• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Traveling at home

We moved to Plymouth MA about a year ago and just found the time to walk the length of Plymouth beach. It is a barrier beach and protects Plymouth harbor from the direct effect of the Atlantic Ocean. This shot was taken at the end of the beach, beyond the last beach houses. We were very happy we took this walk, surprisingly beautiful, little known and full of photographic potential.

Let me know what you think.

13283511_PlymouthBeach.jpg

Think it is a lovely shot of a beatifull scene.

The roughness of the terrain comes out nicely with the natural dunes. The colour and light/shadows make it a very " real" photo, what makes me look at the picture more closely.

The atlantic on the right makes me curious where it will go, is it a bay? open coast or .. ? At the right lower corner of the water it seems an open end and maybe something for another angle.

How did you achieve the gradient in the sky just above the horizon, from very bright on the right to a " thundershower dark" on the left. Was there bad weather comming in or did you achieve this in post processing?

Martin

Think it is a lovely shot of a beatifull scene.

The roughness of the terrain comes out nicely with the natural dunes. The colour and light/shadows make it a very " real" photo, what makes me look at the picture more closely.

The atlantic on the right makes me curious where it will go, is it a bay? open coast or .. ? At the right lower corner of the water it seems an open end and maybe something for another angle.

How did you achieve the gradient in the sky just above the horizon, from very bright on the right to a " thundershower dark" on the left. Was there bad weather comming in or did you achieve this in post processing?

Martin
Martin,

Thanks for your comments. We were standing on the sand dunes, a spit of land protecting Plymouth Harbor. To our right was the harbor, while unseen, on the left side of the dunes is the ocean. Taken on the first day of November, around 1:00 PM, the light is not great but much different than in July when the sun would be nearly overhead and much harsher. The bright sun was penetrating the clouds; shafts of light were visible, but only barely. I used a polarizing filter and I reduced the blue luminance in post processing to provide a more realistic representation than rendered directly from the raw image. I hope to return to this spot next summer in the late afternoon when i expect that the light will be bettwr.