• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Someday I'll skate away....

Cem_Usakligil

Just for the fun of it:
skating3.jpg

Cheers,

Hey Cem,

It looks like a skater could just go, and go, and go.

134 people were stranded on the ice on Lake Erie yesterday when the floe they were fishing from drifted away from the shore. I'll bet the skaters in your photo have a lot more common sense than the ice fishermen on Lake Erie.

Tom

Cem_Usakligil

Hey Cem,

It looks like a skater could just go, and go, and go.

134 people were stranded on the ice on Lake Erie yesterday when the floe they were fishing from drifted away from the shore. I'll bet the skaters in your photo have a lot more common sense than the ice fishermen on Lake Erie.

Tom
These one did have more common sense Tom, but there were many incidents across the country during that weekend when all went skating crazy. More than tens of people fell into the icy waters when they went skating on thin ice.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Mike Shimwell

Hi Cem

I like this. A couple of comments on things that make the image work for me - I like the figures in the distance that seem to complete the picture and the crop still leaves room for your foreground group to breathe.

Have you printed this yet? It looks like it would make a nice print.

Mike

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Cem,
Wonderful image! I love the light! Was this taken early in the morning or evening?
Mike has a good eye, I didn't catch the subjects in the far off distance!
Print it!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cem,

It's wonderful when people dig out their skates, sharpen them and bundle up for this spontanious event. I imagine there's even some brisk business for someone to sell hot chocolate or cider! You have captured this carefree mood, an almost spring like activity in the middle of winter!

skating3.jpg

This is so enjoyable and pristinely peaceful. I love the mood of the picture and the idea that they could skate for ever.

A really special picture.

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cem,

I'm not sure what news of the USA reaches Europe apart from the economic issues, big politics and tonight the Grammy Awards.

You might have read that in Lake Ohio, over 100 fishermean were stranded on the ice when it broke off and drifted off. One man went over with his snow machine and died.

090207-ice-hlg-2p.hlarge.jpg

Madalyn Ruggiero / AP Fishermen stranded on an ice floe Saturday on Lake Erie are rescued by crews
arriving on airboats as a Coast Guard helicopter flies overhead.

OAK HARBOR, Ohio - "A miles-wide ice floe broke away Saturday from Lake Erie's shoreline, trapping 135 ice fishermen, one of whom fell into the water and later died. A local sheriff called the fishermen's actions — given warming temperatures and the fragile ice — "idiotic."

Many of the fishermen were plucked from the ice by rescuers who glided along in air boats.

On Saturday morning, fishermen had used wooden pallets to bridge a crack in the ice so they could go out farther on the lake. But temperatures rose into the 40s, and the planks fell into the water when the ice shifted, stranding the fishermen about 1,000 yards offshore." MSN,

I guess in Europe the authorities inform folk when it's safe or does this sort of "happen".

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem

I like this. A couple of comments on things that make the image work for me - I like the figures in the distance that seem to complete the picture and the crop still leaves room for your foreground group to breathe.

Have you printed this yet? It looks like it would make a nice print.

Mike
Hi Mike,

I haven't given this image much consideration at all. As the title said, it was posted here just for the fun of it due to the nice atmosphere and light in the picture. But since you have brought this up, I'll have to print it now, don't I?

Hi Cem,
Wonderful image! I love the light! Was this taken early in the morning or evening?
Mike has a good eye, I didn't catch the subjects in the far off distance!
Print it!
Hi John,

Thanks, you are way too kind. It was taken in the afternoon actually. Around 5 PM.

Any other suggestion for a crop before I print it? I did crop it from the top and the bottom to make it panoramic, but did I overdo it perhaps? Or maybe where the horizon is should be lower/higher in another crop?

Cheers,

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Cem,
I would leave the crop as is. Don't mess with a good thing! I think the sense of scale is perfect. The subjects are in the lower third and the beautiful sun is in the upper third. Lowering or raising the horizon will subtract from this balance. The wide "panoramic" crop also works perfectly. IMHO, if you tighten either side you risk pushing the subjects and the sun too close to the image's outer boundries.