• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Flower Shots With Presence!

Mike Spinak

pro member
I've picked Mike Spinak's work to lead off this special thread as his work is amongst the finest. ADK

275076683_318ff5da08_o.jpg

© Mike Spinak Rain soaked irises

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Flower shots with presence: your best!

We all take pictures of flowers. Sometimes, a flower seems to have a presence that it exerts over the rest of the scene as if it's an actor playing its part. So we mark these as a little more special. I'll stick my neck out by posting first this picture taken with my Canon G10 digicam as the sun is low in the sky.

IMG_7002_flower_800.jpg

© Asher Kelman "Lilac Colored Flower" Do not copy or download
Canon G10, ISO 85, 28mm, AV, f3.2, 1/640 sec, no flash,

So go through your files and choose the very best flower pictures where a bloom seems to act in some special way!

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
IMG_0073SSA001.jpg

Funny when I photographed these Cala lillies I wasn't at all happy with the results, however it's grown on me and I quite like it now....

Asher Kelman

IMG_0073SSA001.jpg

Funny when I photographed these Cala lillies I wasn't at all happy with the results, however it's grown on me and I quite like it now....
Janet,

The vertical copyright sign creates a counter argument to the sweeping curvaceous softness of the lilly. I like that as a design element. I intended my own signature for exactly that purpose.

Asher

Rachel Foster

This is over a year old now (366 days, in fact) but still arguably my best. "Dancing With Roger on Valentine's Day."

DancingwithRogerOnValentinesDay.jpg

Michael Brown

We all take pictures of flowers. Sometimes, a flower seems to have a presence that it exerts over the rest of the scene as if it's an actor playing its part. So we mark these as a little more special. I'll stick my neck out by posting first this picture taken with my Canon G10 digicam as the sun is low in the sky.

IMG_7002_flower_800.jpg

So go through your files and choose the very best flower pictures where a bloom seems to act in some special way!

Asher
Asher, ... beautiful flower you have chosen!
It escapes my mind, ... the name of the flower, ... but you should try to shoot this beauty sometime in a early morning fog if possible.
There's something about those colors within this flower and the overall feel it can give in a morning landscape setting that usually turns into a stunner!

Michael Brown

Janet, ... you really managed to show this flower's character, with its graceful lines, subtle color, etc.
Photographing the "character" of a flower is often overlooked, ... and you showed this flower's character quite nicely!

Michael

Michael Brown

Rachel,
the small world, ... in a somewhat abstract form, is something that has always appealed to me.
The subtle lighting and elegance within this flower, the color, with an additional element that always adds a little more impact, really helps to hold my attention.
Very nice!

Michael Brown

This is a daisy type of abstract image, ... one that has always been a favorite of mine.

8606525-lg.jpg

Everyone take care,
Michael

Ron Morse

IMG_7002_flower_800.jpg

Asher

That is really nice Asher. Hard to believe this is with a G10. Better than I thought the camera would do. This might be what I should get for my wife.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

do not copy or download
Oh, God, when I opened your post my browser downloaded the image. I had no idea it would do something prohibited. Does my browser owe you money?

You may need to rethink that proscription. What do you really mean?

Best regards,

Doug

janet Smith

pro member
Janet, ... you really managed to show this flower's character, with its graceful lines, subtle color, etc.
Photographing the "character" of a flower is often overlooked, ... and you showed this flower's character quite nicely!

Hello Michael

Thank you for your comments, I have photographed Cala Lilies a lot, but never been entirely happy with the results, when they come into bloom in the garden I'll be trying again.....

I love your abstract daisy! In fact I liked it so much I visited your website, your work is absolutely exquisite, I love the gentle feel of the shots, they conveyed the feeling I have about the gentle beauty of flowers. Inspiring stuff!

John Angulat

pro member
A flower image - Shot this at New York's Botanic Garden. Had to lay flat on my back holding the camera behind my head. I thought it was an interesting view.

flower1.jpg

Asher Kelman

Jim,

The lighting is soft and lights through the flowers creating patterns from the overlapping petals. Thanks for sharing.

I happened on this lilly as light as failing this evening. I returned to my 5D with the 50 1.2L Canon lens at f2.0, 1/60 sec, ISO 400.

5D_MG_7124Lilly_cropped.jpg

© Asher Kelman 2009 Lilly at Dusk Do not copy, edit or download

I love simplicity of the shape and the whirls in it. Hope it's pleasing to you too.

Asher

Mike Funnell

While the bee seems the obvious point to this one , I think the colour and texture in the blossom lifts the overall shot:

John Angulat

pro member
I probably could have tossed this one into the shallow DOF category, but I think there's more "flower" here. (and don't be wisenheimers and say it shouldv'e been tossed in the dustbin).

angulatX009.jpg

Jim Galli

Jim,

The lighting is soft and lights through the flowers creating patterns from the overlapping petals. Thanks for sharing.

