• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Calibrating to LCD's native white point

Damien Symonds

I've read plenty of times that it's best to calibrate LCD screens to their native white point, rather than trying to force a non-native white point. I understand that this is to minimise quantization problems with the 8-bit video card. I'm referring, of course, to low-end monitors.

A lot of monitors I've seen have several colour temperature options - for example, "Warm", "Cool", and "Custom". Within Custom you can set the R,G and B individually, usually on a scale of 0-100.

My question is, how do you know what is the native white point of these monitors? Or, if a monitor has these Custom controls, can I adjust to a favoured white temperature without any worries?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

My question is, how do you know what is the native white point of these monitors? Or, if a monitor has these Custom controls, can I adjust to a favoured white temperature without any worries?

Hi Damien,

It's hard to be specific, due to the great variety of LCD technologies that are being used. I think it is safe to assume that many lower-end LCDs tend to be on the 'cool' side (approx. 9000K equivalent color temperature). I wouldn't leave them at that setting if I was going to use it for judging or even editing color.

If you have a display profiling tool, then you could set its software to a target color temperature of 6500K, and hope that the calibration will produce something close to that. That will result in a LUT being loaded in the videodriver at startup, probably somewhat similar to what happens in firmware when you change the LCD's default rendering.

By letting the LUT take care of it all in one step, you probably will avoid repeated (rounded) LUT adjustments, but specific screen technologies might take that into account (but we don't know for sure).

Bart

Damien Symonds

Hmmm ... that's the risk of asking questions of experts - you're likely to get expert answers which you don't understand!

Thanks for your reply, Bart. I'm still struggling.

It's hard to be specific, due to the great variety of LCD technologies that are being used. I think it is safe to assume that many lower-end LCDs tend to be on the 'cool' side (approx. 9000K equivalent color temperature).
I should have mentioned, I have an EyeOne Display 2, so it's not hard to be specific at all. That device tells me exactly what the white temperature of a monitor is.

I wouldn't leave them at that setting if I was going to use it for judging or even editing color.
Nor would I, don't worry.

If you have a display profiling tool, then you could set its software to a target color temperature of 6500K, and hope that the calibration will produce something close to that.
Yes, the I1D2 usually gets quite accurate results, if I set a specific white temp target. And yes, if I'm setting a target, it's usually 6500, unless I have good reason to do otherwise. That's not the point of my question.

That will result in a LUT being loaded in the videodriver at startup, probably somewhat similar to what happens in firmware when you change the LCD's default rendering.

By letting the LUT take care of it all in one step, you probably will avoid repeated (rounded) LUT adjustments, but specific screen technologies might take that into account (but we don't know for sure).
Ok, this is where I get lost. LUTs and such are a bit beyond my understanding. However, I hope I can explain what I know, and what I'd like to know:

Some monitors genuinely can't have their colour adjusted. At the top end, I refer to the Apple Cinema Displays, for example. At the bottom end, I refer to cheap laptop screens. In both cases, there is no capacity to adjust the R, G & B via the OSD.

With these monitors, it seems clear-cut to me. If I set my I1D2 to "Native White", I get what I get. The Apple monitors are very good quality, so their native white is close to 6500K - I haven't seen one fall outside the 6300-6700 range. On the cheap screens, like you say, the native white tends to be much cooler.

If I choose to force a non-native white point, it has to be done in the LUT, am I right? This is where the rounding errors come in, and risk of visible banding, if my understanding is correct. For example, if I forced a cheap cool laptop screen to 5500K, it would have to restrict the blue channel of the LUT quite a bit, eg use only 200 of the available 256 levels. Am I anywhere near the mark here?

On the other side of the coin, there are many cheap LCD models which offer on-screen R,G & B adjustments. Like I said:
A lot of monitors I've seen have several colour temperature options - for example, "Warm", "Cool", and "Custom". Within Custom you can set the R,G and B individually, usually on a scale of 0-100.
How do these adjustments work? Are they made to a separate LUT built in to the monitor itself? You mentioned "firmware" in your reply, perhaps this is what you meant. If so, is it also true that TN panels usually only have a 6-bit LUT?

Given all of that, it makes sense to leave the screen's LUT as intact as possible. So, we come back to my original question - how the heck do I know what is "native"? If there's a choice of presents eg "Warm" and "Cool", is it fair to assume that the coolest available preset is native? Or, is native when the R, G & B guns are all set to their maximum?

Andrew Rodney

You can't physically alter the white point of a CCFL LCD. It is what it is. If you don't have a higher end unit like the NEC's, all you do by specifying anything other than Native is alter the LUT in the graphic card. Buys you nothing. So use Native and let the ICC profile "compensate" in ICC aware applications.

Higher end units allow high bit LUTs internally inside the display. So setting a desired WP can be accomplished without degradation.

Damien Symonds

I had to Google "CCFL" to find out it apparently stands for "Cold Cathode Flourescent Lamp" ... but I'm none the wiser ;)

Thanks, Andrew, for your reply, but I still don't understand. I am sitting in front of a cheap-as-chips Acer 19" LCD, which allows me to adjust the R, G and B to achieve a custom white temperature. Yet you say it physically can't be done. What am I missing?

Perhaps I'm coming across as a dunce, but I can't believe that I'm the only person who doesn't understand this.

Andrew Rodney

Thanks, Andrew, for your reply, but I still don't understand. I am sitting in front of a cheap-as-chips Acer 19" LCD, which allows me to adjust the R, G and B to achieve a custom white temperature. Yet you say it physically can't be done. What am I missing?

Physical adjustment: CRT displays with RGB electronics inside that are adjusted by the controls on the unit.

LCD: you're simply making an 8=bit LUT* to be loaded on the graphic card to apply this correction, not a physical alteration of the display.

*Higher bit, high end displays are available that do this internally in the panel. Still not a physical adjustment but since its high bit, less (or no) banding as a result of the adjustment.

If you have anything but such a high end display, select Native White Point. Adjusting the RGB controls buys you nothing.

Damien Symonds

If you have anything but such a high end display, select Native White Point. Adjusting the RGB controls buys you nothing.
Ok, that would appear to answer the second part of my question ...
if a monitor has these Custom controls, can I adjust to a favoured white temperature without any worries
... but I'm still none the wiser about the first part ...

My question is, how do you know what is the native white point of these monitors?
Thanks for your patience. I'd really like to know the answer to this.

Andrew Rodney

Best you can do is set the unit to the factory defaults, then in the calibration software, ask for a Native White Point.