• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Washerwoman revealed

In the thread, Icon Alert, the Washerwoman, several different opinions were given on the original composition and later on the follow up shots. Asher kept questioning the lack of detail in the Washerwoman monument. This followup combines/blends two images (two stop difference) in an attempt to reveal the Washerwoman. I like that the image is composed of receding layers , each with successively less detail and contrast. What do you think?

1328MG_2983_as_Smart_Object-1_print.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Nathaniel,

This is so good! Even without reading about the arch of massive rock that makes this stone monument, I's recognize her from the namw. We now can see her and she is clearly outlined against the background. From Nicolas' and Ken's respective work in printing large, I expect this would be up-ressed very well to be printed at massive size. One is going to feel a great presence.

This is so enjoyable to have experienced the early pictures and all the substantial views, each in themselves adding to a multidimensional feeling for this place. I now can place myself 15 feet from the arch in my minds eye. I'll try to get there, one day, so early that I might guarantee my own position and get the pictures I want, despite the other photographers who might know the site far better.

With what you have done here, you have made a good picture into one that's much more memorable. I like the light on the proximal rocks. I also appreciate that you have looked after the lighting on the middle section of rock-face.

I see you also did a tad of editing on the lady and that is the most difficult. You have maintained the soft indistinctness of the distant landscape yet defined her well. I'm sure there are some who's go crazy do an amazing popping HDR effect and I appreciate that you didn't do that!

The orange red then golden light going to indistinct browns, greens and grays serve the lady well!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Nat,

I agree with Asher, this is a very nice rendition. I really like the picture as is, thanks for sharing.
I hope you do not run into a gamut problem when you eventually print it.

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

Nate,

Cem seems to have a point on the Gamut. It appears that the red-orange bright colors are outside of the gamut of CMYK as set up on one of my computers. I think this is worth you checking yourself.

Asher

Asher and Cem,

I think that it might be a problem, but I opened the background image as a SMART OBJECT from ACR. Maybe I can just go back and tone it down with the red-orange saturation.

Thanks,

-Nat

Cem_Usakligil

Asher and Cem,

I think that it might be a problem, but I opened the background image as a SMART OBJECT from ACR. Maybe I can just go back and tone it down with the red-orange saturation.

Thanks,

-Nat

Hi Nat,

The chances are, you won't notice the difference so do not tone anything down. The gamut of the printer will be definitely smaller than the image which I presume must be in the Adobe RGB or ProPhoto space as is. The rendering intent you choose and the gamut range of your printer (inks and paper together) will both play a role in the end result. If you use a modern printer and the appropriate rendering intent, there shouldn't be any real issues at all.

Cheers,

Umesh,

Thanks for looking and did you notice the caption? In order to present this feeling of dynamic range, I used a tripod, exposing one picture enough to hold some details in the far shadows, while exposing the other for the closer highlights. The images were manually blended in photoshop using a layer mask.

-Nat

Asher Kelman

Nate,

Now that you have established yourself as my big rock monument photographer, my appetite is whetted. So we'd love to see more. For one thing I'd like to know how they might be rendered in B&W. Because one can assign colors to different ranges of hues, you'd have an extra capability to show dimensionality in the washerwoman. Why do I obsess on her figure? Hmm!

She's classic! I still think a detailed telephoto picture of the woman alone might be successfully grafted on to a wider shot like this. So when it's printed large, there will be exquisite detail. I have no problem of the honest of it! I just would like someone to put their face up to the picture and be astounded!

Tell us how it prints!

Asher