• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Raw support in various Photoshop vintages

Doug Kerr

I have Adobe Photoshop 9.0.2 ("CS2"). I don't use it very often, and engage it mostly in order to follow technical discussions here (and also to be able to numerically read the results of white balance color correction done by such techniques as "eyedroppering").

Just for reference, I do most of my photo editing in Picture Publisher 10, and use DPP for raw development.

The version of Adobe Camera Raw I have (V 3.7) does not support the latest Canon CR2 files.

It looks to me as if the latest version of ACR is not compatible with Photoshop CS2 - maybe only CS3 and up, or maybe only CS4.

I am not really anxious to upgrade to CS4 at the moment, but perhaps I will have to. (For one thing, I hear various horror stories about it, which may be overblown.)

I'd like to hear the thoughts of the experts out there on my options here.

Thank you so much.

Michael Fontana

pro member
It looks to me as if the latest version of ACR is not compatible with Photoshop CS2 - maybe only CS3 and up, or maybe only CS4.

Yep Doug, that's quite right; I'm - at the moment - on PS-CS-2 too, but use C1 or RAW Developer and sometimes LR.

There's a workarround, if you wish to use ACR with newer CR.2's:

download the latest DNG-converter from Adobe, convert these recent Canon-raws in a DNG, this should work with older ACR's.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Michael,

Yep Doug, that's quite right; I'm - at the moment - on PS-CS-2 too, but use C1 or RAW Developer and sometimes LR.

There's a workarround, if you wish to use ACR with newer CR.2's:

download the latest DNG-converter from Adobe, convert these recent Canon-raws in a DNG, this should work with older ACR's.
Oh, that's a thought. I'll try that. (I need to get into some DNG-fiddling anyway!)

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

HI, Michael,

Did that, and it seems to work quite nicely.

I need to convert some older CR2s and see how well all the properties are conserved.

Thanks for the hint.

Best regards,

Doug

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
BTW Doug

Michael did state about "Raw Developer" let me tell you, this is quite a rough but very good developper, I quite often use it (mostly with Sinar/Brumbaer DNGs), it devellops images amazingly clear (sharp/unnoised/vibrant)…
It is not so easy, even if there are not a lot of options, but if you have time for some back and forth, it's worth the try!

Michael Fontana

pro member
Nicolas

It's been for some years my favourite, now I use it, together with the C1-4 LE in tandem. Personally, I don't find it difficult, rather a thoroughbread-converter.

They' re different beast, but both have their merits.

In its actual version, the highlight recovery is quite amazing.
Don't forget to set the curve to "Lightness", that means the L-channel of LAB!