• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Colorado Rockies

John Angulat

pro member
Doing some folder clean-up and came across a few shots from last year's trip to the Colorado Rockies. Thought I'd put some up for view...

Just after sunrise, outside of Leadville, CO:

angulatX121.jpg

From inside Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park, early morning just before a storm:

angulatX116.jpg

Steve Robinson

Both images are good but #2 is really striking. It has great comp and grabs and holds my attention. The Rockies can provide a lot of opportunities for great photographs.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi John,

You have made a distinct color palette. What are you doing aand what are the ideas behind it. I feel that I'd like to know enough to explain this as if I was a curator in a gallery explaining your art!

Asher

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Steve,
Thank you kindly for the compliment. I think the second image works well due to the sense (or lack of being able to judge) of magnitude. You just cannot get your head around how far into the distance your eye is actually seeing. The peaks in the distance all exceed 10,000'.
I also shot this image with the erie knowlege of being the only visitor in the park that morning ( I had been chatting it up with the park ranger at the entrance a few minutes earlier).

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Asher,
I wish I could give you a telling or succinct explanation, but at risk to disappoint you I must admit mostly... "well, they just came out that way".
For much of my early spring trip the weather was quite uncooperative - generally heavy overcast with intermittent snow. My eyes saw much more than I knew my camera (or my expertise) could ever capture. Consequently I shot most of my images bracketed up to +/- 5 stops. The hope was to pull something usable out at a later date using Photomatix's HDR software. The results you see here are some of that. I'm not a big fan of the overly processed HDR shots you see posted around elsewhere and the artificial "cartoon" effect doesn't hold my attention. I think these images are on the hairy edge of that. The saturation is high for the color range available (the foreground grasses) and almost desaturated in the distant views due to the inclement weather.