• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Goosenecks

Steve Robinson

Goosenecks State Park in southern Utah is an amazing series of switchbacks of the San Juan river. The river is a thousand feet below the overlook. Taken with a Pentax K20D and DA* 16-50mm f/2.8.

435973692_RXs5L-O.jpg

435975406_NUkKB-O.jpg

435973697_L437f-O.jpg

4. I have acrophobia and found it hard to get as close to the edge as my brother Lee.
435975414_CjPyh-O.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The images are glorious and so worthy of discussion and prints to spread the joy on what our planet is made of. However, the last picture reminds me of mishaps by being too confident.

Goosenecks State Park in southern Utah is an amazing series of switchbacks of the San Juan River. The river is a thousand feet below the overlook. Taken with a Pentax K20D and DA* 16-50mm f/2.8.

4. I have acrophobia and found it hard to get as close to the edge as my brother Lee.
435975414_CjPyh-O.jpg
This last one scares me, as twice I have been so into my photography that I have totally forgotten where the front tripod legs were placed! I have vowed to have a spotter or else tether the tripod to my car or a tree!

Letting go of the camera does not necessarily mean one saves oneself!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Goosenecks State Park in southern Utah is an amazing series of switchbacks of the San Juan river. The river is a thousand feet below the overlook. Taken with a Pentax K20D and DA* 16-50mm f/2.8.

435973692_RXs5L-O.jpg

This first picture is most satisfying as one has the switchback as the main form and then the sky. The river, interestingly is green meaning it's very slow-flowing. I wonder whether this is just seasonal or does it mean that diversions and dams have stolen much of the rivers higher waters?

These natural colors are so pleasing and a great manifestation of our attachment to greens and browns of life on the planet.

Asher

Steve Robinson

I think my brother would not try to follow his brand new D300 over the edge, but I was keeping an eye on him.

The San Juan was probably running slowly because over the summer and fall the snowfields have long since melted away and there has been a drought of late.

Now that I look at images 2 & 3 I think I may have over processed them. I think I'll go back and revisit them. I was trying to compensate for a hazy morning and low sun angle. I did use a GND filter on the camera but it didn't help much, but it was my first try with it. I know, excuses, excuses!

Asher Kelman

I think my brother would not try to follow his brand new D300 over the edge, but I was keeping an eye on him.

The San Juan was probably running slowly because over the summer and fall the snowfields have long since melted away and there has been a drought of late.

Now that I look at images 2 & 3 I think I may have over processed them. I think I'll go back and revisit them. I was trying to compensate for a hazy morning and low sun angle. I did use a GND filter on the camera but it didn't help much, but it was my first try with it. I know, excuses, excuses!
Steve!

Excuses? For what? These pictures are stunning in their beauty. The warning about the tripod is the we lean forward. when the tripod goes down, the photographer can follow. His position is very scary and you must tell him not to do that. It's second nature to move the tripod a tad without not always each time looking at the tripod feet!

The criticism I'd give, if any that's important, is to shoot wider. That as a general rule is always relevant. always take overlapping shots on each side to have the choice of recomposing later, no matter how certain one is. At home, one does not have the vista on either side present as in the location. So if you need more, after all, you'll have the choice.

Asher

Steve Robinson

Thanks for the comments Asher. I was using my 16-50 at 16mm, but I can see your point. It would also open up the possibility of a photo merge.

Thanks for sharing these. Your images are encouraging me to do something with the ones I made there a couple of years ago.

Southern Utah is indeed pano paradise. I came home with about a dozen including one made at the San Juan Goosenecks (I won't hijack your thread with it).

When I think about the number of times I put myself at risk trying to "optimally place" my tripod for a pano, I become convinced the the canyon floors must be littered with tripods, cameras and skeletons.