• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

mono printing with pigmented inks

Diane Fields

I'm curious how others deal with metamerism with mono prints (I would say b/w but I prefer 'toned' prints). I've been printing with a 2200 for a number of years now--and before that a 1280. I print quite a number of mono prints--more than color I believe. I love using my own duotones or toning prints but metamerism raises its ugly head unless they are viewed under the correct lighting. I've deal with this by using QTR (Quadtone RIP for those unfamiliar with it). Its a good RIP for my purposes, very very reasonable---and generally does the job. Another alternative is to use a dedicated b/w printer and that's been under consideration for a long time but I just have really procrastinated about it--the 1280 would have been a good candidate in the past---but now, probably the 2200 and buy another printer for color.

I'm considering buying a new printer. I've used Epsons for a long time--still have 4 of various vintages, but 'might' consider something else. I have not seen the output of the 2400 Most of my printing is done on matte fine art paper, so that's a consideration--and for color prints I use paper profiles. I don't need the 'glop' for glossy prints so believe I have ruled out the 1800. I know the 2200 was a step above the 2000--is the 2400 that much different from the 2200 in regards b/w? I also have learned that Canon has a 10 color pigmented ink printer in this size coming out in 2007 (according to their site). How easy is it to have profiles done for the Canon? Is there the possibility of using as many paper choices as with the Epsons? I have to say that I'm annoyed that the 2400 still requires you to switche Pk and Mk inks. The Canon doesn't say if it will require this or not--just says 10 fulltime color pigmented inks with black, gray and matte black inks.

I will only consider archival pigmented inks--so that limits me also. I understand the K3 inks are quite an improvement but I'd like to hear from those that have used both. (BTW--I have decided to limit myself to this size printer---I have access to a very good printer who has the newest large format Epson--I prepare the files and he prints on my paper selection for larger than 13 x 19--rare for me to print that large).

Diane

Tony Bonanno

pro member
Hi Diane,

I have the new Canon 12 pigment ink 17" IPF5000, had three Epson 4000's, a 2200, and also have the 2400, do a fair amount of monotone printing (used QTR also) as well as color, so perhaps I can help.

First of all, the 2200 is probably the most economical to operate of the 13" models, and with QTR, does a very good job with monotone prints. Having said that, I think the output of the 2400 is better and does a very good job with the Espon B&W driver (has a number of toning options too). The 2400 is also supported in QTR. The 2400's prints are pretty much metamerism free (very definitely better than the 2200), have minimal bronzing and gloss differential, etc. Using the Epson driver or profiles in Photoshop, the 2400 is visibly better all around. For B&W though, WITH QTR, metamerism shouldn't be much of an issue with either printer. What burns me about the 2400 is the high cost of ink. 25% more expensive than the same size cartridges for the 2200. IF I was doing primarily B&W, then I'd just stick with the 2200 using QTR for now. Canon and HP will both be introducing new 13" pigment models this Fall, so you might want to wait a bit and see if these new models offer more than the 2400.

So far I'm liking the Canon 17" IPF5000. The B&W is pretty good and you don't have to change inks with different papers. I suspect the new 13" model coming out will be very similar. One downside to the Canon is the lack of QTR. If enough folks switch to Canons, maybe Roy will write the curves, etc. for the Canon models. Admittedly, the Canon does fine without QTR for now.

Hope this helps..

With a 2100/2200, I've never been happy with anything except mono inks (Permajet MonochromePro). Otherwise there always seems to be a touch of a colour cast. Do you RIP advocates really not get any colour casts?

John

Tony Bonanno

pro member
John Beardsworth said:
With a 2100/2200, I've never been happy with anything except mono inks (Permajet MonochromePro). Otherwise there always seems to be a touch of a colour cast. Do you RIP advocates really not get any colour casts?

John

Hi John,

Well, I never used the 2200 with a RIP, but used my 4000's (same inkset as 2200) a lot with QTR. I can honestly say there was NO metamerism that I could detect when using QTR. Definitely no greens, magentas, etc. No question Imageprint Lite is an excellent option for color & monotone. But QTR (monotone only) does work very well and is incredibly inexpensive for what it does.

I should add that most of the time I used Eboni matte black ink in place of Epsons matte black which reduces the warmth when printing on matte/art/cotton papers. Other than the matte black, I used the standard Epson UltraChrome inkset.

Tony