• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photokina

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
As many of you know, Photokina will be held in Cologne (Köln in germany) from September 26 septembre to october 1st.
Do you think that we may have some announcemnt from Canon there and then?

Tom Wilk

I'm certain that there will be some announcement. But I'm not sure as to what it will be. Many are hoping for a 1-series, while some say that will not happen.

I hope for a surprise of some sort, though I don't know what.

Nill Toulme

The latest "knowledgeable" speculation I've seen is that there will be indeed be an announcement of a new 1-series, but that it won't actually ship until well into 2007.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

nicolas claris

Well, in the past I haven't followed annoucements from Photokina, As I'm waiting and watching for the good news with 1DS3 or whatever it will be called, did Canon use to make important anouncement at Photokina in the past years?
German members, any idea?

JohanElzenga

The 1Ds MkII was announced at Photokina 2004, but not before the show. Personally, I think Canon will not introduce a 1Ds MkIII, but rather a 1Ds MkIIN, with only minor changes like the 1D MkIIN.

JohanElzenga said:
The 1Ds MkII was announced at Photokina 2004, but not before the show.

That's what I seem to remember as well. I did handle one towards the end of the 'kina', but it was not commercially available yet. I got mine in November 2004 at a reasonable discount of the going price, and I didn't have to wait too long after queuing-up either.

Personally, I think Canon will not introduce a 1Ds MkIII, but rather a 1Ds MkIIN, with only minor changes like the 1D MkIIN.

For the moment my crystal ball is a bit foggy, probably because we're not supposed to speculate on such matters in these forums ;-) , but there would probably be little to gain by going to smaller sensels (with higher noise and lower DR) without a finalized Digic III to compensate for some of the losses. The resolution increase would be marginal over the 1Ds MkII, and photon statistics will be worse regardless of the Digic's progress.

Bart

nicolas claris

JohanElzenga said:
The 1Ds MkII was announced at Photokina 2004, but not before the show.
Hey,
that's interesting, maybe we don't have to wait until PMA...
Maybe dust sensor cleaning, 25 Mpix, and a Digic 3 and we'll be the kings !

Jason C Doss

Nicolas Claris said:
...did Canon use [Photokina] to make important anouncement at Photokina in the past years?

Photokina happens every two years. DPReview has the show reports back to 2000. Of interest, the 2004 report shows that Canon announced the 20D on August 19, and the 1DsII on Sept 21. This pattern of making two product announcements (one a month or so before, and one slightly before or during the show) can be tracked to at least 2002, thanks to Phil Askey and DPR.

So, don't assume that Canon has "shot their wad" for Photokina 2006!

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/photokina2004/
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/photokina2002/