• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Grasshopper

Mark Doodeman

If I had only closed the aperture down a few stops! I still like it though-

Make FUJIFILM Model FinePix S8100fd
Aperture Value f/4.9 Color Space sRGB
Exposure Bias Value 0 EV Exposure Program Aperture Priority
Flash No Flash Focal Length 9.8 mm
ISO 100 Metering Mode Spot
Shutter Speed Value 1/10 sec Date/Time Sat 13 Sep 2008 05:49:11 PM PDT

Make FUJIFILM Model FinePix S8100fd
Aperture Value f/4.9 Color Space sRGB
Exposure Bias Value 0 EV Exposure Program Aperture Priority
Flash No Flash Focal Length 9.8 mm
ISO 100 Metering Mode Spot
Shutter Speed Value 1/5 sec Date/Time Sat 13 Sep 2008 05:46:24 PM PDT

Both full 10MP shots, so some really good detail. I think these turned out well, but I learned from these- maybe go ISO 200 so I can get some better depth of field with aperture. Any comments or crituques, let em fly!

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Mark,

Was this on a tripod? Even then 1/10 of a second is rather slow unless one has a heavy camera with no mirror A Mamiya VII film camera might do, for example.

Why your picture is so light I don't know. I guess it's over exposed. However, the profile is nor over to the right. Maybe I'm mistaken and the insect does indeed look ghostly in real life. We have these creatures coming in our house and sometimes I just let them wander around as they don't do any harm except for minute droppings!

I processed your picture to increase the density. I'm not really happy yet but at least it's more defined.

20080913-174911 copy.jpg

Please change that big notice!

I like your subjects. I saw the light version with your post of a building. I wonder if you might try under esxposing by 1/3 of a stop or so.

Keep on shooting!

For the insect shots, are you using a tripod and do you have a DSLR with a macro lens for these shots?

Asher

Mark Doodeman

Hi Mark,

Was this on a tripod? Even then 1/10 of a second is rather slow unless one has a heavy camera with no mirror A Mamiya VII film camera might do, for example.

Why your picture is so light I don't know. I guess it's over exposed. However, the profile is nor over to the right. Maybe I'm mistaken and the insect does indeed look ghostly in real life. We have these creatures coming in our house and sometimes I just let them wander around as they don't do any harm except for minute droppings!

I processed your picture to increase the density. I'm not really happy yet but at least it's more defined.

Please change that big notice!

I like your subjects. I saw the light version with your post of a building. I wonder if you might try under esxposing by 1/3 of a stop or so.

Keep on shooting!

For the insect shots, are you using a tripod and do you have a DSLR with a macro lens for these shots?

Asher

I'm going to fix that big notice as soon as I get home today.

Thanks for processing that for me- seeing that, I now definately see that I am overexposing. I will experiment with some bracketing and see the results. Depending on the photo, these are being shot from a tripod on two legs, rested up against the area I use to shoot macro, or with the camera off tripod and braced against a support on my shooting area.

I have an aversion to post-processing through photoshop or the Gimp (my favorite), but I think I need to start doing so. The difference between my shot and the one you processed is pretty big.

When these were taken, I (thought I) didn't have adequate light to shoot at a faster shutter speed. The grasshopper was cooperative and still, so I think I did pretty well for 1/10.

My camera is a Fuji S8100fd- not a DSLR, still a pretty good camera, especially for the money.

I'm a beginner, and really appreciate your comments. Thanks!