• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Houston Artcrawl

This is an annual event held in downtown Houston's arts district. The area itself is one I would probably not feel too comfortable in alone at night but during the day, with lots of people, it was great. It's an old area that used to be full of industry and a lot of the old buildings have been refitted into lofts, apartments, offices, and art galleries. The Crawl is a day that all of the local galleries and artists open up and display their works to the public. You can walk along the route, or take a bus, and visit scores of different places. Today, I just spent most of my time in one area, visiting around 10 or so different galleries. I did take some photos but most of my time was just spent looking and enjoying some of the wonderful art that Houston has to offer. It was an inspirational morning.

This was just one of the buildings I passed on my way to the galleries. I really don't know what it was. I saw no signs. I did however like the paint job and the furnishings and thought it made a nice sunny autumn morning picture. I think I really would have liked it if I had done a self portrait of me sitting on that old sofa but that is maybe for another day.

1122_6189.jpg

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi James
Thanks for sharing your ballade in this art area of Houston!
Nice place you shot too, nextime, call me some time before and I'll gladly come to shoot your portrait while you're sat on this sofa… would be fun!

John Angulat

pro member
Sure beats...

...the NYC graffitti I'm used to seeing on "the streets". It's a wonderful image and it brought a smile to my face. However...I'd would be greatly interested in seeing some b&w street shots of this area, on a non-tourist oriented day. Heck, the streets of Houston can't be worse than the streets of New York!

Thank you for the offer Nicolas. I will remember to give you a call beforehand next time:)
John, I think I will be back down around that area sometime again soon. There are some really talented graffitti artists down there whose work I would like to photograph. I have never been to New York so I cannot compare your "mean streets" to ours. I am pretty sure there are parts of both cities that I would not venture into alone. I am not as adventuresome (or crazy) as I used to be. Here was one more that I really liked. This seems like my mantra at times.
James

1122_6212.jpg