• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge: Your finest pictures only: "The Beautiful Lake in Landscape" collection"

Challenge: Your finest pictures only: "The Beautiful Lake in Landscape" collection"

This is the second "Collection" in OPF. The first "Skilled Workman" is doing well. Now we introduce the second collection.

Nanthaniel's impressive photograph of the truly Turquise Lake Tekapo in New Zealand starts this collection of "Lakes". His picture was first shown here .

We are assembling collections of photographs covering a related topic. This should make interesting viewing. I selected these images as a start. The collection is meant to be dynamic. You are invited to post images here on this topic, "Lakes" Give a title with your posted image and a short introduction to it. You are also invited to succinctly C&C. any posted image. Refer to the image title and the photographer in your brief comment.

Note that this is to be a dynamic collection, so, some images might be sooner or later copied and/or moved to another thread for discussion! If this happens we'll PM you as to the new location.We'd really like more submissions for this collection of "Lakes"

Enjoy!

Don't adjust your monitor. The lake is famous for its spectacular turqoise color, attributed to the glacial flour. Perhaps a bit of a post card, but irresistable to me.

1328LakeTekapo-med.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Challenge: The Lake in Landscape collection

stopped by Crater Lake on my way home from Oregon in July, and found the weather perfect. i only wish i'd had more than 3 hours to spend there! having been there once, now i plan to go back when i can spend 3 DAYS shooting this amazing place...

CraterLakepano3sm.jpg

This was first shown here.

Allen Maestas

Challenge: The Lake in Landscape collection

One of my favorite images from white sands, hope you enjoy it too.

Al

231317760-X3.jpg

This image was first shown here.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
You are invited to post images here on this topic, "Lakes" Give a title with your posted image and a short introduction to it. You are also invited to succinctly C&C. any posted image. Refer to the image title and the photographer in your brief comment.

Note that this is to be a dynamic collection, so, some images might be sooner or later copied and/or moved to another thread for discussion! If this happens we'll PM you as to the new location.We'd really like more submissions for this collection of "Lakes"

Enjoy!

Picture Lake & Mt. Shuksan

This is an old one I have posted before, but it certainly is on topic.

SPC05188c_08.jpg

Mt. Shuksan reflected in Picture Lake

This is a cliche image of Mt. Shuksan from Heather Meadows over Picture Lake on the North-East slopes of Mt. Baker in North Cascades National Park, Washington State, USA.

enjoy,

Sean

Reflection Lakes & Mt. Rainier

Another famous cliche of a lake, Reflection Lakes (there are three IIRC, this is the largest) on the Southern slopes of Mt. Rainier looking towards the summit.

SPE26869_ACR4.jpg

Reflection Lakes and Mt. Rainier

This was shot on a flawless Autumn morning hence the clear skies.

For those outside the USA, this was taken in Mt. Rainier National Park, Washington State, USA.

enjoy,

Sean

Peregos Lagoon

One last one. This is Peregos Lagoon which happens to be one of the last virgin stretches of shore in the greater Puget Sound region (it is on Admiralty Inlet which is a separate body of water from the Puget Sound, both of which are elements of the Salish Sea*).

SPE22617_RSE_01.jpg

Peregos Lagoon, Ebey's Landing, Whidbey Island, Washington State, USA

This body of water at the base of a bluff is technically a lagoon and not a lake. The sky was created by a stormfront coming in off the Pacific Ocean.

enjoy,

Sean

* The label, Salish Sea, is unlikely to be found outside of academic works due to the fact that the Salish Sea crosses and international boundary between the USA and Canada leading to brutish colloquialisms that are extremely ignorant in text and subtext.

StuartRae

We are assembling collections of photographs covering a related topic.

I'm rather unsure of the purpose of these collections. If it's to provide a set of technically excellent 'stock' photos then the examples I'm about to post are out of place. If so then please feel free to (re)move them.

Stuart

So here are three pictures from the old film days, accompanied by extracts from the diary I used to keep.

================================================

The Last Boatman, Derwentwater.
Thursday November 2nd 1988
"When we returned from our walk it was still quite early, so we wandered down to the lake. As the sun went down it got very cold, but the views across the lake were superb."

