• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Firefox Color Management

Michael Fontana

pro member
since a good while it's enabled here too, and I like it, especially at the wide gamut screen; another way to enable colormanagement in FF 3:

type

about:config

into the address bar. To turn it on, change the value of gfx.color_management.enabled to true and restart the Fire Fox browser. In addition to enabling color management in Firefox, you also should enter the name of the monitor profile - it's next to the enable/disable parameter in the parameters list that you get to by entering about:config in the address field."

Damien Symonds

The only difference that I'm aware of is in the handling of untagged images. Safari simply uses the monitor profile, whereas Firefox3 assigns sRGB. I imagine this makes Firefox slightly slower, but probably more colour-accurate.

I installed the plug-in as soon as it was announced, and have been through an update or two. It makes my web-browser view of my pictures look very close to the Lightroom view of those same images.

Reminds me, I need to get it installed on the Laptop ;-)

Susan Yerou

Firefiox Color Mngmnt

Looking for some suggestions or resolutions to my issue:

Laptop - OS X 10.5.6 PowerBook G4 17" is connected to my Eizo ColorEdge CG222W
Both monitors are calibrated.
I have installed the Firefox color plug in

When I upload a JPG 72dpi AdobeRGB 1998 image to my website
and view the image using Firefox on my Eizo - the image looks over saturated and garish.
When I view the same browser (slide the window) on my PowerBook monitor the image look slightly washed out.
I am comparing this web image as seen in the browser to the Photoshop image.
Again, I drag the PS image from one monitor to the other and place it side by side with the browser image.

Summary:
Firefox web browser image views
Laptop Monitor - slightly lighter than PS image
Eizo Monitor - over saturated

Photoshop image - approved color and saturation
Laptop Monitor - overall added Magenta color
Eizo Monitor - PERFECT

Image in preview mode in DeskTop window:
Laptop Monitor - slightly lighter than PS image and added Magenta slightly
Eizo Monitor - over saturated

I would like direction on how to view the image in the web browser so it matches what I see in PS of the same image on my Eizo monitor.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Sue

Doug Kerr

Hi, Sue,

I would like direction on how to view the image in the web browser so it matches what I see in PS of the same image on my Eizo monitor.
Do you have the profile for the Eizo nominated in both PS and the browser? I'm not sure that the Firefox CM feature will default to the default profile for the system display, and if there are multiple displays, it certainly couldn't default to the one for the Eizo.

The following is all for Windows - I'm not sure if it will be the same on the other side of the aisle!

To check this, in the Firefox address bar put "about:config" and hit Enter.

Then in the list, scroll down until you get to the items below (the find feature won't work at this point):

gfx.color_management.enabled...user set...string...true
gfx.color_management.display_profile...user set...string...ViewSonic VX2035WM.icm

(Ooh! Now everyone can see what a bogus monitor I have - the much reviled ViewSonic VX2035WM!)

To change the "enabled" item, just double click on "true" (or "false") to change to the other.

To change the profile filename, just double click on the existing filename to open an edit box to change it.

The changes will take effect after Firefox is closed and reopened.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Doug

JohanElzenga

Apparently, some applications do not use different monitor profiles for each monitor, but use the monitor profile of the monitor containing the menu bar for color managing all monitors. FireFox is probably one of them. So to answer your question: make sure that the EIZO monitor is the 'main' monitor, not the secondary one.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Johan,

Apparently, some applications do not use different monitor profiles for each monitor, but use the monitor profile of the monitor containing the menu bar for color managing all monitors. FireFox is probably one of them. So to answer your question: make sure that the EIZO monitor is the 'main' monitor, not the secondary one.
I have been assuming that since the Firefox configuration table has a tag identifying an explicit profile that it would always use that profile. But of course it could be more complicated than that.

Best regards,

Doug

Susan Yerou

Hi, Sue,

Do you have the profile for the Eizo nominated in both PS and the browser? I'm not sure that the Firefox CM feature will default to the default profile for the system display, and if there are multiple displays, it certainly couldn't default to the one for the Eizo.

The following is all for Windows - I'm not sure if it will be the same on the other side of the aisle!

To check this, in the Firefox address bar put "about:config" and hit Enter.

