• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fallen

Fallen2-1.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
William,

This is impressive and I'm moved as Nikolai obviously was. It's immediately dramatic that the tree is "Fallen". The title, "Fallen", BTW, by itself could imply the fate of a king or politician who's power was lost or anyone else in hard times or disgraced. So already, before seeing the image, the mood it set. It's almost like someone saying "Pride before a fall!", we are starting to thing of what might happen ultimately to our own person as our body too fails.

This title is this, with just one word, amazingly powerful. The picture doesn't disappoint! What is interesting is that the tree itself makes a line going upwards from left to right, which, at least in a Western culture indicates a rise in status or power. This line however dives rise to the sweeping overlapping arches downwards to the ground of all the tree branches. Likely it's the right half of a tree or clump of trees that's down since there's little to speak of on the the opposite side of the fallen tree. This asymmetry emphasizes the repeated curves of the fallen branches reaching back to earth.

I thought this might be film but the EXIF, (thanks for keeping :) ) shows its the Nikon D700 taken at 1/1000 second at f4.0 which might emphasize that tree alone. Congrats on the camera; an excellent choice!

This is where a wider aperture (especially) large format might isolated this special tree even more. If this is nearby, I'd want to return at different times of the day and then see how it would be in different light. The other thing to be considered is the close up view of the tree. This picture gives us an intimate view of the tree. I would have asked for a wider margin of upright trees to set this tree against, but maybe it would lose impact. What did you think of that?

Above all this is a treat for us and evokes much more than what it simply is, a tree broken and fallen. Thanks for sharing. Tell us if you are considering doing more in a series like this!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Welcome

James
I'm so pleased to see you here with us-
stunning breadth to this shot-
your creativeity and talent always amazes me
to have seen such beauty and to capture it the way only you can tells us of your very soul

Charlotte-

Nikolai:

Thank you for the emphatic greeting. When I came upon the scene, I felt like a small spectator watching mythical giant Roman senators slay one of their own, but then they became bereft enough to help him fall gracefully to his death.

Asher Kelman:

Your graciousness is noteworthy and quite appreciated. I, too, realized the scene had some modicum of universal appeal when it seemed to say that trees suffer. I imagined, of course, that they died like everything else but the, albeit it poetical, notion that they could suffer a torturous slow end made them seem more universal. Lighting, as you have noted, is crucial to the flavor and I should hope to see the scene lightly snowed upon in a kind of jeweled burial shroud and somehow still keep the lighting Ichabob Crane-like (if you will).

I see you noticed the D700 and yes it is proving itself one of the most astounding bargains in photography. I plan on buying another one as a backup before it leaves the market. I think a little known secret is that shooting below 200iso yields amazing latitude for post processing.

As far as cutting off the tree tops go, I understand, I think what you mean. But the emphasis would be shifted less toward the 'Fallen' one and more overtly towards the other trees as either helpers or perpetrators. Such is said already with the current cropping but with more emphasis on the tragic figure.

I am not sure as to continuing a series. My interests have a mind of their own sometimes. Thank you again for your time.

Charlotte Thompson

Your belief that I am capable, when I suspected I was not, is a gift no one else has ever given me. My thank you is beyond the beautiful cages that are words.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Your belief that I am capable, when I suspected I was not, is a gift no one else has ever given me. My thank you is beyond the beautiful cages that are words.
William,

Even if you are just lucky, we love the picture. Chances are you have a good sense of what has value. That's the important part of the equation that gets to deliver the pictures we seek. So let's then dial back the expectations so you don't get too inhibited!

Asher

Hello Mark,

Pardon the slowness of my reply. I wish I could tell you just how long. I stared at the shot in passing for a couple of days after converting it to black and white. Then one night with a good amount of wine in my head absorbed about ten minutes from NX2 in the search for a monochrome plate to better accomodate an expressive net of shadows. (Shadows are my favorite playground.) Thank you for your compliments.

james sperry

hello william,
first, my apologies that i'm somewhat vocally challenged compared to your peers and that i have a different view of your photograph. i have a strong attracition to 'themed' photography'. i can only honor you with my first impression before reading the thread.

my first impression (or thought, if you will) was sadness and loss. the green hue, the lack of other color, the usage of light, the framing of the fallen tree and the surrounding trees appearing as if to be standing at attention ..... envoked a feeling of military ceremony ..... honoring a brother in arms that has fallen.

very captivating.

I think you vocalize just fine, after all, as the saying goes, if we're all thinking alike then someone's not thinking. A tad coincidental that I discover your reply while in the midst of rereading Ambrose Bierce's truly surreal and brilliant civil war classic, An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge, (A seriously recommended short story that can easily be found online due to its age) so your interpretation assimilates itself rather effortlessly.
I have always found downed trees to be of the most tragic deaths due to their tenacity: Once in late winter, in Sandy Springs, Georgia, I saw a young leafless tree fifteen feet or so tall with its 18-20 inch circumference trunk split by a vehicle already towed from the scene. There was still plenty of debris from the car and the tree (I wish I knew the species) still barely stood, its ill countenance frozen in a fall lower than 45 degrees but higher than 90. Indeed, the heart of its trunk was shattered enough to peer right through it and without leaves yet in the season there was an added 'shock of death' look to the scene. Moreover, I incredulously sensed a lowly diminishing spark still within the all but dead thing. I kept an eye on it in passing for two to three days a week, wanting to help but not quite knowing what to do, expecting eventually a stump left by workers. I grew a distant shadow at the situation and found myself avoiding that part of the street, but still thought of it almost every night. (Which alarmed me a little.)
About twenty faintly guilt ridden days passed. I decided to go visit what surely must be a stump by now but as I approached on foot at a distance too great for full acknowledgment, I noticed oddly that no one had cut it down. It was now early spring and far away details became more evident with each quarter block I completed. Something had happened. Had it been removed and replaced with a huddle of bought saplings? Finally, I was close enough and glad it was mercifully replaced but then as I neared even closer, I saw the very same and maimed specimen looking back at me fully adorned with blossoming yellow flowers and tender shoots! Such was the abundance of its greenhouse halo that the exploded trunk was covered and unseen within the fanfare. I think my mouth soundlessly opened and I took my time but eventually waded closer to touch the life spawning limbs (being a very young man) where I opened my mind to an amazing and quite enchanting presence.

It still remains one of the most inspiring things I have ever seen. (Alas before my interest in photography.)

Thank you, Mr. Sperry, for your comments as they spurred quite a memory.

fahim mohammed

fallen but not forgotten

William, sorry for seeing this picture so late. I think James Sperry put it best...fallen soldier surrounded and honored by its comrades. yes, beautifully captured and beautifully expressed.

Please show us more of your work.

Regards.