• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Revolutionary Camera Rotation Device for studio and field work

Tim Armes

Hi all,

Before I go any further I should admit that I have a bias for Really Right Stuff's amazing accessories. Unfortunately I don't own a single RSS product since I can't afford any of them :(

I was just taking a look at their site and I noticed that they are introducing a really interesting tripod accessory that allows the camera to be rotated to any angle (in the horizontal to vertical sense) whilst maintaining the image center. For those of us who do a lot of studio based tripod work this could a huge amount of flexibilty to image composition. Even with my Markins ball head I can find it to angle the camera how I want it; this device seems to really hit the mark.

Here are the details:

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/CRD/index.html

Sadly, as with every other RSS product that I'd like to own, I shan't be buying it. At an astonishing $750 for the package I'd be better off putting that towards a new lens.

Tim

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yes Tim,

I noticed it and it does seem revolutionary. It's maximum lens diameter would allow at least the following Canon L lenses: 24-105, 70-20 2.8L IS and even the Contax Distagons! For a 600mm you're perhaps out of luck and lucky to be so!

I wonder whether it would work for panos? Seems wonderful.

I must try one!

Asher

Tim Armes

Asher Kelman said:
Yes Tim,

I noticed it and it does seem revolutionary. It's maximum lens diameter would allow at least the following Canon L lenses: 24-105, 70-20 2.8L IS and even the Contax Distagons! For a 600mm you're perhaps out of luck and lucky to be so!

I wonder whether it would work for panos? Seems wonderful.

I must try one!

Asher

Hi Asher,

The benefit comes for lenses that don't have collars. The 70-200mm and 600mm lenses already have this ability...

Tim

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tim Armes said:
Hi Asher,

The benefit comes for lenses that don't have collars. The 70-200mm and 600mm lenses already have this ability...

Tim

The lenses with collars can't move freely about the optical nodal and point at any angle too!

This seems very special!

Asher