• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Golden Illusions

CharlotteThompson-1.jpg

Bill Miller

Intense photo -

Question - Why would you shoot this at ISO 800, 1/400th when a lower ISO would have resulted in higher quality? There does not appear to be any movement that needed to be stopped by 1/400th.

Bill Miller

Thank you, Mr. Miller. The model's pose was semi-candid...meaning she was involved with the flower so when she saw I was aiming kept what I saw was a very animal-like female communion with the beauty of flora. There simply was no time for adjustments. Thank you again for commenting.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
What now?

Hi William,

As Bill remarks, this is intense but you pull it off. We can't get anything past him on technique. He has the eyes of a hawk! The nikon D700 is probably the best camera of 2008 and overall perhaps the best camera made for it's price range. The focus is professional and the lenses superb. The ability to see in the dark is the magic we have to be careful of. The D700 and other see in the dark DSLR's do not perform as well in the higher ISOs. We pay for the math of noise removal with less dynamic range.

For this reason its good to be ready at the lowest possible ISO setting, so in this Bill has a point. Having said that, at 800 the D700 does very well in this B&W rendering.

Now that you have this, what now?

I ask this not casually but with thoughts to how important this picture might be. I'd hope you might want to continue exploring this theme further using controlled lighting. If the meeting between woman and flower is indeed genuine, it can be switched on at anytime like the love between a mother and infant.

I wonder if you might then consider working more on this motif so that it becomes part of a body of work exploring this relationship. I'd like to encourage that effort. In that, a more perfect technical rendering of both flower and her hand might be included in your planning.

In any case, thanks for sharing!

Asher

Asher: What now?

Mr. Kelman:

Agreed: Caution within the capability of 'see in the dark' cameras is needed lest IQ standards are compromised by lazily basking in such headroom. Thus, I also agree that the camera should have been prepped with the lowest ISO possible before left inert in a room with photo-op's. (I, in fact, properly preset the D700 before sitting down to reply to your post.)

As far as technical perfection is concerned, I prefer candid shots on the fly overall, so the idea of overtly controlled situations does not appeal. The model, Charlotte Thompson, seems to have adjusted to your teachings and opted to pose as to continue this into a series. Even though I thought better of it, I acquiesced and have posted Female/Flower shots in a new thread. Thank you for your encouragement and for the suggestion of pre-setting the camera before setting it down. I should have thought of it!

charlie chipman

High iso adds texture and in some cases that texture helps to set a mood that is more powerful than a critically detailed and sharp picture can provide. Dark and moody black and white is a good example of that, this picture is a good example of that. Had it been shot at either iso 200 or iso 1600 it would still be a good picture in the end.

Mr. Chipman

We certainly share the same school of thought on the dramatic effect possible with high ISO even though I believe one can post process from the lower ISO and get the same effect, hence my affinity for the latter. Thank you for commenting, sir.