• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Waterfront Stroll: A study in lines

DLibrach

Finally got out on Saturday for a stroll with some fellow photographers/friends along the Halifax waterfront/downtown for some 'me' photography. We try to do this every few weeks but haven't had a chance for a couple of months. Since I take this stroll often, I wanted to pick a theme to work on to keep things fresh. C&C always appreciated.

All shot with 5D, 70-200L F4IS with pp in Lightroom/CS2. Hope you enjoy.....

David

Ropes of a docked ship:
452684868_BxnKW-M.jpg

Roofline of a building along our Historic Properties
452683729_GfFCi-M-1.jpg

Boat mast reflecting in the water
452682802_jGmtA-M-1.jpg

Currogated metal siding of a shed
452689863_mbYAr-M-1.jpg

PS: I don't know if this qualifies as street photography per say, so mods, please feel free to relocate as appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cem_Usakligil

Finally got out on Saturday for a stroll with some fellow photographers/friends along the Halifax waterfront/downtown for some 'me' photography. We try to do this every few weeks but haven't had a chance for a couple of months. Since I take this stroll often, I wanted to pick a theme to work on to keep things fresh. C&C always appreciated.

All shot with 5D, 70-200L F4IS with pp in Lightroom/CS2. Hope you enjoy.....

David

PS: I don't know if this qualifies as street photography per say, so mods, please feel free to relocate as appropriate.

Hi David,

I have really enjoyed looking at these, thanks for sharing. It makes a lot of sense giving yourself an appointment, otherwise you may end up taking the same familiar pictures when visiting the same locations. So your theme was lines, right? Taking that into account, I like the #1 and #4 better than #2 and #3. Re. #2, I would like to see more of the blue sky on the top right hand corner, I think it would balance the composition better (personal opinion).

#1 is a good composition making excellent use of the shadows of the ropes. But #4 is the one I keep coming back to, eventually. So simple yet so elegant.

Cheers,

PS: I thought of moving the thread to another forum but I couldn't come up with anything better than the Landscape/travel one. AFAIK, it can stay here just as well.

Rod Witten

pro member
David,

I favor #2 and #3. While number 3 stands alone, the second image teases me with the wonderful window panes. I wonder how isolating the window and panes as a group would work.

R.E

DLibrach

.....I thought of moving the thread to another forum but I couldn't come up with anything better than the Landscape/travel one. AFAIK, it can stay here just as well.

Thanks for leaving this up here for discussion. This section seemed the closest fit (although not a perfect one).

...Re. #2, I would like to see more of the blue sky on the top right hand corner, I think it would balance the composition better (personal opinion)...

Intersting. My thoughts were actually the opposite. I intentionally only included a sliver of the sky as I felt that any more would make the overall image too top heavy. Plus I wanted just a splash of the blue to set off the red of the building without having the blue dominate the image. My initial thoughts were to cut out the sky enitrely out but I realized that I needed the diagonal element of the roof line. However, I was concerned that showing too much of the sky would make the image a bit to top heavy and overpower the window in the bottom left.

...#1 is a good composition making excellent use of the shadows of the ropes. But #4 is the one I keep coming back to, eventually. So simple yet so elegant...

#4 is definitely more reflective of what I like to do and is one of my favorites from the day. I'll definitely be printing it out (Epson, velvet?). Other than a cleaning of dust spots and a slight contrast adjustment, it is pretty much as is from the original RAW.

With #1, I was torn between including or not-including the actual rope that is creating the shadow coming dowe from the top-right to the bottom left. Eventually I decided to leave it out and keep things simple. Glad you like it.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment and I appreciate the different perspective.

David

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Your images may seem like a "study in lines" but, in fact, they're studies in mass and figure ground. The lines create visual masses which interact with each other. The images, as a whole, represent a nice demonstration of how many potentially interesting elemental scenes are actually embedded in otherwise dull, cliché travel-snap scenes.

Restraint, rather than excess, is a key to captivating photography. Nicely done.

DLibrach

David,

I favor #2 and #3. While number 3 stands alone, the second image teases me with the wonderful window panes. I wonder how isolating the window and panes as a group would work.

R.E

Thanks Rod for taking the time to check out the images and for your comments.

re: #3 - I love photographing reflections at the harbour and have amassed quite a bit of a collection of them over the years. Like a snowflake, no two are ever the same. Through trial and error, I've learned a few techniques over the years to increase my changes of capturing what it is I see but pure luck still plays a big role. This one reminded me of asian (chinese or japanese) lettering. Glad you enjoyed it.

re: #2 - Are you talking about including the whole window frame against the siding without the roof line in the corner? I hadn't taken that version this time around but will experiment some more with that next time I'm down there. Recently I've been experimenting with cutting off various elements and only showing parts of it.

David

DLibrach

Your images may seem like a "study in lines" but, in fact, they're studies in mass and figure ground. The lines create visual masses which interact with each other. The images, as a whole, represent a nice demonstration of how many potentially interesting elemental scenes are actually embedded in otherwise dull, cliché travel-snap scenes.

Restraint, rather than excess, is a key to captivating photography. Nicely done.

Thank you very much for the kind words, Ken! I easily gets distracted in life and have trouble focusing my mind. I use my photography to slow things down and break up the chaos of my surroundings. This tends to result in simple, uncomplicated elements and compositions. Glad you enjoy them.

David

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Thank you very much for the kind words, Ken! I easily gets distracted in life and have trouble focusing my mind. I use my photography to slow things down and break up the chaos of my surroundings. This tends to result in simple, uncomplicated elements and compositions. Glad you enjoy them.

David

Ken,

It always harder to comment after you, Ken as you draw lines in the sand which I mostly agree with. You candor is important to OPF and your comments are valuable. Yes we do like the pictures, but is that as far as they can go? A photographer must develop a vision. That means seeing with many choices of eyes and attitudes.

David,

I found it even harder to look at each of the pictures together, even though you call this a "Study in Lines". I still need a personal interview with each photograph, unless they really have to work together exactly as shown.

So first of all I added white space between each of your photographs to give each some "wall space" they deserve. If I'm terribly mistaken, I'll remove the white space. Immediately I respond to the pictures with interest. So that to me is a great start.

Cropping: too tight? Not tight enough? I find the close crops, which are so popular, are often far too wide for the most interesting challenges of studies I see in the photograph. More commonly, they are the opposite, too small for allowing some conflict, balance or exchange with adjacent or distant objects, lines, masses or living things excluded. It's the latter case which, in my opinion condemns most photographs to being only "nice" and not competing for something more distinguished. Since photography is about choosing and excluding, here you are working at the junction of success and failure.

What is it unique that's being captured? What goes beyond "the postcard beautiful sunset" or "bambi" that we might often see. Any one of these are great subjects to work on. When I use the word "work" I use that in the hardest meaning. If the picture is obviously pretty, unless you are Bresson with one camera and one mind day after day, that sudden snap will likely not be more than nice.

The 4 pictures to me demonstrate that you see in these subjects a wealth of possibilities. That is where Ken and I, I think, agree.

Is this one work, "A Study in Lines" or examples of ongoing work, a study in lines? I think the latter as I don't immediately see the connection between each of the pictures shown together. Maybe, shown horizontally on a wall, they'd come alive. There may then be a dynamic in the room more powerful and valuable than with each one shown as a "list". The setting we allow art can modulate reactions they might evoke.

Are these, in fact, meant to be shown together or you happened to do that? If you do indeed think of these as one joined set, then explore the idea of using elements in one composition. Now, that's my way of thinking and while I don't want to intrude on you own creative authorship, it's offered as an approach for you also to consider if these elements are intended to work off each other. If they are grouped as you have presented them by happenstance, then please ignore my suggestion.

Where to post? Since this is really about the form and potential studies, choose what you will do with this. For a long term project, it would go to "Riskit". For finished art to "Photography as Art" or else, for discussion of the design and structure of such pictures, "Still Photo". The latter seems to be most appropriate.

Thanks for sharing and challenging us.

Asher

Last edited:

Rod Witten

pro member
Thanks Rod for taking the time to check out the images and for your comments.

re: #3 - I love photographing reflections at the harbour and have amassed quite a bit of a collection of them over the years. Like a snowflake, no two are ever the same. Through trial and error, I've learned a few techniques over the years to increase my changes of capturing what it is I see but pure luck still plays a big role. This one reminded me of asian (chinese or japanese) lettering. Glad you enjoyed it.

re: #2 - Are you talking about including the whole window frame against the siding without the roof line in the corner? I hadn't taken that version this time around but will experiment some more with that next time I'm down there. Recently I've been experimenting with cutting off various elements and only showing parts of it.

David

David,

Yes, more window, slightly framed by siding and no roof. While the color is a plus - the window panes may be interesting in B/W

Ken Tanaka

pro member
It's interesting to see others' reactions to these images.

In my opinion, that image of the clapboarded building is just about perfect. When I used the word "elemental" earlier I had this image particularly in mind. It features exactly the elements in the right proportions it needs to convey the wider scene. The fact that others want to see more of the window serves as strong testimonial to this opinion. They know very well how it would look. But the image's tension (of concealment) puts viewers on edge. Most people want to see symmetry and completeness. But, of course, symmetry and completeness are most often dull as dust and present instantly forgettable images.

No, that second image is the strongest composition and presentation of the four.

DLibrach

I found it even harder to look at each of the pictures together, even though you call this a "Study in Lines". I still need a personal interview with each photograph, unless they really have to work together exactly as shown.

So first of all I added white space between each of your photographs to give each some "wall space" they deserve. If I'm terribly mistaken, I'll remove the white space. Immediately I respond to the pictures with interest. So that to me is a great start.

....Is this one work, "A Study in Lines" or examples of ongoing work, a study in lines? I think the latter as I don't immediately see the connection between each of the pictures shown together. Maybe, shown horizontally on a wall, they'd come alive. There may then be a dynamic in the room more powerful and valuable than with each one shown as a "list". The setting we allow art can modulate reactions they might evoke.

Are these, in fact, meant to be shown together or you happened to do that? If you do indeed think of these as one joined set, then explore the idea of using elements in one composition. Now, that's my way of thinking and while I don't want to intrude on you own creative authorship, it's offered as an approach for you also to consider if these elements are intended to work off each other. If they are grouped as you have presented them by happenstance, then please ignore my suggestion.

I can see where you are coming from. While there are certain commonalities between them, they do not work as a collection. At least not those four without including others and text to help with the context.

My images from that day were simply a creative exercise to find new images from a familiar place. You have given me much to think and will use that idea (of a more cohesive collection) as my intent next time out. It is not always possible to photograph in a new location each time out and by challenging myself with these sort of things, I can re-discover a location time and time again.

Cropping: too tight? Not tight enough? I find the close crops, which are so popular, are often far too wide for the most interesting challenges of studies I see in the photograph. More commonly, they are the opposite, too small for allowing some conflict, balance or exchange with adjacent or distant objects, lines, masses or living things excluded. It's the latter case which, in my opinion condemns most photographs to being only "nice" and not competing for something more distinguished. Since photography is about choosing and excluding, here you are working at the junction of success and failure.

Would you care to expand on that a bit? I feel you are bringing up a very interesting discussion but I need a bit more to better understand what you are saying so that I can include my own thoughts. Are you saying that to you, these particular images are neither not cropped enough nor wide enough? Personally, I find too many images either include too much information or not enough. Instead, I like to tease a bit by giving enough to draw you in without giving away the whole kit-and-kaboodle. Did these go too far, not enough, or both?

The 4 pictures to me demonstrate that you see in these subjects a wealth of possibilities. That is where Ken and I, I think, agree.

Yes, I believe there is an infinite set of possibilities where ever you are. You just need to stop and look.

My work, for the most part, is simply what my world looks like to me. I 'discovered' photography almost four years ago. Until then, I was unable to communicate to others how or what I saw. With the exception of a few bodies of work (i.e. my Nicaraguan, coffee harvesting), there is not a specific goal or intent. It's just something that I need to do for my own, personal reasons. Often I will head out and just take mental photographs (without a camera). This is my form of communication. Sometimes it's a conversation to be shared with others, sometimes it's just for myself. I am however, trying to concentrate more on the former as I've remained introverted for too long.

Thanks again for everyone's comments.

David

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi David,

My idea is one first gets stimulated and then explores the possibilities of that idea and we need to work on it until we get as far as we can without killing it. So I like to go out and sample and then figure out what pleases me and what intriguing possibilities does this suggest and now I try to return and take this further. Often it simply does not work for me again but occasionally I find another step of progress and again try to take things further. If I can't return I might reconstruct what I want from other images I have or else try to just draw it and put the project on hold until the right opportunity arises.

The problem occurs in having too many ideas and not completing work. One has to know when to pull out the stops, discard other projects and get important work completed.

