• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Texas crawly's

Charlotte Thompson

I don't do macro either but managed to get these-

Texas Slug and Texas Fly-

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_1151-3.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I don't do macro either but managed to get these-

Texas Slug and Texas Fly-

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_1151-3.jpg
Charlotte,

It's good to get out and see what's outside to photograph. Try to use natural background for the slug. A light piece of twig or a lettuce leaf would work. It's one thing to make a snapshot. Here you already have an interesting background of white wood boards. There's potential here, maybe better than using leaves or twigs. To work with that, sweep it clean. The S shape of the slug is fascinating and helps make the shot interesting. The floor however looks messy and that is something you can easily change. This is a very simple but good opportunity to work on composition. A tripod setup would allow you top get total control. Experiment with having the grain of the wood go in various directions in respect to the slug's axis. Try to go a step further.

Would you do that? I hope you do!

That way we can feel some continued affinity for a project and it's worthwhile for everyone. Showing beauty of a child or person is one thing. Making a picture of a slug outstanding is a challenge but the payoff will be great.

It might amaze you to know that inside that slug are a lot of organs that look like what we'd find in vertebrates. We share many genes. Amazingly those insect eyes and wings that seem so different from our appendages, actually are organized by almost identical switches. In fact, a mouse switch for the eye can replace a mutated inactive one to restore the absent eyes of fruit flies! There is then not a lot different between us all. There is life or death. Species one sees depends on the epoch! This is ours and we better make the best of it.

For sure dinosaurs didn't commit mass suicide or create global destruction. However, they lasted here for perhaps hundreds of millions of years, it seems. We have been around for maybe 50,000 years as hominids but we're so self important.

This knowledge should make us more humble!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

thanks for the wonderful comments
the slug was taken "late Thirty" in the Summer-seems only warms weather brings them about- they look like black velvet don't they-in fact they have a shell underneath the skin where the hump is-I didnt notice the floor being a mess at all that night but was only going for what this creature looked like up close and personal but that fascinates me much like the human soul-
I do like the macro world and have seen some gorgeous shots
not many insects to shoot until our weather stabilzes which will be Spring soon and then it's BUGS ALIVE!
I did have a shot of a dragon fly but for the life of me can;t find it-it was pretty cool

Charlotte-