• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Brazos Bend Sunrise

I was finally able to visit my favorite local place to shoot, Brazos Bend State Park, for the first time since hurricane Ike blew through. The park opened up again for business yesterday. There were a large number of trees downed in the storm but the park service did a great job of cleaning up the mess. You can hardly tell anything had happened there at all. Bird activity was a little low but that did not matter. I was just happy to be out in the park again. I shot mostly landscape shots using my D3 and the 24-70mm f/2.8 lens.

I was at the park before the sun came up and that gave me time to walk back to Elm Lake and get setup for some sunrise shooting. It was not as spectacular as some I have seen out there but it was still a great feeling to be the only person on the trails getting to watch the sun come up and listening to the park start coming to life for another day.

I used Photomatix Pro and generated this HDR image from three different exposures.

BBSPSunrise1.jpg

And this was a messy looking gator covered in moss that came swimming up.

gator1-1.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

I am waiting for people that know about these things to tell me why I like these so much.
Well I do not claim any knowledge as such but I sure can try ;-).

Re. the gator, there are many elements which come together. Firstly, the subject is interesting to look at. Then the composition. James has chosen to place the gator diagonally at the golden ratio, which anchors the subject and makes the proportions of the picture pleasant to look at. We see the reflections of the trees in water which also lead our gaze to the gator. To top things, it is taken in great morning light shining on the face and spine of the gator.

The sunrise picture is more complex of course. Firstly, I like the fact that HDR is not overly done, it is rather subtle. Then we have a classical composition element, which is a cross on its side. One cannot help but look at the tree and the reflection of it in the water. The color elements are built up in horizontal layers. The area of the sun’s golden rays are almost at the golden ratio (horizontally from the top) which makes the composition a balanced one. I think that the tree on the right may prove to be optional and could have been cropped (or maybe not, I’m not sure). The only nitpick I might have is that it would be a tad better if just a little more foreground was visible. Also, the horizon seems to be a bit slanted to my eyes.

All in all, great pictures! Thanks for sharing James :)

Albert Ramos

I am waiting for people that know about these things to tell me why I like these so much.

Just like you Clayton, I need someone else to tell me why I like those pictures, but these are the kind of things that keep my love for the hobby alive. I may not be as good as them, but as long as there are good photographers like James, my passion is kept alive. Thank you very much, James, for images like these!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I was finally able to visit my favorite local place to shoot, Brazos Bend State Park, for the first time since hurricane Ike blew through.................

And this was a messy looking gator covered in moss that came swimming up.

gator1-1.jpg

James,

There has to be a compelling esthetic reason to have one's subject bang in the center of the field! However, in this case, there are special needs to consider more width anyway. So thanks for generously allowing me to show a wider derivative of your fine work. I love your gator. I asked myself, how would it be expanding this to the right to add more water also extending the reflections of the golden branches below the 'gator a wee bit?

I have a constant criticism for photographers shooting as if they are composing exactly as we would print. The thing is that we have much more time at home. Ansel Adams spent many, many hours, sometimes years on location, returning to exploit a new lighting until his dream came to be a print. We have zooms that allow us to rapidly frame scenes. My suggestion is always use the same settings on manual and take adjacent environmental shots so these can be stitched if needed, or else just go wider. Of course, this advice does not apply for pros who routinely do frame as they will deliver.

The idea is to get some unity in a picture,”wholeness". Here with this gator, the wickedness of it is that in one sweep of its tail it can overtake and seize its prey. So we'd like to see more of its length in respect to the width of the picture. That's where the power is demonstrated. A narrow image confines the killer as a fleeting object. Extra waterway demonstrates what has been already traversed. This picture has a painterly effect of the golden reflections of the branches broken in the water by the ripples from the beast’s sly movement. That must be preserved.

I simply added width to the image in Image, Canvas Size and expanded to the right. Then I copied that to a new layer by dragging the background layer to the icon next to the wastebasket in the layers panel. I then selected the new area to the right. I clicked on the foreground color and with the magnifying glass icon on the top left of the color picker, selected the mid blue hue of the water near the right border of the picture. I then switched to the clone tool and set that for 60% and used that to steal color and patterns from the left side to continue the sense of the left side. So we don't just go horizontally from left to right, rather, looking at the lines and micro-texture of the water, follow and continue those angles and forms. I did this rather quickly, following the initial cloning with a second pass at 18% to get rid of transitions that were still obvious.

I then added the extra branches reflections below the creature so it is rippling through a more serious body of water. These were picked from different parts of the upper image and shown at about 18% intensity by simply reducing the intensity of the layer with the new features.

With the full size image, these changes can be made more carefully and no one would ever know the changes were made. Frankly, some of the great masters did exactly this in the "wet" darkroom whenever they wished.

So, shouldn't we perhaps consider framing more loosely or at least, using the same settings to take extra shots around the chosen composition, so one has ample creative choices? Anyway, that's my feeling and plea, to save the final art for the screen, as long as one is not doing standard product, wedding, stock or other work where you know what the client wants.

Here we ourselves are the client and we need room for a conversation with and within the milieu of the image. Anyway, that is my sense of creative iterative in the evolution of original art. If there is no room for creativity, then one has taken home a beautiful trophy, but a dead trophy, or perhaps, just found art, depending on how much thought went into the snapping the shutter.

Now the 'gater appears to have travelled more. Seems a bit more powerful.

gator1-1.jpg

gator1-1_AK.jpg

In this picture, the key thing would be first to get off as many shots as possible of the 'gator cruising past and then using the same setting grab the stationary milieu all around it just by fixing the front of the lens and rotating the camera around an imaginary point on the lens to gather a generous neighborhood. Still, with PS and time, one can do very well but it does take more time and skill.

Asher

Last edited: