frustrated very quickly....
Any thoughts?

Cem_Usakligil

Here's the text I found regarding wide RGB issues.

-----

Any thoughts?
To be honest, my primary reaction is to disagree. One does not see the small difference between 230,240,200 and 230,241,200 on a regular monitor. If a large gamut monitor makes this difference visible, I don't see this necessarily as a disadvantage. But I never worked with a full Adobe RGB or bigger gamut monitor so I cannot comment as an expert.

Cheers,