• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

latest arsenal, vintage stroboflash

Daniel Buck

I got this (the flash) to shoot some vintage auto races and to work on some other vintage feeling projects I'll be doing in the near future.

Still waiting on a few parts to arrive, but so far everything is working together nicely! Just need some clamps to securly hold the handle to the body, and the strobe head to the handle. I need to weigh the entire setup sometime, including the shoulder pack that powers the strobe (on the floor in the 2nd shot next to the camera, 1/2 the size of a car battery!)

speedgraphic_flash_01.jpg

speedgraphic_flash_02.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It looks very impressive and herniogenic!

Actually, my own Crown Graphic is in need of a new rail installation. Will Thompson, BTW, has these cameras if you need some part!

Asher

Daniel Buck

Here's the first exposure tests on the film! (I did the initial tests with my digital, to get a rough idea of what aperture I needed). Aperture at f8, flash on 1/4 power then 1/2 power for the 2nd shot, film speed at ISO25 (Adox Orthochromatic 25), focusing distance of about 10-12 feet or so. The shots aren't good at all, but the exposures are decent! The film came out a little thin, but that might be partially due to me not having my develop times nailed down for the Adox film yet. The walls in these shots are white, so I think I'll probably have to go 3/4 power and full power for shots that don't have white walls in them :-D

strobo_exposure_01.jpg

strobo_exposure_02.jpg

Asher Kelman

Daniel,

It looks good to me in that if this had been important you could still get a good print especially via scanning as PS correction would be relatively easy. Why the aldox film when you usually shoot TriX it seems! Does this have an especially fine grain and how does it scan?

Asher

Daniel Buck

two reasons really, in 8x10 Tri-x is expensive (even though I really enjoy using it!), and Kodak stopped putting 50 sheets in a box and has now only been putting 10 sheets in a box, which is annoying. So that's for the 8x10, I had been looking at alternatives (like Arista 100 EDU) While doing so, out of curiosity for a slower film in 4x5, I tried out Adox Ortho 25. Which isn't really any cheaper than Tri-x (unlike the Arista 100, which is cheaper), but it's alot slower. I may try Arista 100 in 4x5, which is less than 1/2 the cost of Tri-x.

But more practically, if I were shooting 320ISO with this big flash, I'd have to be stopping way down to like f32 or so, I want to still keep a bit of thinner DOF.

Asher Kelman

two reasons really, in 8x10 Tri-x is expensive (even though I really enjoy using it!), and Kodak stopped putting 50 sheets in a box and has now only been putting 10 sheets in a box, which is annoying. So that's for the 8x10, I had been looking at alternatives (like Arista 100 EDU) While doing so, out of curiosity for a slower film in 4x5, I tried out Adox Ortho 25. Which isn't really any cheaper than Tri-x (unlike the Arista 100, which is cheaper), but it's alot slower. I may try Arista 100 in 4x5, which is less than 1/2 the cost of Tri-x.

But more practically, if I were shooting 320ISO with this big flash, I'd have to be stopping way down to like f32 or so, I want to still keep a bit of thinner DOF.
Daniel,

You are very right on the issue of keeping a wide aperture needs a slow film. That was the first mistake I had using my PS945. I had to use it at f16 as my film was ISO 400!

Asher

Daniel Buck

Here's some more test results, this time using the grafmatic film holder (which is very sweet!).

This time I used f5.6 with full power on the flash, and got the density on the negatives that I like. The f8 and 1/2 power tests I posted earlier were to thin.

speed_strobo_01.jpg

speed_strobo_02.jpg

speed_strobo_03.jpg

speed_strobo_04.jpg