• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

OPF Shooting Groups: L.A. & Silicon Valley-San Francisco: SIGN UP

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Please post here to be included in a photography shoot. It could include anything from street, photography, birds, wildlife or live (dressed or unclothed) models.

Just give your location so we can match you a a group.

Asher

Last edited:

Brian Lowe

I would like to be included in the OPF Los Angeles photography shoots. I have a few ideas of what I would like photograph around Los Angeles. It would be great if other LA local OPF members would participate in these photo outings or express your thoughts on what you would like to shoot as a group.

A few things come to my mind that would be fun or interesting to shoot with other OPF members.

Shoot the Sunset strip at night?
Meet and shoot at the LA Zoo?
Informal workshop photographing model/s with studio lighting (maybe Asher can help with securing a location)?
The Getty?
Natural light portrait shooing, informal workshop?

Anyone have any Ideas to add? Lets start the discussion about ideas/thoughts for meet & shoots.

May I add, I had the pleasure of going on an impromptu "LA OPF shooting" with Asher yesterday to Descanso Gardens. It was a wonderful experience as we both discussed ideas of photography and learned from each others thoughts and ideas plus it was a blast to boot.

I would like to share three photos from this LA (impromptu) OPF shooting.

A sunflower
92135787-M-3.jpg

Young lovers, I never would of though of shooting them if Asher was not with me.
92127662-M-3.jpg

Last, a Beautiful Rose for a beautiful day
92130340-M-3.jpg

Brian Lowe

Brian,

I second that. :)

As a relative newcomer (only live in SoCal for about 5 only years) I don't know the LA area that much, but I'd like to know it better:). My personal experience, however small it is, lies mostly in the Santa Monica and Ojaj mountains.

Asher, you know you can count me in, don't you;-)?

Love the rose, great colors!

Cheers!

Mike Spinak

pro member
Starter suggestions for the Silicon Valley/SJ/SF group:

The burrowing owls at Shoreline Park
The screech owls at Rancho San Antonio
The kites at Arastradero
Palo Alto Baylands
Coyote Hills
Stanford arboretum
Fitzgerald Marine Reserve
Pebble Beach (the one North of Monterey Bay)
Point Lobos
The surfers at Steamer's Lane
Big Basin
Portola Redwoods State Park
Henry Cowell State Park
Natural Bridges State Park

Mike

www.mikespinak.com

Alvaro Lopez

Add me to the LA group

Los Angeles for me please:

street YES/MAYBE
photography UM, YOU'RE KIDDING RIGHT?
birds NO, NOT TERRIBLY INTERESTING TO ME
wildlife YUP
live (dressed or unclothed) models YES

I also like shooting landscape type stuff.

Brian Lowe

Hi Al,

Great to see you here.

Brian

Alvaro Lopez said:
Los Angeles for me please:

street YES/MAYBE
photography UM, YOU'RE KIDDING RIGHT?
birds NO, NOT TERRIBLY INTERESTING TO ME
wildlife YUP
live (dressed or unclothed) models YES

I also like shooting landscape type stuff.

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Asher Kelman said:
Will, what is there to photograph in each?

Asher

At Disneyland there is every type of lighting and subject matter except non clothed.

At Balboa Island there quaint houses and gardens + wildlife and boats.

At UCI many interesting young people.

Asher Kelman

Gary told me he's interested. check dates with him and the others. I'll fit in. Just look at your calendar for the holidays!

Asher

Brian Lowe

Brian,
re: LA fair...
What's there to shoot except haystacks?:)
I mean, candids, sure, but is there anything else?
Thanks!

Here a few things you can shoot at the fair.

• Flower & Garden Pavilion, “The Road to Morocco” – presented by Armstrong Garden Centers
    Morocco. The name itself conjures up romantic images of vast unending sands, charming desert oases, and of course, the sheltering sky. Land of Kasbahs and imperial cities, Morocco is also the birthplace of the Centifolia rose. Deliciously fragrant despite its apparent simplicity, it grows far from prying eyes and tourist migrations. To find it, you will have to wander well off the beaten track or travel “The Road to Morocco” at the L.A. County Fair!
    Morocco’s lush river valleys, beautiful sandy coasts, and wide expanses of desert remind us more of the Mediterranean than of the rest of Africa. Marrakesh in particular, the labyrinthine streets and passages of the centuries-old medians, offer endless possibilities for exploration. The Flora of the Moroccan countryside features an unusual range of plant life. Among the more plentiful of the country’s plants is the dwarf palm, whose leaves are used to stuff mattresses. Moroccan roses are the most fragrant of all the flora. The rosebuds are used for teas and spices, and the rose petals are shipped all over the world for perfumes and sachets.
  • The Atrium – presented by Armstrong Garden Centers
    Interesting, thought-provoking garden displays await you in the Atrium.
  • Enchanted Gardens – presented by Armstrong Garden Centers
    As guests leave the Flower & Garden Pavilion, they’ll pass through the Enchanted Gardens, where creativity is in full bloom! Quiet paths etched into the hillside lead guests through luscious glades filled with beautiful flowers, fragrant herbs, and shady trees. Look for lots of changes to this year’s Enchanted Gardens. Traditional Moroccan music and dance will also be performed.
    Armstrong Garden Centers will be the title sponsor of this year’s High School & College Landscape and High School Condo Competitions, in which local high school and college students design and maintain gardens in a variety of plot sizes. The first-place college-level winner will receive scholarship money and a paid internship with one of the many Armstrong Garden Centers.
    The “My Little Red Wagon” Garden – Wagons, ho! See a creative garden display composed of all types of children’s wagons, from old Radio Flyers to rickety, home-made contraptions.

The WheelbarrowGarden - Don’t carry it, bury it! Behold a garden incorporating various styles of planted wheelbarrows, dollies, flatbed hand carts, and other items usually used to haul landscape supplies.

The Kitchen Garden - Don’t toss that out! Check out a garden featuring planted odds and ends that might otherwise be found in modern or vintage kitchens.

The FenceGarden - When is a door not a door? When it’s a fence! This creative garden features fencing created out of doors and windows and is adorned with multiple found objects planted for effect.

The Trash to TreasureGarageGarden – A garden from your garage! Nothing goes to waste when small and medium-sized tires are hung from trees and planted with beautiful flowers, tires are staked to create towering plant columns, and golf cart wheels and old bumpers are used as wall pockets and planters.

The VintageBirdhouseGarden - A house for the birds! Birdhouses made of old salvaged materials will be planted with succulents and flowers to create a place for the birds. If you like The Trash to Treasure Garage Garden, you will also like Trash to Treasure for Your Home, located in The Village on Broadway. Every Friday night at 5:00 pm., you can make cool stuff for your home out of everyday leftovers.
Enchanted Gardens Free Kids Workshops-
presented by Armstrong Garden Centers
"Kids Get Dirty” Kids Workshops - Kids get dirty in Enchanted Gardens, as all the little gardeners learn to plant flowers to take home.
Hidden Meadows Park
Hidden Meadows Park is one of the L.A. County Fair’s best-kept secrets. Rolling green hills and majestic trees create the perfect atmosphere for a family picnic, a stroll with a loved one, and a place for quiet reflection.
The Topiary Zoo
The green rolling hills of Hidden Meadows Park will be home to exotic animals…of the green and leafy variety. Zoo animals such as elephants, giraffes, seals, and deer will create a unique scene skillfully crafted out of plants. Here is a great chance to see the skill, artistry, and amazing beauty of the Topiary Zoo.
Fair After Dark: The beauty of thousands of white lights and the sounds of exotic animals will fill the night sky.
The Beer Tavern
Learn about the making of beer, the history of beer labels, taste beers from our Commercial Beer competition, eat pretzels, bet on the horse races, and watch sports.
The Vineyard Marketplace- presented by Ralphs
The Vineyard Marketplace is a great place for adults to “soak up” the culture and ambiance of the esteemed L.A. County Fair’s “Wines of the World” & Olive Oil Competitions. Guests can learn all about wines, award winning varietals, cheese, and olive oils. It also presents a unique opportunity for guests to sip some of the vintages and shop for gourmet food, kitchen gadgets, and wine and olive oil accessories at The Crushed Grape. Fair visitors can become wine connoisseurs with the Fair’s Wine Education Program, featuring wine judging, food & wine pairing, gold medal wine tasting, and wine education classes presented by wine professionals and esteemed judges from our “Wines of the World” & Olive Oil Competitions. Every Saturday & Sunday morning at the Ralphs Vineyard Kitchen, in the Vineyard Marketplace, you can learn how to make gourmet bread and the best desserts around.
The Art of Labels and Packaging
See the winners of the Wine & Olive Oil Packaging Design Award on display in The Vineyard.
Historic Trains
The L.A. County Fair is the only place in the world to see both the largest steam engine and the largest diesel locomotive ever to ride the rails.
Then you can finnish off the day or night with some Deep Fried Oreos and
Deep Fried Twinkies....

Last edited:
Wow, Brian!

Brian Lowe said:
Here a few things you can shoot at the fair.
Then you can finish off the day or night with some Deep Fried Oreos and
Deep Fried Twinkies....

What a report! Bravo!
Thank you very much for your time, I do appreciate it!

Asher Kelman

Brian could you talk to Gary on the best meeting place? A map would be great. We need a time too.

Call me, thanks. Anyone in the general region of Los Angeles welcome. This will be a get to know each other meeting as well as a good photoshooting opportunity.

Brian, do you have the 16th finalized or would the 17th be just as good for people?

Asher

Brian Lowe

Well as I type this, I am home with the flu body aches and fever so I am not sure if I will be able to make it this weekend. I am so bummed out.

Brian Lowe

I am asking that we postpone the OPF LA Fair outing as I home with the flu.

Maybe we can get out to the fair in a few weeks or start planning something else around LA?

Brian

ChrisDauer

Other Bay Area events

Fleet week is coming Oct 5-9, 2006

And with all the talk I've seen about wine, I'm actually surprised no one has suggested Sonoma or Napa. The wines are great. The location is beautiful. The wines are great. It's really not that far. And the wines are great.

Categories:
Fleet Week - People, Planes, Ships, etc.
Sonoma/Napa - Landscape, People, Flowers

-Chris

Last edited:
Chris,

ChrisDauer said:
And with all the talk I've seen about wine, I'm actually surprised no one has suggested Sonoma or Napa. The wines are great. The location is beautiful. The wines are great. It's really not that far. And the wines are great.
-Chris

You see, it was us SoCal dwellers who were talking about wine:)

I have been to both Napa and Sonoma, love those places, but 7-8 hours drive from LA makes the idea slightly less appealing.:-(

I agree, though, that for the Bay Areans this is a gorgeous trip.:)

Lisa Nikodym

Hi - another brand new forum member here in the Silicon Valley area, always happy to get together with other photographers (like at the Stanford cactus garden shoot yesterday, which I mostly organized, and at which Mike Spinak insisted that I should check out this forum!). I'm an amateur whose vacation snapshots have gotten *quite* out of hand. ;-) Mostly landscape/travel photography.

Lisa

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Count me in Los Angeles

How'd I miss this? I was up in the Bay area doing a photo workshop on Photographing People from my Santa Fe Workshops Instructor, Sarah Meghan Lee (formerly Sara Martone). Would LOVE a workshop on lighting or portraits;

Add me to the LA list! I am interested in People, Landscape, Architectural and Travel;

My downside is that with my business, I need to schedule out ahead photo time even on weekends. I am playing with portraits at the moment, and with my travel scenery, I am working on creating a stock portfolio;

Some ideas: Octoberfests, Santa Barbara Wine area/Los Olivios (Nik - we don't need to go to Napa - we have Los Olivos, Santa Barbara!), Farmer's Market Fall Festival, The Christopher Street West Parade, Halloween in WeHo, Venice Beach on a Sunday Morning;

I live in Thousand Oaks, so also important to me is WHERE we meet. Napa is too far for a day! Pasadena or so is as far as I want to go for a day shoot right now (unless you want to donate tickets and hotel rooms in Australia, South Africa, France, or Italy!)