• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Oldtimers

Clayton Lofgren

The local hairdressing school invited me along on one of their outings with the students doing free haircuts. Am hoping to do this a few more times, concentrating on oldtimers's portraits.
_ICT6902_1275.jpg
[/IMG]
_ICT6877_1229.jpg
[/IMG]
This one reminds me of a movie star.
_ICT6883_1241.jpg
[/IMG]
Some may prefer the students.
_ICT6892_1259.jpg
[/IMG]

Jim Galli

What an excellent opportunity. Want to borrow my 8X10 and some B&W film? Did you soften these on purpose to try to throttle some of the harshness?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
What an excellent opportunity. Want to borrow my 8X10 and some B&W film? Did you soften these on purpose to try to throttle some of the harshness?

Jim,

You are so right. This is a wonderful way for getting great subjects. The girl shouldn't be turned away! I'd also love to see these pictures more defined. Would you be interested in using a large format camera? This is perfect for that. B&W portraits would be a great photographic experience. Even 4x5 would be amazing with these fellows. Excellent project.

Asher

Unless one has overwhelming detail, the image size is sufficient somewhat smaller. :)

Clayton Lofgren

I doubt that there is anything bigger than 35mm within 200 miles of the little cowtown where I live. What I could do on the next trip is use some higher iso, flash or a diferent lens. All of these were wide open with the Sigma 24-135. Stopping down a bit it would be a little sharper, or I could back up and use my old KM70-210 which is very sharp. These could likely handle some USM as well, I did nothing to them except in ACR.

Jim Galli

I doubt that there is anything bigger than 35mm within 200 miles of the little cowtown where I live. What I could do on the next trip is use some higher iso, flash or a diferent lens. All of these were wide open with the Sigma 24-135. Stopping down a bit it would be a little sharper, or I could back up and use my old KM70-210 which is very sharp. These could likely handle some USM as well, I did nothing to them except in ACR.

They're really wonderful Clayton, thanks for sharing! I'm wishing for similar opportunities but I know I could show up at the local senior center and do the same. It's just a matter of prioritising time. Bravo.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Clayton,

Your pictures are perfectly fine! Seriously if you ever would like to try Large Format Film, Will Thompson might be able to dig up a camera, lens and film holders for 4x5 for you cheap if you ask him!

Asher

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Hey Clayton!

How many 4X5 cameras do you want?

I have a few just waiting for a new home!

Asher said to make it cheep if you wanted one and we always like to encourage those who post good photos!

Clayton Lofgren

I would love one, but with a Leaf back. The only darkroom I ever worked in was a Powerwagon truck in Saudi Arabia, covered up to keep the sun out. This was nearly forty years ago, when we still used light sensitive paper for seismic records. The memories are not fond.
If I lived somewhere where I could get involved with a camera club I would try some more exotic stuff, but for now I am firmly digital.