076s.jpg

Autumn Colours, Wastwater
Sunday October 14th 1990
It was a beautiful sunny autumn afternoon, and the view back along Wastwater was perfect. It took a great deal of effort to get to our feet again and complete the walk.

005.jpg

Sunset over Derwentwater
Sunday November 6th 1994
"After a long day on the fells we caught the last launch back to Keswick. It was all I could do to hobble up the slight slope away from the landing stages, kept going only by the aroma of frying chips from the Old Keswickian. I suddenly realised that several people were staring intently at something behind me, and I turned round to be confronted by a magnificent sunset."

006.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Desert Reflection

I was shooting the Abert Rim, near the Oregon/Calif. border last year when I turned around to find this serene reflection of the far shore.

Abert Lake is an alkaline lake that supports little life, so few birds disturb its smooth surface

6350168-md.jpg

Canon 30D w/ EF-S 17-85 IS
72mm
f/11
1/400
ISO 200
manual focus and exposure RAW capture

Asher Kelman

Markus,

This last picture of the dock projecting out towards the water and the overbearing sky is impressive. The soft, winding (? bicycle) wheel tracks add a sense of the meandering path to some important point in life, a version of the grand metaphor, "Life as a Journey!"

Asher

Barry Johnston

Lake Ianthe, New Zealand...

My wife and I were driving our campervan along the west coast of South Island New Zealand when I accidentally discovered this lake. I could tell you how I accidentally came across it, but it is a bit embarrassing, to say the least, so will leave it to your imaginations.

Impressive view of the Southern Alps leading to the tallest mountain in New Zealand, Mount Cook, along with Franz Josef and Fox glaciers.

Lake Ianthe
original.jpg

Lake Matheson - View of Mount Cook
original.jpg

Barry

Asher Kelman

Hi Barry,

Thanks so much for your sharing you accidental finding in New Zealand's South Island. Few of us have even visited Kiwi land, especially now that we grow then so well in California!

The first scene, surpising as it might have been for you driving your caravan at 85 MPH, is actually not the picture to show.

Your second photograph is outstanding The way the reflections of the snow covered mountain range is painted in water colors is adds beauty and central interest to the composition. How to print this is another matter. I'd like to know what you have done so far. Did you take other pictures at the same time. I'd love to see people always take adjacent overlappping images at the same exposure so one can decide later or not whether one might want to complete a curve of alse add more sky.

Good job!

Asher

Robert Mielke

Crater Lake in May

Since my original post lost it's photograph somehow I've had to repost it all. Forgive the inconvenience. This photo was taken on my return from a motorcycle rally in Fortuna, CA last May. My traveling companion and I took a chance that the park might be open since the second week in May is early for this part of Oregon. We were fortunate that they had just plowed the roads. The shot was taken in May, 2007 with a Nikon L12 pocket digital.

269339082_FHpQK-XL.jpg

Barry Johnston

Lakes...

Hello Asher,
Many thanks for your comments, they are very much appreciated. I had to walk around 5 km's in order to take this photo. You can be sure I have more than one. I will search my files for others which I will show you. They are all different compositions as well.

Bob, I really like your Crater Lake. It must really be a beautiful place to visit. Interesting to know the history on how it was created.

Thanks,
Barry

Asher Kelman

Hi Bob,

Great persistence in finding the image to repost! It's worthwhile and also shows the value of carrying a digicam.

Meanwhile this photograph with the Nikon L12, which only manages F2.8 - F4.7 is remarkable! I would have preferred to see the base of the impressive trees anchoring the picture at the lower left.

This bay with its green island is a spectacular scene. Was this the jpg as is? It might be that there's more in the lighter coral blue patterns by the shallower waters off the edge of the island. Also I wonder why we can't see reflections of the island in the water? Are we too high up?

Asher

Side note on small digicams: People underestimate and forget the beautiful quality that even a small 7MP digicam can capture. At $139 this should be a must-carry-with-you-camera one cannot lose on. Still, I'd like a camera with a higher max f stop. Well, they don't like to do give it because the diffraction of that aperture would degrade the picture quality. So that's something we have to live with. However, f5.6 should still be workable, Mr. Nikon!!

