• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Culverts - a work in process

Doug Kerr

Carla noticed this neat lineup of culverts along a nearby rural highway a while ago, and commented that she thought it could be the basis for some nice photo work.

Today I went and had a first crack at it. Here is what I think is the most promising frame:

Culverts_F04172R.jpg

This is the full frame, ex camera with no post processing other than reducing the resolution and a little sharpening to support that. Focal length was 200 mm.

My first thought was that I would like to shoot it from an even greater distance to get a more prominent "compression of distance" effect. But the road topography isn't very accommodating. Still, I think I may be able to work something out later along that line.

I had also wanted to have the culverts "all in a line", but as you can see, a bunch of overhanging branches precluded that. But now that I see the curve of the culverts, I'm not so sure "in a line" would be better. Still, it may be that in winter the foliage may retreat and give me more options.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you folks can give as to how I can best advance this concept.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Doug,

Congratulations on taking on this self-challenge. We are often stuck by some essence in a scene that appears to evade our best photographic attempt to capture and then enjoy it once again whenever we so choose. With a great sunset, a pastoral scene, an old rusted car it's much easier. We simply move to the best position and when the light is right we have it!

Here, however, the challenge is so great because one cannot get around apparently disruptive elements such as the stop sign, (on edge) its post and then invading shadows from the left. Also the color is not rich and the line of the culverts is strong enough to be annoying to lawn design but not impressive enough for some architectural presence.

Still, there's a lot going for it. The lines of mail boxes repeat as do the culvert sections. That creates measures and beats for some more abstract composition. So I'd move away from what the things are to the essence the shapes and colors hidden therein.

The nature of the constituent pieces, (if you are willing to put aside their story and importance), can be considered just as shapes, textures and forms. In that case you are freed to explore in photoshop and develop from what's inherently already there.

Likely, what you come up with will resonate with your feelings of satisfaction and enjoyment when you first took on this project.

I must assure you that this is good concept. It's just in its infancy.

Asher

I wonder if you could find a good angle to frame only the last 5 culverts...

...and this is why I think that...

the third section of grass has no visible culvert so your line of culverts is interrupted by that void and I think it is harder for the eye to make the connection your trying for with the row of culverts and their repetitive pattern, plus these 5 culverts seemed to be lined up well in proportion to each other.

the second thing this would do is it would allow you to start your frame after the Stop sign which is a big distraction.

And finally 5 is a nice number design wise and I think it will give your picture the pop you are going for... anyways it's worth a try the next time you try this shot.... I think your on to something here and it is a clever shot, keep trying it until you get it!

-trudy

Asher Kelman

Doug,

I think you might consider two approaches. Try exploration of options in Photoshop. Also attempt new pictures but do something!

Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
Doug
I could imagine that theme with slightly different light, enhancing the curvature of the little °hills° arround the culverts. Plus a imagewise concentration on the culverts, mail boxes, by avoiding the pole, which is a quite strong element in your composition and stops the culverts to be seen as one line.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Michael,

Doug
I could imagine that theme with slightly different light, enhancing the curvature of the little °hills° arround the culverts. Plus a imagewise concentration on the culverts, mail boxes, by avoiding the pole, which is a quite strong element in your composition and stops the culverts to be seen as one line.

Thanks for those very apt suggestions.

Best regards,

Doug

Mark Doodeman

The shadow on the left threw me off a bit- if there is a way to reshoot without it, I think it would make for a stronger picture, leaving blank, unimportant space on the left for your eyes to ignore while they bounce around the uneven line of the drainage structures, and your brain struggles to form a line and meaning from the bit of chaos they present. Also, the mailboxes get in the way (would be great if they were uniform, all the same or lined up), but overall an interesting photo.

Asher Kelman

The shadow on the left threw me off a bit- if there is a way to reshoot without it, I think it would make for a stronger picture, leaving blank, unimportant space on the left for your eyes to ignore while they bounce around the uneven line of the drainage structures, and your brain struggles to form a line and meaning from the bit of chaos they present. Also, the mailboxes get in the way (would be great if they were uniform, all the same or lined up), but overall an interesting photo.
I'm glad you brought us back to this. I too would like to see more. Getting really low would make the culverts take up more importance.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Mark,

Thanks for the good observations. They add in well with others made earlier.

I have fallen off the track on this project, but hope to pick it up again soon, probably with a reshoot. For one thing, now that the leaves have fallen, there are some new possibilities.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

I have fallen off the track on this project, but hope to pick it up again soon, probably with a reshoot. For one thing, now that the leaves have fallen, there are some new possibilities.

Culverts_F04172R.jpg

Doug Kerr "Culverts" K

Perhaps to stimulate you on this mission, here's a more concise idea to approach this.

Culverts_F04172R copy 4 copy.jpg

Doug Kerr "Culverts" edits ADK

I hope this has more impact and fits into your concept.

Asher