I happened on this lilly as light as failing this evening. I returned to my 5D with the 50 1.2L Canon lens at f2.0, 1/60 sec, ISO 400.

I love simplicity of the shape and the whirls in it. Hope it's pleasing to you too.

Asher

Asher, really lovely. I love the simplicity.

John, if you toss it in the dustbin, just make sure to toss it in mine. It is a wonderful image. The number of beautiful flowers here seems to multiply every day. I went out for a little visit myself to the Mercer Arboretum. They are still planting and getting ready for Spring but some things have already taken off thanks to the 70 degree winter we have been having. In a few weeks the place will be a wonderland. The flower is the main subject here but there are also other elements that add to the overall image. The fish and the flower's reflection all play a part, at least to me.
James

_DSC4565.jpg

John Angulat

pro member
Hi James,
Thanks very much for the kind compliment!
I'm a great admirer (but totally ignorant) of water flowers. Is that a water lily or a lotus?
The only opportunity I get to shoot them is at the Botanic Garden, and even the season there is all too brief.
Well done!

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I'm not generally a fan of flower snaps. They're fine as a vehicle for learning to use a camera but most should remain private....

...unless they're as erotic as those by Janet and Rachel. Darn it, ladies, this here's a family-friendly place. Janet's is an especially fine example of using soft focus and a sumptuous simple palette to evoke emotion (or should I say, "incite contemplation"). Rachel's is a terrific example of using natural forms to mimic...err...other natural forms. (I've seen at least one body of work that used flowers in just such a way.)

The others posted here are also uncommonly good, too. Not your usual Flickr "look at my daisies" EasyShare snaps. Really good stuff.

Asher Kelman

I'm not generally a fan of flower snaps. They're fine as a vehicle for learning to use a camera but most should remain private....
I'd hope we'd not have snaps here. Maybe we'll prune the thread.

...unless they're as erotic as those by Janet and Rachel. Darn it, ladies, this here's a family-friendly place. Janet's is an especially fine example of using soft focus and a sumptuous simple palette to evoke emotion (or should I say, "incite contemplation"). Rachel's is a terrific example of using natural forms to mimic...err...other natural forms. (I've seen at least one body of work that used flowers in just such a way.)
I agree! I consider both these pictures as really good photographs, (even Janet's text, to which I'm partial, anyway).

Ken Tanaka;70182The others posted here are also uncommonly good said:
So Ken,

You bring up a point that folks need to keep in mind. We'll be moving some pictures out and some in as the time passes so we end up with a great collection representative of some of the best we can do. You comments on pictures you like or would love to dismiss, including mine are welcome. This thread will therefore continue to improve and out of date posts, (like what I'm writing right here, LOL) will be cleared out to keep this as pristine as possible.

The idea is that Themes should have outstanding pictures and brief comments able to give us instant agreeable experience we'll treasure building together.

As we go on, we'll have better pictures and hopefully this will eventually house some exceptional work. Pictures that cycle out of here will end up in the appropriate forum for that work. Hopefully we'll have an efficient notification system by then. To move in the section, we'll ask. To move out images, that's just what can happen!

For now, we should only post pictures we feel are unusually good for us and not a casual throw away image. Up to now, the level is perfect. A few of the pictures, doubtless will remain here as old time members!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

...I happened on this lilly as light as failing this evening. I returned to my 5D with the 50 1.2L Canon lens at f2.0, 1/60 sec, ISO 400.

5D_MG_7124Lilly_cropped.jpg

© Asher Kelman 2009 Lilly at Dusk Do not copy, edit or download

Asher
Hi Asher,

This is more than just pleasing, it is a very good picture if you ask me. Kudos. I too love the shape and the dof and lighting. It's a pity you tease us with such a poststamp version ;-).

Cheers,

janet Smith

pro member

Hi Ken, Thank you for your very kind comments, I'm very flattered, I spend a lot of time working on my flower photography and plan to spend even more this year, so your encouragement means a lot to me - thank you. Also thank you to Asher and everyone else who has spurred me on....

Here are a couple more, but I'm not happy with the light on the lower part of the stem of the red Gerbera.

IMG_0025AcleanSSJS.jpg

IMG_0048SSAJS.jpg

Rachel Foster

This thread has been very good for me as I've felt stale in shooting flowers lately.

And, Ken, you made me laugh! I had no such "arc of intention" when I shot that, by the way. I was just trying to learn how to use a macro!

It does bring O'Keefe to mind (in a very, very, very minor way).

Rachel Foster

The light and textures on Nicolas' are fascinating.

Also, I'm going to give a gerbera a shot after seeing that gorgeous red one Janet shot.