• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nikon 24 mm F2.8

Steve Saunders

Yes I have had one for years. It's quite sharp with no more distortion than you would expect. I stopped using it when I bought a Sigma 20mm f1.8, which I find sharper and gives better colour but is more prone to flare.

Here's a shot with a 24mm f2.8 AI:

_MRF2313-2.jpg

3200ISO, 1/20sec.

There is some perspective distortion (due to the angle of view) but that's OK for me and I don't feel compelled to correct it. It's sharp enough, particularly in this case where objects are not moving.

Regards,
Murray

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here's a shot with a 24mm f2.8 AI:

_MRF2313-2.jpg

3200ISO, 1/20sec.

There is some perspective distortion (due to the angle of view) but that's OK for me and I don't feel compelled to correct it. It's sharp enough, particularly in this case where objects are not moving.

Regards,
Murray

Murray,

I'd not have thought of distortion here, the social content overrides any fussy considerations. Even the keyboard and photographer on the right partially shown work and add a sense of just sampling what is really happening in life for all those folk. This is a great focal length and at 24mm one can get even closer and so perspective could really be an issue.

I hope you shot more of the fellow in the corner. What sort of music were they playing, BTW as the musician in the corner seems to be playing unusual instrument. Also that wind instrument seems rather long! Is that an aborigine pipe of some sort?

Asher

Last edited:
Murray,

I hope you shot more of the fellow in the corner. What sort of music were they playing, BTW as the musician in the corner seems to be playing unusual instrument. Also that wind instrument seems rather long! Is that an aborigine pipe of some sort?

Asher
I'm a bit slow to respond because I forgot to subscribe to the thread....

It was the 60th birthday party of a friend of mine, Brian Wakefield, leader of a Sydney Rhythm and Blues band called the Layabouts from the late 60s to the early 90s. The music therefore was predominately Blues. There are another 42 images here.

The musician in the corner is playing an Appalachian dulcimer. Sorry, I don't know his name, but there is another shot of him in the slideshow above. Another musician friend, Skip Landy (together with Kate Meehan, who just turned up en route to Thredbo Blues Festival) was able to provide the answer.

The musician at the back is Charlie MacMhon who I shared a house with for a while in the late seventies and the instrument he is playing is apparantly called a digeribone (presumably = digeridoo + trombone ==> a "digeidoo" with slide).

As you may imagine, it was quite a night!

Regards,

Murray