• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My Cat

EdDiller

Fairly new to photography but thought this was a keeper.

119.jpg

Hopefully this will work now.

Last edited:

John Angulat

pro member
I thought it was a white cat, on a white background, with it's eyes closed
icon12.gif

Seriously, Ed - no image link appeared at all, so that rules out linking to your local drive. Give it one more try!

Will_Perlis

isis02.jpg

Another cat: "Isis" aka "Izzy". (We got her from the Downey animal shelter on the day before her kill date. I don't know if she's grateful but she sure has been lots of fun to have around since.) Canon 1dMk2, 135mm f/2.0L at f/2.0, bounced flash. I can't decide if I want to get rid of that blue reflection in her eye or leave it.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
119.jpg

© EdDiller

isis02.jpg

© Will Perlis

Ed and Will,

Commendations on these pictures. I'm glad to see felines pictures selected before posting so that the ones we see are impressive, which these are. The first shows playfulness and the second the inherent cat alertness as if ready for hunting.

Asher

Will_Perlis

Thanks. I missed the focus on her near eye and got her nose instead so I'm going to try again and also see what happens at slightly smaller apertures.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
isis02.jpg

© Will Perlis

I am not troubled by the nose having the most focus. That is different. It's not necessary to have the eyes in focus in every single case. Here I'm satisfied with the nose in focus as it brings to our mind the ability to sense pray even when it's hidden.

When I saw the picture, I had no issue with the eyes and still don't. We must look to individualize parts of pictures and choose our own levels of importance to each subunit. In doing that, one creates enough disturbance to make folk think and use their brains a little. That's one of the functions of art, I believe.

So as art, it works, for me, at least. Still for a paid assignment for a client, yes, the eyes are expected to be in focus!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
I have an image of my Cairn Terrier, Daisy in the window of my studio - all that is in focus is her nose - everything else is blurred with DOF taken at 1.2 on the 50mm. Everyone stops to look at that image. Sometimes the intent to have little in focus works really well!~

Will_Perlis

I've no objections to breaking the "rules". I think what bothers me is that both eyes are out of focus to different degrees. I figured the far one would be and that's fine. The near eye here is just a bit out of focus and that's somehow more annoying than if it had been really blurred.

Anyway, thanks again. Since we have two of them roaming the place I've got plenty of chances to experiment. I'm finding that models who take their pay in tiny amounts of tuna are a pleasant change from the human variety.

Cem_Usakligil

Yet another cat: Jinx

Here is our ragdoll Jinx on her garden throne:
jinx1.jpg

and a 100% crop of her eyes just to satisfy Asher (LOL)
jinx1-crop.jpg

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
I want a Cat! It's one thing to have lens and camera envy - but - cat envy is incurable. Oh these are so so cute. (My Dad has two Ragdolls). Daisy and Gizmo do not approve of my getting a cat.

These are beautiful .....

Will_Perlis

It's a good thing there's a limit to the number of critters we can keep in the apartment, otherwise...

Do Ragdolls really go limp when picked up? The ads here in the US say they can't be let outside because they won't defend themselves. True?

And yes, lovely pictures!

Chaz Zahn

Faust, My familiar

1D Mark III and an EF50 f/1.4...Still trying to improve black cat shots.

994V0051r.jpg

Last edited: