• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Deer

Rachel Foster

I've been trying to get a decent shot of a deer for sometime now. I'm out-of-state with only my little laptop and no editing software to speak of, but I think this one might be decent.

ISO 400, f/10.0, 250mm, 1/800.

Wildlife is a bit challenging. They won't stand still! It's the light that caught my eye on this.

deer2edit.jpg

As always, the question is: How can I do it better?

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Rachel,
Quick question, as I do not know what camera you are using - does the camera have an Exposure Lock function? If so, in a situation like this lock the exposure for a shadowed area. The backlighting will certain blow out some of the highlights, but at least the part of the deer facing you will be properly exposed.
In a situation like this (shooting at max telephoto into the sun) your best bet would be to turn around quickly and with your back to the sun lock the exposure pointing the camera at your shadowed feet.
It's a tough shot for anyone, as it seems you were left with no choice but to shoot directly into the sun.

Best,
John
http://www.lightsimage.com

Rachel Foster

I'll check into that! I still struggle with exposure. I see other people do it right but never get the brights and darks well done in the same shot.

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Rachel,
Maybe this will help:
A commercial photographer named Bryan Peterson has a book titled "Understanding Exposure". He's a shooter I've admired for some time now.
It's well written, easy to understand and it'll only set you back 25 bucks or so.
You can find it at Barnes and Noble or Amazon.
Check it out.

Best,
John

I won't address the exposure issue, but you could make this much better by eliminating all the stuff above the deer's ears, or a little above. It's just dark muddy background that doesn't add to the picture. It looks like you put the deer's head in the circle in the middle of the viewfinder.

Hi Rachel,

1. It helps to work from a tripod with cable release

2. Deer often has a habbit to "freeze" when you attract their attention towards you, often long enough to shoot with exposure bracket. If the exposure of the scene has a bigger dynamic range than your camera, bracketing is your best option to work with the files later.

3. If you go back to your raw files, you may find that some shots are suitable to open the shadows.

I find deer the easiest in the early morning hour, or at around sunset.

....You can't see me! :)

....YES, I can! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachel Foster

Oh,what I would have given for a tripod! Unfortunately, I'm in Texas and the airlines are getting quite....particular about luggage these days.

We'll be at the same place today and there might be a loaner tripod available.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Hi Rachel,
May be you could crop out what's above, but as for exposure, I like this effect very much. Looks like back-lit by a full moon - very romantic! Any more light on the face would spoil that effect, in my opinion..

regi

Michael Fontana

pro member
Hi Rachel,
May be you could crop out what's above, but as for exposure, I like this effect very much. Looks like back-lit by a full moon - very romantic! Any more light on the face would spoil that effect, in my opinion.. regi

yep, I like back-lits very much, too, but they're one of the most difficult lights to handle, due to the big dynamic. With back-lits, you can't usually keep the full range of tonality, unless its done in the studio, with controlled light settings.

Rachel
the problem of your deer-shot is the bright street (??) which challenges the back-lit of the deer. Now you could try to make a 2nd RAWconversion, for the street only. It should be much darker than the first version, and mix the two files in PS as layers, with the help of a layermask.

Here's just a quick and dirt-sample to illustrate the idea; it can be done much better when accessing the RAWfile:

deereditMF.jpg

©Rachel Foster

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I agree with Michael!

less concrete, more grass, a bit more light, colors, contrats, here's my your dear…[hoops! sorry, "deer" not "dear", oh well…]

deer2edit.jpg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nicolas,

Much improved! The deer does not have to be totally seen, but the grass makes this more gentle and less distracting.

Asher