• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Morning Glory Light

Charlotte Thompson

nikond40 early afternoon light auto- I don't usually shoot flowers but this afternoon this morning glory had such a special early afternoon light inside of it I was enchanted so I tried my best to get this enchanment- no ps work at just a slight crop from the bottom-

DSC_1140-1.jpg

Ron Morse

I like the picture Charlotte. I think it would have a lot more impact if you had the whole flower in the picture.

Charlotte Thompson

Ron

thank you! this early afternoon was a very challenge as the Glory was on bottom vine and the light leaving the inside glow -what was- what enchanted me so much-so I had to get in a position to catch That Light"
actually I kind of like the "non Cliche" look to the picture
it makes you look, doesn't it-

Charlotte-

Alain Briot

pro member
Hi Charlotte,

It's a nice image with good highlights. But since so much depends on these highlights the petal behind the flower really distracts from the flower. It doesn't add anything to the interest of the image, it is just there.

It would be worth trying to reshoot the image without the extraneous petal. If not possible, simply clone it off and see how the image looks then. If I am correct it will be stronger.

I'd also clean up the semi dark line horizontal behind the flower while you are at it.

This is sort of a studio look image, and I think it calls for as clean a rendition as you can make it :)

It's quite common that the photographer loses sight of the main subject when starting out in photographing a new subject. Here the main subject is the blue flower with a yellow trumpeted base, not whatever is going on in the background. That detracts from looking at the quality highlights and color of the flower.

It'd be also worth trying to photograph the entire flower as Ron suggested. Only by comparing this version and a full-flower version can an educated guess be made regarding which one is the stronger composition. I agree that this is sort of different and "non-cliche" as you say, but that doesn't mean it is stronger. I recommend working towards stronger first then different second. Of course if you can do both stronger and different then great. However, this is more difficult.

ALain

Sion Fullana

Charlotte, it's a really beautiful shot. I love how it has the perfect exposure as to be mysterious and keep an atmosphere, while keeping the stem perfectly illuminated. And the range of colors make it a very delicate piece of art.

Charlotte Thompson

Sion
thank you-it was a joy *

Alain

I tried another shot this late morning fuller flower and light inside its lower body-
the sun wasn't the same place as before-thank you so very much for your insight-I am trying to make a better study of light-

DSC_1138.jpg

DSC_1131.jpg