• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How Many Times Can You Install CS4?

doug anderson

Dear Folks: Can you install it infinite numbers of times on the same computer? How many different computers can you install it on before the software police cut you off?

Thanks,

D

I believe the standard Adobe EULA says 2 computers, not to be used simultaneously, but I don't know if it can tell if they are both being used.

Since Adobe products use "call home" activation, I don't think the 3rd installation would work, but I don't know.

<Chas>

Andrew Rodney

Dear Folks: Can you install it infinite numbers of times on the same computer? How many different computers can you install it on before the software police cut you off?

You can install it on as many computers as you wish! But you can only activate two machines per license. That means deactivating on machine #2 before activating on machine #3. Very easy and quick to do (at least on the Mac, the command is accessible under the Help menu).

doug anderson

You can install it on as many computers as you wish! But you can only activate two machines per license. That means deactivating on machine #2 before activating on machine #3. Very easy and quick to do (at least on the Mac, the command is accessible under the Help menu).

This gets better and better.

Thanks.

JohnZeman

In addition to that if you do like I do, and regularly clone and swap out the operating system hard drive, you do not have to deactivate/reactivate Photoshop during the process. At least that's true for CS3, I haven't upgraded to CS4.

JohanElzenga

Do you use Macintosh or Windows? I've found that on a Macintosh that does indeed work, because the activation is written to an invisible file that gets cloned as well. I understand that on a Windows system the activation code is written to some special boot sector of the drive, which does normally not get cloned.

JohnZeman

Johan I'm using Windows XP Pro.

Rachel although I've never tried it I would imagine you could install it on an external hard drive, however I'd be surprised if the Photoshop would run (licensed anyway) on any machine other than the one used to install the program in the first place. That's an interesting question.

doug anderson

Do you use Macintosh or Windows? I've found that on a Macintosh that does indeed work, because the activation is written to an invisible file that gets cloned as well. I understand that on a Windows system the activation code is written to some special boot sector of the drive, which does normally not get cloned.

I use Windows.

John Sheehy

Johan I'm using Windows XP Pro.

Rachel although I've never tried it I would imagine you could install it on an external hard drive, however I'd be surprised if the Photoshop would run (licensed anyway) on any machine other than the one used to install the program in the first place. That's an interesting question.

You can activate it on two machines. At least I've done that with CS and CS2.