• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Texas Longhorn

OK so it's not really what I would consider wildlife but it's not a pet either so I was not sure where to post this. It is one of my favorite animals believe it or not. It's another of those silly Texas things that people may not understand but these beautiful animals played a very important role in the history of our state and I like them a lot. I climbed out of bed today and ventured out with my camera for a bit. It was a rainy, dreary day for the most part but this scene, once I stumbled upon it, made it not seem a complete waste of time.
James

02-17-09-1.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi James,

I too like the Longhorn, especially pastoral like this. An impulsive photographer might have cropped of more of the trees to make the animals more impressive. In fact, the towering trees adds something to make the cattle diminuitive and that's just right.

If you have access to do more of this, you have found a great location and subject.

Keep shooting.

Asher

james sperry

hey james!
i guess texans really do, do things big!! ... lol ... ok ... bad joke, sorry.

i like how you chose to keep everything in focus. it compliments and helps give an impression on the size of subject matter.

Thank you gentlemen. Of course it's true that everything is bigger in Texas. These bruisers are really big though they may not look it in this photo. I will go back and see what else I can get out of this place Asher. It is very near my home and a really peaceful little piece of land among the rest of the busy Houston cityscape. I did get some up close shots of a small bull calf. He was not afraid at all and came right up to the fence where I was standing. I guess he was waiting for a snack or something. I will see what I can get out of it in the way of a portrait.
James

Asher Kelman

Thank you gentlemen. Of course it's true that everything is bigger in Texas. These bruisers are really big though they may not look it in this photo. I will go back and see what else I can get out of this place Asher. It is very near my home and a really peaceful little piece of land among the rest of the busy Houston cityscape. I
Hi James,

Look at the curves in their necks and the horns. That's I think their essence. see if you can focus on that in a composition!

Good luck,

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
To a Chicago boy these critters look fake. The only place we see "longhorns" here are in some mens rooms with newer urinals.

Asher Kelman

Ken,

That whizzed right by me!

I was introduced to two Texans today, one of whom owns longhorns. We chatted about this very picture here in OPF! He reported seeing one bull charge an 8 foot wall and leap over it with a foot to clear! Amazing if true!

Asher

Ken...Being from the south I suppose makes me a little slow. I have no idea what you are talking about here but I will give the benefit of the doubt and assume it is nothing derogatory.

Bill Miller

Ken,

That whizzed right by me!

I was introduced to two Texans today, one of whom owns longhorns. We chatted about this very picture here in OPF! He reported seeing one bull charge an 8 foot wall and leap over it with a foot to clear! Amazing if true!

Asher

Asher do you were handed some Texas "Bull" by your Texans, they probably had a good laugh!