• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My endless love...

Cem_Usakligil

...shot using my newest love, the Canon 5D Mk II <very, very huge grin>.
This was the 5th shot I took after switching on the camera for the very first time.
Luckily for me, my beloved wife does not mind being my subject when the need arises :).

Since I forgot to set the camera to record in raw (I was hurrying as you can imagine), this is a jpg only shot. I have not adjusted anything in the picture; I have just downsized it and output sharpened in CS4.

Canon 5D Mk II, EF 70-200L 2.8 IS, f6.3, 1/160s, ISO 250
hanny1.jpg

Cheers,

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

This was the 5th shot I took after switching on the camera for the very first time.
Luckily for me, my beloved wife does not mind being my subject when the need arises

Pix of cute redheads are always appreciated here! Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

janet Smith

pro member

Well you lucky thing you! Congratulations on your new love (I'm hoping to get one too soon!!) I recognize her expression, it's just like the one my ever patient, gorgeous husband has when I'm pointing my lens at him, lovely!!

Cem_Usakligil

Well you lucky thing you! Congratulations on your new love (I'm hoping to get one too soon!!) I recognize her expression, it's just like the one my ever patient, gorgeous husband has when I'm pointing my lens at him, lovely!!
Hi Jan,

It was an impulse buy in the sense that I was planning to get one this year sometime but not so soon. When I saw this morning that they had one available at my favourite camera store, I could not resist the urge; it was futile. I am now impatiently waiting for the battery to be charged. Those things are in short supply, I couldn't find one as a second battery.

Yes, the expression on her face is priceless. The spouses of us the photographers do really suffer, don't they? LOL

Cheers,

There is no such thing as a bad photo of a spouse. OK maybe that is not quite true all the time but this one is definitely proof towards making that statement true most of the time. She really looks to be a beautiful and happy person. No doubt through some actions of yours Cem.
Concerning the RAW, jpeg part of the post. I know RAW gives you the best opportunity and detail available to give your image the fullest attention. In Bridge however there is an option to open up a jpeg in RAW format. Can you tell me how that works? I assume that once the image was saved or shot initially in RAW, some of the image detail is gone. When you open the jpeg in RAW format what exactly does that do? I hope you do not mind that question here in this post.
James Newman

Cem_Usakligil

There is no such thing as a bad photo of a spouse. OK maybe that is not quite true all the time but this one is definitely proof towards making that statement true most of the time. She really looks to be a beautiful and happy person. No doubt through some actions of yours Cem.
Concerning the RAW, jpeg part of the post. I know RAW gives you the best opportunity and detail available to give your image the fullest attention. In Bridge however there is an option to open up a jpeg in RAW format. Can you tell me how that works? I assume that once the image was saved or shot initially in RAW, some of the image detail is gone. When you open the jpeg in RAW format what exactly does that do? I hope you do not mind that question here in this post.
James Newman
Hi James,

Of course I do not mind you asking.
Firstly, you have to set a parameter in Photoshop. Over there, go to Preferences>File Handling. There will be an option called camera raw preferences. Open that one. In there, you will find the section for jpeg and tiff handling. There you have to enable the jpg support in ACR.

Next time you open a jpg, it will show in ACR as if it is a raw file. Of course, it isn't a raw file and many ACR options with regards to raws will have been disabled. But the changes you make to the jpg in ACR will be kept as meta data (either in the jpg or in a separate xmp sidecar). So when you open the image in photoshop using the ACR adjustments, a copy of the jpg will be sent to PS, the original will not change, yet! You have to save the processed file in PS using another name in order to avoid overriding the original jpg file. So this way, the original jpgs won't be changed and you can do a "kind of non-destructive editing".

HTH,

Cheers,

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Congratulations

Congratulations, Cem! What a great combination of the 70-200, Hanny and the Mk2!

You are one lucky man! Wait until the cats get in the way of your lenses.

As for the rest of us - the batteries are a problem. I have some on order from my local store and it's been weeks.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

Firstly, you have to set a parameter in Photoshop<snip>So when you open the image in photoshop using the ACR adjustments, a copy of the jpg will be sent to PS, the original will not change, yet! <snip>So this way, the original jpgs won't be changed and you can do a "kind of non-destructive editing".
Fascinating, and very useful, it would seem. Thanks for illuminating it.

