• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Musseltown Yerseke

Cem_Usakligil

Hi,

I have driven to Yerseke this afternoon which is a very small town in the province of Zeeland, the Netherlands. But make no mistake, it is the beating hart of the mussels/oysters/clams industry in the lowlands.

Many companies cultivate, harvest and process molluscs in modern factories but the old processing areas are still partially operational and much more interesting.

Here is a picture I took in those almost abondened parts, who knows how much longer they will persist?

yerseke1.jpg

C&C is welcome, as usual :)

Cheers,

Last edited:

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Cem,
Great capture! I love the image. Question: Did you use the longer exposure to blur the flow of water or to compensate for the wide exposure differences between the foreground and background?
Either way, it produced a fine image!
Best,
John

Cem_Usakligil

Hi John,

Thanks for looking :).

I took the picture using a x3 stops ND filter (ND8) and a polarization filter piggybacked together, resulting in an exposure time of 5 sec at ISO 100 and f16.

My purpose was to blur the "waterfall". The dynamic range of the picture was not that high that I would have to revert to using HDR techniques. I have used the LR as a converter and there I have increased the fill light value to around 20, which was more than enough. I know that I have lost some details in deep shadows but that was intentional.

BTW, this is a storage room for oysters in baskets which are continuously rinsed using pumped fresh seawater. The water pours through the baskets (in shallow pools) and ends up flowing out of the storage area back to the sea as you can see here.

Cheers,

Rene F Granaada

Cem,

Love the slow speed waterflow, and at the same time the blue CHEP pallet on the left, giving the contrast with the more modern world of loading the mollusks onto pallests for transportation. The water somehow makes the photo timeless in my opinion.
Ierseke is a great place, in the province of Zeeland, my dad was an MD there, in the town of Terneuzen, we moved away from there in '53 a few weeks before the dutch had there great flood there and more thean 1000 people drowned, and they started building all there modern levee projects called the Delata works..

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Cem
An intersting pictures with lot of sense (meaning) as usual…

Technically speaking, I would have shot the same scene from a lower level, in order to have the focal plane parallel to the wall in BG, hence the verticals would be… vertical. Then the water movement (you know I'm used to have water movements in my own shots;-) would be even more "powerfull"…

Though I do like the blurred flow of water, I would have ALSO shot in the way to have a very high level of sharp/crisp/detailed of the water, just to see if it wouldn't have more strength…

imho, because it's still a very nice image…

Cem_Usakligil

Very interesting Cem. I enjoy looking at this sort of thing.
Hi Ron,

Thanks for looking. This is an image which is a bit in-between. It is not exactly art and neither it is PJ. It does have a documentary value though and I like the image myself, otherwise I would not share ;-)

Cem,

Love the slow speed waterflow, and at the same time the blue CHEP pallet on the left, giving the contrast with the more modern world of loading the mollusks onto pallests for transportation. The water somehow makes the photo timeless in my opinion.
Ierseke is a great place, in the province of Zeeland, my dad was an MD there, in the town of Terneuzen, we moved away from there in '53 a few weeks before the dutch had there great flood there and more thean 1000 people drowned, and they started building all there modern levee projects called the Delata works..
Rene,

What I have tried to do is to strengthen the path of the water flow by adding the blue elements. The eye starts at the blue "broomstick" at the right, goes down left to the CHEP pallet and continues to the other blue pallet underneath the crates. That is also the reason why I did not crop tighter on the RHS to get rid of the broomstick. What do you think, which version would be better?

It is great to hear that you have lived in Zeeland or more precisely Zeeuws-Vlaanderen where Terneuzen is located. So have you migrated to US already in 1953 or later? Do you still speak some Dutch? How fantastic! :))

Many people here might never have heard of the big flood of 1953. Here is the URL to deltawerken, http://www.deltawerken.com/89, where one can do some reading if interested.

Great to have you on board Rene :)

Hi Cem
An intersting pictures with lot of sense (meaning) as usual…

Technically speaking, I would have shot the same scene from a lower level, in order to have the focal plane parallel to the wall in BG, hence the verticals would be… vertical. Then the water movement (you know I'm used to have water movements in my own shots;-) would be even more "powerfull"…

Though I do like the blurred flow of water, I would have ALSO shot in the way to have a very high level of sharp/crisp/detailed of the water, just to see if it wouldn't have more strength…

imho, because it's still a very nice image…
Hi Nicolas,

I guess your idea is interesting, the perspective would perhaps improve if I could have gone a bit lower. I was in a rush and took only three pictures in quick succession and left. So maybe another time I shall revisit the concept.

Cheers,