• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Man Who Plants Cantaloupe Seeds Extracted

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
You might have noted a recent thread, here, where I used the Canon G10 to shoot casually walking around to see what catches my attention. There's a Church on Santa Monica Blvd that has Birds of Paradise and which light up from the sun setting behind them. While shooting them, a homeless man arrived and proceeded to plant seeds. I left and he followed planting seeds on the way. He made sure he explained to me that he had already planted over 5,000 cantaloupe seeds. He proceeded to demonstrate. I felt I had to document this. He also made sure I knew he was a miner from Pittsburgh, Pennsyslvania.

Somehow I felt this fellow saw things in some sort of necessary balance. Of course, I don't really understand him, the meeting was too short and I may not be equipped for that any way.

In preparing this, I have struggled with how the activity might be shown. I have come to the following for your consideration.

COLOR]bent_planting600.jpg

© Asher Kelman Planting Canteloupe Seeds

IMG_6529Bluehands500.jpg

© Asher Kelman Planting Canteloupe Seeds: Blue

I know this is a jump from reality. I hope this meets with your interest and would like your feelings as I try to go beyond the person to the idea of someone planting seeds in public spaces.

Thanks for your consideration,

Asher

Last edited:

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Asher, I like it. He is unusual. We can create something that sparks our interest.

While not traditional photography, I will occasionally play with images color using curves and the exposure to create something unusual. I did that recently with a photograph of the Eiffel Tower that gave a rainbow appearance to the sky, to some ships that were docked in Greece that everyone loves - the rust because orange - and one of my favorites, posted he eons ago of a couple dancing on the beach to their own music. Art is in the eye of the beholder.

james sperry

In preparing this, I have struggled with how the activity might be shown. I have come to the following for your consideration.

I know this is a jump from reality. I hope this meets with your interest and would like your feelings as I try to go beyond the person to the idea of someone planting seeds in public spaces.

Thanks for your consideration,

Asher

for me, the first image is hard to see what he is doing. with the second image, i can tell he is involved in an agricultural activity, but ( maybe it's just me ) i'm still drawn more to the face than the activity. i like the editing effect with the second image as well.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
for me, the first image is hard to see what he is doing. with the second image, i can tell he is involved in an agricultural activity, but ( maybe it's just me ) i'm still drawn more to the face than the activity. i like the editing effect with the second image as well.
James,

Thanks for looking! The first image is indeed meant to be obscure! After all, even if he tells you, "I am planting cantaloupe seads!", one is still not very much ahead of the game. There is a great barrier to cross in understanding his purpose. To me, this simple example applies to a lot of other things we do and we see others do every day of our lives. The handsome business man or pretty women seem to have it all worked out; but do they really? What do they stand for more than the cantaloupe man?

There is an apprarent pointlessness in planting seeds, when, for sure, the City will send someone out to remove as soon as they sprout! Is there much more validity in a lot of things we do in our own routines?

Both pictures are meant to be seen together.

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

love love the second shot! I like the energy colors you have painted on this man- I can't imagine such conversation about seeds and planting in the city- obviously there was some different thinking going on between the 2 of you-
I love the direct look you captured in the second-very intense! again love what you did with the colors!
the first shot is about the curve for me
maybe a muddy look to the man as the earth is (both are born of mud and return to mud all the while re-seeding earth)

I did a sepia coloring in the other thread of this man- enjoy
btw-the guy is striking-your eye is good Asher*

IMG_6532BW600.jpg

Asher Kelman photography/Charlotte sepia coloring

Last edited by a moderator: