• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

GQ Model (one for the girls)

Will Thompson

Will_Thompson_C_2009_256A0556.jpg

Did I miss anything?

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Nice Will. I'd have loved to see him in makeup to hide his skin blemishes or have the skin processed a little more to remove it. But as you know, you are one of my favorite photographers...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Will,

I can see that as you do more, we're getting to see nice work.

Kathy,

Yes, I saw what you see but it might be advantageous to have skin as is for certain acting roles. So it depends on what the agency wants. In that case, the shirt being freshly ironed might be important. One advantage of a well equipped studio is having an ironing board and an iron. It's these little things of finish that can make a difference.

Here they don't bother me so much as it's something that can readily be changed. However the pose and the lighting are right on. Nice work, Will.

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Nice image will!

I would have shot it without the red pole (on the brick wall). A bit disturbing to me…

BTW, I may be out dated, but for me a tie should have both parts perfectly equal in length…

Asher Kelman

I'm not sure of that, Nicolas!

It's a rule that one doesn't have poles coming out of heads, yes, and I can see the medical value of that, LOL. However, the vertical is very strong and can be used as a positive value for a more "manly picture". It makes the picture less gentle and relaxed. It creates an argument between him and the painted steel and also acts as a rigid stop to lock down the movement of the eye forward, i.e. to the right.

There's a famous photographer who purposely sought to break every rule and he loved to have poles coming directly behind the subject so it it's centered with the head. It's done to annoy those who make the rules, like as in the Dadaists "pissing off" the romantic artists. So having a noticeable feature that approaches the deformation of the rules and encroaches and even invades the sacred territory of the head, (which should be kept free), adds some the energy (of implied argument) to the picture.

Well, what I've said is nonsense if the agency does not like it! So I'd now consider providing a version without this powerful vertical fixture and let them choose. My guess is that this version would still be selected because, like the lengths of the tie not matching, this is "edgy".

This picture, would work even better with the periphery blurred a little more. I like the use of the ironwork in the composition construction. Perhaps a wider shot would even more impressive.

I must thank you Will for giving us an alternate subject to curvy beautiful women. That focus, although wonderful, often makes us ignore everything beyond beauty, pose and lighting. Now we can go further to deal with the photograph's construction elements and how they work together.

Asher

Last edited:
Very nice.
I would have cloned out the screw in the pole and the label on his tie.
The back part of the tie I would have preferably not seen.

Asher Kelman

Very nice.
I would have cloned out the screw in the pole and the label on his tie.
The back part of the tie I would have preferably not seen.
Great points about the label and the back of the tie. One can have edgy without untidy.

I'm glad you mentioned the bolt on the steel. I'd have removed it or added two more. That latter would be a nice touch and make it more physical.

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
a tie...

I cannot imagine Will in a tie. A white tee shirt. Jeans...for a change up maybe a color tee shirt.

I have some photos of Will but he's paid me to not post them.

Nice image will!

I would have shot it without the red pole (on the brick wall). A bit disturbing to me…

BTW, I may be out dated, but for me a tie should have both parts perfectly equal in length…

Making a tie match up can depend on your height, but unless you see the back you never know. I think a tie should reach the middle of the belt buckle. That said, I think this shot without a tie would look better.