It is evocative of what we have in Qimage, where a description of an edit of the image is saved as a set of parameters in a "filter" file (linked to the image file itself), but an actual edited image is not saved. If we open the file again, we will see it transformed in accordance with those parameters (unless we decline that, or, to be more precise, extinguish the filter file - which is perhaps sad).

Best regards,

Doug

Ron Morse

Congratulation on the 5DMII. I've had mine with battery grip for about a month. I ordered an extra battery at the same time. My extra battery will be here tomorrow.

I wish my wife would let me take pictures of her. She always says no and covers her head.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Not one

As soon as I posted that I have been waiting for batteries, the camera shop called and both of my extras came in - Yay!

Thanks for the good luck token, Cem.

Mike Shimwell

Great stuff Cem - a happy and long suffering wife and a nice new camera. I hope you enjoy!

Mike

PS I guess we won't be seeing much velvia for a while then...

Cem_Usakligil

...PS I guess we won't be seeing much velvia for a while then...
Hi Mike,

Right! I have shot 7 film rolls the other day with carnaval over here. I have spent 1.5 hours yesterday for scanning only one single roll of negative in low resolution with average to bad results. I am attracted to film but after yesterday I have (literally) gone over the edge. No more 35mm film shooting and/or scanning for me (except for older materials), period!

That's why I went out to buy the camera the first thing in the morning.

Cheers,

Mike Shimwell

Hi Mike,

Right! I have shot 7 film rolls the other day with carnaval over here. I have spent 1.5 hours yesterday for scanning only one single roll of negative in low resolution with average to bad results. I am attracted to film but after yesterday I have (literally) gone over the edge. No more 35mm film shooting and/or scanning for me (except for older materials), period!

That's why I went out to buy the camera the first thing in the morning.

Cheers,

Ah yes, you need an efficient scanning workflow:) I managed to buy a second hand adaptor for my Nikon that lets me put a whole roll through at once, so I can set it up and leave it to run scaning at 4000dpi. If there are any that warrant special treatment I then repeat the scan on individual frames. This is much easier.

Lightroom is proving an excellent tool to deal with film scans.

Mike

3313006616_5924463e5c_o.jpg

(subject intentionally soft!!)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ah yes, you need an efficient scanning workflow:) I managed to buy a second hand adaptor for my Nikon that lets me put a whole roll through at once, so I can set it up and leave it to run scaning at 4000dpi. If there are any that warrant special treatment I then repeat the scan on individual frames. This is much easier.
Which Nikon scanner are you using and is this one continuous roll of the film or else is it a block of transparencies?

Lightroom is proving an excellent tool to deal with film scans.
In what special way?

3313006616_5924463e5c_o.jpg

(subject intentionally soft!!)

I like the atmospherics of the place made by having the b.g. in focus. What lens is this. It seems as wide as a 24mm lens? This is an interesting reversal in ways of setting things up and I'd like to see more examples. Was the difference made in the shot or in LR?

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Luckily for me, my beloved wife does not mind being my subject when the need arises :).

Since I forgot to set the camera to record in raw (I was hurrying as you can imagine), this is a jpg only shot. I have not adjusted anything in the picture; I have just downsized it and output sharpened in CS4.

hanny1.jpg

Cheers,
It's a pleasure to see Hany again! This picture brings back such a warm visit with you here in Los Angeles. She would be as beautiful with a lesser camera, but here, here coloring is so well represented and there's a live feeling to the image!

Do not give up on the film. Send them to Mike, LOL! Just a joke!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Cem, congrats on the Canon 5D Mk II. The cam cannot be your newest 'love'. That feeling has to be reserved for your Hanna. Your past, current and future ' love'; and deservedly so.

May you enjoy both for years to come in good health and fulfillment.

Best.

p.s. I did not know the Canon did color!

hanny1.jpg

Cheers,

Rachel Foster

You've told a lovely story with this image. One feels one knows this lovely woman just by viewing the image. She projects kindness and a serenity that comes from wisdom gentled by acceptance.

Nice image.