Then in the list, scroll down until you get to the items below (the find feature won't work at this point):

gfx.color_management.display_profile...user set...string...ViewSonic VX2035WM.icm

(Ooh! Now everyone can see what a bogus monitor I have - the much reviled ViewSonic VX2035WM!)

To change the "enabled" item, just double click on "true" (or "false") to change to the other.

To change the profile filename, just double click on the existing filename to open an edit box to change it.

The changes will take effect after Firefox is closed and reopened.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Doug

Thank you Doug. I'm actually afraid to try this.
If I get to this point:

There will be a profile there listed for my Eizo? I'm a it confused.
Or do I get it from my computer by browsing for it within this browser page?

Susan Yerou

Hello Johan,

I have the Eizo set as the main monitor.

After all is said and done and I am happy with the view of images on my website using Firefox, who's to tell what my clients will be viewing on their monitor. This is the problem with monitors and the whole viewing system. I'm glad I have a printed portfolio, but due to the nature of my business, its crucial for potential clients to see the detail and especially the color correctly of my work.

Still seeking answers. Maybe there really isn't a solution to this madness.

Thanks
Sue
www.sueyerou.com

Doug Kerr

Hi, Sue,

Thank you Doug. I'm actually afraid to try this.
If I get to this point:

There will be a profile there listed for my Eizo? I'm a it confused.
Probably not, if you never set a profile for your browser.
Or do I get it from my computer by browsing for it within this browser page?

You need to find what profile is the one for your Eizo - hopefully, it will be the one that is set as the default for that display.

Are we talking Windows here - I forget.

If so, you can find that out by right clicking on the desktop, selecting Properties, select the Settings tab, click the Advance button, select the Color management tab (whew!) and there you will find the profile that is set as default (hopefully it is the right one. Its name is what you need to enter into the Firefox configuration page.

If you want to see what other profiles are available in your system, press the Add button. You don't need to do anything - you can just see, for example, if there is a profile for the Eizo that might in fact not have been properly associated with it.

Best regards,

Doug

StuartRae

Hi Susan,

When I upload a JPG 72dpi AdobeRGB 1998 image to my website........

I assume that the reason for placing an image on your website is that it may be viewed by the internet community.
Regardless of whether or not your browser is colour-managed, the vast majority of users' will not be. It's still good practice to convert to sRGB before uploading to the web, otherwise most people will see a washed-out image.

BTW, the dpi setting is meaningless.

Regards,

Stuart

JohanElzenga

I'm glad I have a printed portfolio, but due to the nature of my business, its crucial for potential clients to see the detail and especially the color correctly of my work.

It that case it also crucial that you understand that the web is not the place for that. The web is not color managed, so using a website to prove to your clients what you can do in terms of color is like trying to draw a square circle.

It that case it also crucial that you understand that the web is not the place for that. The web is not color managed, so using a website to prove to your clients what you can do in terms of color is like trying to draw a square circle.

Hear, hear!

I like the blunt candor, but then (like Johan) I'm also Dutch.

Sue, combining "Color accuracy" and "Web-publishing" in the same sentence is almost like an oximoron (unless one describes a contadiction). However, there are precautions that can/should be taken to reduce the risk of misinterpretation. Many monitors use a very rough approximation of the sRGB colorspace (though most likely with too high a color temperature).

If you have any contol over the state of characterization or even calibration of your client's monitors, exercise/sell that control. Otherwise you're likely to fool yourself.

At the very minimum, if you can't control them (or don't trust their competence), understand the restrictions. Restrict your gamut to sRGB by converting the images to sRGB before publishing, but it also at least requires an accurate color temperature and gamma setting (a correct profile would be ideal) to get close to a correct interpretation of your image.

Bart

Susan Yerou

Stuart, Johan, Bart,

Thank you for your input and suggestions.
I am updating my website at present and will be keeping your suggestions in mind as I do. This business of multi media can be tricky, I know. I just want to be sure I am doing all I can and using the best possible tools I can to show a product I am proud of. I know that viewing an image on one machine and another can be like apples and oranges, the same is for paper/print/magazines. But agian, what ever I can to get as close to reality as I can I will try.

Thank you, thank you, thank you all.

Cheers Mates,

Sue