• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Norwegian sunsets 3 - Alpenglow

Mike Shimwell

Not normally being a sunset chaser, but these were just there. Driving home along the side of Lusterfjord.

Mike

3248522721_86cb089922_o.jpg

Last edited:
If I had the chance for sunsets like this you can rest assured I would be chasing them. It's a very beautiful scene and I am wondering if perhaps there is still more beauty and details in it that are yet to be seen clearly? I am usually the last person ever to be a stickler for the so-called rules of photography because I believe sometimes rules are meant to be broken. I do it myself all of the time. The horizon here however, to me anyway, is just not letting me overlook its crookedness. I wish it were straight. Again, if it were in my power, I would be out there chasing those scenes every chance I had. It's a tremendously beautiful place.
James Newman

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Not normally being a sunset chaser, but these were just there. Driving home along the side of Lusterfjord.

3248089501_0ea2e4f26f_o.jpg

Hi Mike,

This is not any ordinary sunset. I do like the detail and lighting in the cloud upper left. It has a volume to it and a sense of movement in wards. Below that and coming from the right a huge "comet like" creature of a cloud comes in from the right passing behind the mountain.

These gold tinged clouds of sunset are reflected in the water It's the position of the color ans light that tells us the sun is sinking, nit the sun being lost in water at the horizon as in the archtypical postcard shot.

I would have liked more of the rough stones on the left. That would balance the massive presence of the rock faces on the left. If you happen to have other adjacent images, I'd wonder if that could be added. Any way, the scene does seem., (at least to my own taste, and that can be quirky, I admit), to call for a wider vista.. The water edge on the right is very sharply defined and maybe that's how it looks. Thi is not a criticism, just a question

Thanks for sharing this Norwegian view. Not quite deep enough, perhaps, but I think of fiords looking like this where German U boats qould hide in world War II read more here.

Asher

Mike Shimwell

James, Thanks for your comments. I have corrected the drunken list - perhaps my body is misaligned (mine not the Canon...). I'll do the other when I get a moment.

Asher, again thanks. I think you may be right abuot a wider view. Unfortunately there is not much more to gain on the right as the road barrier will drop into the frame. To add to the difficulty I was stood by a fairly steep drop off. However, it may have been better to have taken the 24-105 out rather than the 35 for this.

I think the water edge is emphasised by lightrooms sharpening for screen. It looks much better in a print.

Mike

Jim Galli

I like the believability of it. I've had my fill of oversaturated scenes. This looks exactly as I'd expect to see and enjoy it. I think it balances beautifully.

Mike, I really like the sky/mountain contrast reflected in the ripples of the water. Jim's point about believability is a good one, and well worth pondering over.

Tom