• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Juvi Red Shouldered Hawk...with no fear

Eric Diller

Went by one of my favorite parks in town only to find a young Red Shouldered Hawk. He was hunting little mole crickets and didn't seem to mind me being 15 feet from him. The portrait shots i took were from 10 feet away and was all I could do to to get him in frame with a 500mm lens....

Had a bit of tough lighting, he was in and out of the shade....

PIC_1219copy.jpg

PIC_1223copy.jpg

Now he shows me some trust for these shots....

PIC_1243copy.jpg

PIC_1249copy.jpg

Great "close encounters"!! It must be wonderful having this kind of ready access to such beautiful subjects.

Looks like you had a few shots demonstrating the "nictitating membrane" ("3rd eyelid") that birds and others animals have.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Eric,

This is such a great opportunity you have discovered for yourself. What remains to be known is the provenance of your fortune? Is your ability to find birds about town? Is it luck perhaps? Maybe.

My thoughts are that your good fortune comes from honed skill in hunting. Do you think this is really there to be discovered in most other big cities? After all, as we encroach on the predators’ territory, they could adapt to what's available and they will find some niche for survival.

Here, the pictures of this fearless hawk show the wonderful match for the feathers and the colors of the hunting area. So such persistence may be critical for survival in urban area. OTOH, what predators can catch these birds in the city?

Asher