• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Serengeti National Park

original.jpg

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Winston,
That's a very powerful image. How about providing some geographic and equipment/exposure details?
It's not fair to tease us like that!

Wendy Thurman

Lovely image that leaves the viewer with an idea of the vastness of Africa. I can't think of anything critical to say but I would be interested to learn about the post-processing, if any.

Wendy

Thanks John.
The full EXIF is embedded in the image. The image is also geotagged.

For those that can’t access the above:
Selected EXIF: Sony DSLR-A700: 1/640s f/8.0 at 28.0mm iso200
Lat, Long: -2.174992, 34.125111

Thanks Wendy. All PP done with Lightroom 2.1

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Winston,

It's truly a breathtaking image. Excellent use of the panoramic view but allocating most of the height for the totally impressive sky was a master stroke. Making this a black and white image is perfect for the full exposition of the range of tonalities in the clouds, light beams breaking through, the layering of the highlands and lines of land and trees. The straight diagonals of the light beams makes an immediately attractive and impressive composition, contrasting with the softer white billowing and darker threatening clouds.

Did you use any filters and is this just one shot? Seems your indicating that. Where were you positioned? Was this using a tripod on the side of a hill or from a Landrover. IOW, tell us the story. We're already totally in to this and want to know what lead up to this!

Seems you might have much, much more to share from this expedition!

Asher

Last edited:
Did you use any filters?
Protective UV.

Is this just one shot?
Yes.

Where were you positioned?
The back of a Toyota Land-cruiser (pop-top) traveling about 50KPH over unimproved dirt road.

I made quite of few images similar to this. Some were made from a non-moving Land-cruiser. Tri/monopods are useless in this environment. Wide, normal, a short-tele shots are handheld. For long tele shots (400mm) I use a Kinesis Safari-Sack filled with whatever you can get locally (corn, rice, etc.). As most people in the cruiser are interested in game photography, setting up landscape shots just isn't practical. My most successful were taken "on the run" as this one was.

The truck motion in this shot was from right to left. I had spotted the large Acacia and began making exposures as it began to"pass by"and approach the distant mountain range. With all the motion, you can't use the viewfinder. If you do, there is way too much camera motion. The secret is to use a focal length a little shorter than you than you want (cropping allowance) and hold the camera away from you. The idea is to let the camera act as a seismic mass suspended on soft springs (your arms). This stabilizes it well enough for in-body or lens stabilization to take care of the rest. You would be amazed at how well this works.

Asher, is this what you wanted? If not, ask for more.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Did you use any filters?
Asher, is this what you wanted? If not, ask for more.[/COLOR]
Winston,

It was so good, I was brought back to my own trips except we'd use a Landrover, of course! The use of more generous framing is of course essential under these conditions.

Thanks for sharing!

Asher