• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Software Other Than Photoshop

To do what?

I use LightRoom almost exclusively these days, but I don't need sophisticated layer masks or retouching.

I find LR's RAW conversion to more easily controlled than either ACR or Canon DPP. I use LR to export photos in batches for delivery to clients. I use the LR Web gallery creator to make "proof" galleries for client review, and for creating 8-1/2 X 11 prints for clients.

I still us PS for retouching and bit-level editing, and when complex multiple-exposure images are required, but for little else.

Daniel Buck

you can try Gimp. It's similar to photoshop, and free. I don't like it as much as photoshop, but it is free. There's also Paint Shop Pro, I don't know if it's still around, but it's similar to Photoshop as well.

Just curious, what bugs have you found in photoshop? I'm on CS2 at home, and CS3 at work, and photoshop seems to be one of the most stable graphics programs I've ever used.

If you want ultimate control (with a learning curve though), I would suggest a compositing program called Nuke. I use it at work, and it's wonderful! Though very different from Photoshop, since it's node based. It's not cheap though.

Depends on what features of Photoshop that you need. If you could be more specific about what you use Photoshop for, the list could be narrowed down. Here's a few I'm aware of...

For pixel level editing
There are some Open Source alternatives.
There's Pixel
Pixelmator
Paintshop X2 (My Dad really likes the old Jasc PSP, don't know if he's upgraded since Corel bought them).

Also a bunch of online apps I haven't had a chance to really look at: (read the license agreements carefully, because some of them have some odd language about the rights to images you might upload to them)
http://www.splashup.com/
http://fotoflexer.com/

For the more basic editing, but more photo oriented:
Picasa
XnView

-Colleen

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
PSP

I use Paintshop Pro X for several things. It's got a nice one click skin smoothing and a one click healing brush action. There are some things it does in one click - like blemish removal that is easier than PS3.

I have Lightroom 1.0 and will probably upgrade to 2.0 and see how it will fit into my workflow.

I use NIK Color efx 3.0 for some things like vignette or black and white. And it does a nice skin treatment too. There are some fun things like cross processing adjustments in there and one called Kodachrome.

I use Ron Nichols actions for eye whitening in a click - I have to learn more.

I am thinking of buying some additional actions, but that's not alternative.
I just bought FotoFusion to make and design albums and collages.

But there are things that only Photoshop can do and does it best.

Is there anything just as good with fewer bugs?

No, there is not anything just as good out there. There are lesser tools, but none with the workflow enhancements that utilize extensive computer resources to save user time.

As to bugs, what bugs? Please specify these as most of the problems I have seen were related to not have crossed the PS learning curve rather than actual bugs (i.e., such and such is greyed out due to being in 16-bit mode and such).

enjoy your day,

Sean

Since your asking for a comparable program to photoshop at a cheaper price point I would recommend PaintShop Pro.... it's now made by Corel. I have been using paintshop pro for years It can do pretty much everything that photoshop can do it just may take an extra step or two. You can get a free 30 day trial of the program on the corel site.

Like others have said though, it really depends on the application and what you are trying to accomplish... you will likely need several programs.... think of your programs as having different lenses... different lenses for different situations, and similarly different programs for different situations.

~trudy

doug anderson

you can try Gimp. It's similar to photoshop, and free. I don't like it as much as photoshop, but it is free. There's also Paint Shop Pro, I don't know if it's still around, but it's similar to Photoshop as well.

Just curious, what bugs have you found in photoshop? I'm on CS2 at home, and CS3 at work, and photoshop seems to be one of the most stable graphics programs I've ever used.

If you want ultimate control (with a learning curve though), I would suggest a compositing program called Nuke. I use it at work, and it's wonderful! Though very different from Photoshop, since it's node based. It's not cheap though.

Daniel: I've got Elements 6. It keeps crashing. I uninstalled it and re-installed it and now the raw processor doesn't work.

I've got Windows Vista, and that may be part of the problem. I've thought of getting Elements 7, which I think is made for Vista, etc.

D

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Elements

Elements was awful for me. If you deleted a photo then it caused hard drive crashes like crazy. I had to reindex all the time. As many bugs as you can find in a picnic.

Daniel Buck

Wow, I didn't realize photoshop elements crashed like that, I've never used it before, but had assumed it was just a cut-down version of photoshop with features limited. I guess it's not stable like the full Photoshop.

Daniel: I've got Elements 6. It keeps crashing. I uninstalled it and re-installed it and now the raw processor doesn't work.

I've got Windows Vista, and that may be part of the problem. I've thought of getting Elements 7, which I think is made for Vista, etc.

It could be Vista, but it could also be bad hardware. Ensure you have defragged your hard drives (this implicitly checks the disk IIRC).

You should also validate your memory and cpu to ensure it is not a hardware problem.

Memory: http://www.memtest.org/

CPU: http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm (use the torture test mode in prime95 for validation)

You should also ensure that you have the latest updates for PSE and that you do not have any viruses.

adrian rathbone

paint shop pro x2

well i use paint shop pro x2 and i dont think there is much that photoshop can do that this dosnt and if you want to contact me privatly i might be able to help you get a copy gratis :)