Barry Johnston

Mount Cook, New Zealand

This is another view of Mount Cook reflection over Lake Matheson.

The only adjustments made are slight sharpening and shadow/highlight in PS, with slight adjustment of colour.

[
IMG]http://www.pbase.com/barryvj171/image/95667810/original.jpg[/IMG]

original.jpg

Barry

Robert Mielke

Thanks for the kind words Asher. I've been using pocket digicams for about 5 years. BecauseI practically live on a motorcycle they are very convenient and do a nice job for their size. I wish they had a RAW format in the less expensive cameras. I traded that L12 for a treadmill after getting my Nikon D40X this Christmas. It also gets a lot of use. LOL

Robert Mielke

Hi Bob,

Great persistence in finding the image to repost! It's worthwhile and also shows the value of carrying a digicam.

Meanwhile this photograph with the Nikon L12, which only manages F2.8 - F4.7 is remarkable! I would have preferred to see the base of the impressive trees anchoring the picture at the lower left.

This bay with its green island is a spectacular scene. Was this the jpg as is? It might be that there's more in the lighter coral blue patterns by the shallower waters off the edge of the island. Also I wonder why we can't see reflections of the island in the water? Are we too high up?

Asher

Side note on small digicams: People underestimate and forget the beautiful quality that even a small 7MP digicam can capture. At $139 this should be a must-carry-with-you-camera one cannot lose on. Still, I'd like a camera with a higher max f stop. Well, they don't like to do give it because the diffraction of that aperture would degrade the picture quality. So that's something we have to live with. However, f5.6 should still be workable, Mr. Nikon!!

I would have like to get a better angle on the lake/cauldron but I was literally standing on the edge of a cliff in deep snow. Maybe my camping trip there this June/July will yield better results. I'll be packing my D40X Nikon.

Roy Stuart

Waterfoul Lake in Alberta!

Majestic Mount Cephren overlooks Waterhen Lake on the Icefields Parkway, Highway 93, North of Lake Louise, Alberta, and some days the reflection is to die for!

5D-14-10-2007-037.jpg

Taken with a Canon 5d and 17-40 F4.0 L + CPL Filter.

Barry Johnston

Amazing Waterfoul....

Hi Roy,
To me, that is an absolutely outstanding image..... it is breathtaking mate, and you are right, it is to die for.

Views like this make one realize how we (the human race) have to tread ever so lightly to leave as little footprint behind on the earth as we can manage... it seems ever more challenging these days...

This photo is so beautiful, thank you for sharing it....

Regards,
Barry

Robert Mielke

Roy, that is a one of a kind shot. I traveled across America in 2006 in my move from South Carolina to Oregon. The 3000 mile journey by truck opened my eyes to the grand beauty of this country. It made me feel so small yet vitally important to keep it this way. Thanks for sharing this treasure.

Frozen lake in Landscape.. Rainbow Lake, MT

54177001.jpg

41 44 36 N 114 44 36 W
Model Canon EOS-1D Mark II
Focal Length 47 mm
Exposure Time 1/200 sec
Aperture f/10
ISO Equivalent 250​

Asher Kelman

Majestic Mount Cephren overlooks Waterhen Lake on the Icefields Parkway, Highway 93, North of Lake Louise, Alberta, and some days the reflection is to die for!

5D-14-10-2007-037.jpg

Taken with a Canon 5d and 17-40 F4.0 L + CPL Filter.​

This is stunning! Others might have removed the old wood on the right of the lower picture. I like the anchoring effect and the way it gives us a sense of depth to the rest of the scene. What a beautiful planet we have. Am I too wishful in my desire to believe that such pictures will persuade us to protect such beauty?

Asher

Roy Stuart

Slivers of Light!

The most beautiful scene in the world is enhanced by the rising sun highlighting the tree tops on Moraine Lake, Alberta in the Valley of the Ten Peaks!

5D-28-09-2008_0090.jpg

Taken with a Canon 5D + 17-40mm F4.0 L lens.

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Roy,
What a splendid image. It evokes a sense of serenity as do other fine images you've posted. If I might make one comment/question - do you think the image would improve if you lightened the foreground trees (left and right sides) a bit to bring out some detail? In any case, the image is quite spectacular! Well done!