So I cannot say you should do this or that to make your project work. I just like the idea of the elements you have chosen to photograph. Just that rope you could photograph for 1 year and never do the same thing twice. The only thing that matters is if something drives you to explore that. If so, and you do see the potential, then work on that and take it to the nth. You will surprise yourself how expert you become in lighting the rope and all you can bring out from just that one structure.

You can also simply take a more dispassionate point of view and just give yourself exercises in making compositions from 1 or 3 or more elements. Then when you are committed and inspired you will have a richer sense of your own ideas to exploit for your work.

You already have shown your own accomplished view of things. I like your photography. This study is hard because, unlike taking a picture of a handsome or interesting person, you have chosen to image what we often pass by without giving much attention. Looking at things we learn to ignore is hard.

One has to therefore explore, practice and somehow take from it what resonates with your taste and sensibilities. When it's done right, the ordinary, should, I think, seem extraordinary. But then I'm not absolutely certain of that as maybe what I'm saying is as pretentious as sunsets are pretty! However, I do feel that the ordinary does become valued when we photograph it well.

Asher

Rod Witten

pro member
It's interesting to see others' reactions to these images.

In my opinion, that image of the clapboarded building is just about perfect. When I used the word "elemental" earlier I had this image particularly in mind. It features exactly the elements in the right proportions it needs to convey the wider scene. The fact that others want to see more of the window serves as strong testimonial to this opinion. They know very well how it would look. But the image's tension (of concealment) puts viewers on edge. Most people want to see symmetry and completeness. But, of course, symmetry and completeness are most often dull as dust and present instantly forgettable images.

No, that second image is the strongest composition and presentation of the four.

Ken,

I believe that image tension needs an active teaser and/or recognizable generator from the viewer's perspective, otherwise the image is disgarded as mearly a curiosity or incomplete study.
Place a portion of a person behind the window pane and I would agree with your tension arguement.

Rod

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Ken,

I believe that image tension needs an active teaser and/or recognizable generator from the viewer's perspective, otherwise the image is disgarded as mearly a curiosity or incomplete study.
Place a portion of a person behind the window pane and I would agree with your tension arguement.

Rod

I understand you, Rod. But adding part of a person in that window would create intrigue, not tension. The entire image would be converted to a human mystery rather than a study of inanimate composition.

No, actually, "tension" in photo/painting/drawing terms is a compositional concept, not a content property. It's hard to succinctly define more accurately than to say that it involves one or more elements placed to play off of other elements. It certainly can, and often does, involve people in an image. (Example: imagine a side-long image of people riding escalators diagonally through the frame, some facing left, others right.) But it's also (even more often) a compositional device established to manage the viewers' eye and to draw upon viewers' imaginations and life recollections. Here in Dave's #2 we have the white corner of that window creating visual tension by representing only a piece of a readily identifiable object AND by anchoring the white roof eave. We all know how such a window and roof line appear in life (recollection), although we're imagining how this building really appears in a wider view.

By no means am I trying to be argumentative or pedantic, Rod. I'm just taking advantage of a rare opportunity to more deeply explore good imagery on the Internet with others. It's the same type of discussion I would have if we were standing in front of this piece in a museum or gallery.

Rod Witten

pro member
I understand you, Rod. But adding part of a person in that window would create intrigue, not tension. The entire image would be converted to a human mystery rather than a study of inanimate composition.

No, actually, "tension" in photo/painting/drawing terms is a compositional concept, not a content property. It's hard to succinctly define more accurately than to say that it involves one or more elements placed to play off of other elements. It certainly can, and often does, involve people in an image. (Example: imagine a side-long image of people riding escalators diagonally through the frame, some facing left, others right.) But it's also (even more often) a compositional device established to manage the viewers' eye and to draw upon viewers' imaginations and life recollections. Here in Dave's #2 we have the white corner of that window creating visual tension by representing only a piece of a readily identifiable object AND by anchoring the white roof eave. We all know how such a window and roof line appear in life (recollection), although we're imagining how this building really appears in a wider view.

By no means am I trying to be argumentative or pedantic, Rod. I'm just taking advantage of a rare opportunity to more deeply explore good imagery on the Internet with others. It's the same type of discussion I would have if we were standing in front of this piece in a museum or gallery.

Ken,

No harm in seeing the academic side once in a while. Do you appy these same compositional concepts to your abstracts? According to Brooks Jensen, Editor of Lenswork Magazine, photographic abstracts do not attract the interest of the market like other subjects. I wonder if this is partially caused by a communication failure between the "dull as dust" public and the academic presentation.

Rod