• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Wish List: If one could access all the addresses and controls in digital cameras.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Everyone,

Having access a few functions of your DSLR or digicam is not my frame of reference. I'd like full disclosure of a map of control points and code so we could reassign functions to different buttons as well as put in out own creative effort into new capabilities heretofore not seen. One thing I'd like to do is to assign 3 points of microfocus adjustment to my zoom lenses if needed. So a 28-300 mm lens might get 3 offsets, one each at say 28mm, 100mm and 300mm.

We might write different data to the LCD screens or viewfinder or else add our own distortion corrections for lenses. I am amazed that we don't think of the digital camera as just a programmable computer with a built in lens mount and optical path to a sensor.

As for focus adjust. We should be able to do this is software and I predict it won't be long*.

So what would you request to help your photography? Jokes welcome but only when matched by well thought out serious contributions too! :)

Asher

Anyone who can help hack the cameras firmware without getting into legal trouble, let me know!

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

So what would you request to help your photography? Jokes welcome but only when matched by well thought out serious contributions too! :)

Fair enough.

1. Menu control of case color (as was often said to doubtless be available in in the old Motorola Cell Phones, owing to their gigantic menu tree).

2. Ability to set a single AF point for focus control while retaining the adaptive exposure control system with emphasis potentially given to exposure sensors at all AF points (to say it in the complicated, but accurate, way).

3. Blocking the availability of P mode for ascetic users unsure of their self-control. (I think that is half in each category).

Best regards,

Doug

Daniel Buck

a button (or way to map the function to an existing button) that would trigger the mirror lockup custom function. Or a mechanical switch to flap the mirror.

I'd love 12 and/or 25 ISO too.

Those are honestly the only two things that I would like, as far as functionality goes. :)

I believe that Canon has an SDK (software development kit) available under certain restrictions. I just saw a discussion over on Photo.net about it.

Inquire of Canon, you might be surprised.

Asher Kelman

Thanks Charles,

I noticed that too. I think it's limited but I'm trying to find out. So what clever things would you like. would HDR appeal to you?

Asher

Asher Kelman

I believe that Canon has an SDK (software development kit) available under certain restrictions. I just saw a discussion over on Photo.net about it.

Inquire of Canon, you might be surprised.
I saw that earlier today! I'm trying to find out what it covers. Meanwhile, what issues do you have that you think might be tackled if we did get access?

Asher

Asher, since I use my camera in full manual mode 99.9% of the time, and capture to RAW and throw the JPEGs away, my only gripe with the camera is the Direct Print button. If someone could figure a way to make it usable for some CF purpose, that would probably be popular.

I use AF only when shooting events, and virtually never use Auto exposure. I use the camera's internal meter in Spot mode in a manner similar to "match needle" modes on old manual-only TTL metering cameras, like the Spotmatic.

When I'm shooting an event, I set the AF Lock to the * button, but that's the only CF I use.

<Chas>

As for focus adjust. We should be able to do this is software and I predict it won't be long*.

Not Canon but a step that may be followed. For the announced Olympus E-30 the micro focus adjust is related to a focal lenght and, if selected, specific AF point. Multiple settings may be stored. One of the features I will be following user experience on with interest once the camera is released.

Martin

Asher Kelman

The E-30 looks to be a good addition to the Olympus line. I will have one to look at shortly, all being well!

Asher