• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Color management for online exhibition...

Michael Seltzer

Hello,

(Sorry for the length: I wanted to give enough information…)

I have recently submitted images to several calls for entries, and had a few photographs taken for an online exhibition. When the exhibition went up, I noticed that my images seemed quite faded, desaturated perhaps with maybe a slight color shift. I inquired, in an email, whether this was a color profile problem, and if I converted my images to another profile and resent them, might that fix it. The response I got indicated they weren’t sure if the problem could be fixed. They explained that different computers display images differently: PCs displaying images darker and less saturated than Macs, and that they had simply put up what they received. However, they were willing to try if I sent them new files, after doing whatever I thought needed to be done.

My files look pretty much the same to me on my computer (a Mac) and on my wife’s (a PC), so I downloaded (“Save Image As…”) some of the files from the show site. I noticed a few things. They were small jpegs, most between 20kb and 50kb, with a few as large as 150kb. They specified I should resize my images to 1000 pixels on the long side, and at that resolution I am having trouble getting some of my files that small (most of the files on the show site are actually between 500 and 750 pixels on the long side, though even at that resolution I’m having trouble getting some of my files below 150kb).

The other thing I noticed is that when I look at these files in Photoshop’s “Assign Profile…” they all have “Don’t Color Manage This Document” checked. When I take one of my files and assign no color management, it does indeed change them. In Photoshop, they now look super-saturated and red-shifted. But if I save them, without making any other change, they look quite dull in Preview or Finder, similar to how they look on the show site.

So my question is, is this what I have to do, assign “Don’t Color Manage This Document” to all these files, then use Hue/Saturation and Curves adjustments to make them look okay (I can’t see how they’ll look in PS, as they look super-saturated there)? And, is this just a crapshoot? If no color management is being used, does that mean even if I get a file that looks all right to me in Preview, it might still look crappy once they put it on their show site, or if it looks good on my computer when accessing their show site, it could look even worse than before on someone else’s computer when they access the show site?

Clearly they are converting these files, so I’m also concerned that if I send them a 1000 pixel image that is a 400kb file, and that’s too big for them, they’ll convert it to a smaller file, and that will screw with how I got the file to look. I’m also concerned that other submissions I’ve made elsewhere look bad to these people because of color profile differences.

Thanks for any help, and again, sorry for the length.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Hi Michael,
This is a good question for Andrew Rodney, our venerable colormeister.

I'll offer just two thoughts until he arrives.

1. For best, and most predictable, results make sure that you're managing your image color throughout your process, from image capture to eventual output. That means, among other actions, making sure that you calibrate your monitor. It no longer costs a grand to get the kit to do this.

2. The Web is not really a color-managed venue. (The latest versions of Firefox can apply color profiles to image displays but you can't count on viewers using this bowser.) So the best proactive measure to ensure consistent online tonality is to apply the "sRGB" profile just before you save the final image. By applying this relatively narrow profile you're essentially applying the lowest common denominator to your image. This will enable you to preview and fix any tonalities that may become overly distorted when the gamut is shrunken.

3. Always take control of resizing your images whenever possible. If these folks want a 750 px long side send them this size of file.

Generally, don't trust that these folks know jack about color management or are at all skilled in image processing; the likelihood is that they're not.

Andrew Rodney

The best you can hope for is to convert to sRGB and post to the web, understanding that expect for two web browsers, the latest FireFox with color management on and Safari, the others are not color managed. Plus anyone viewing your images will need a calibrated and profiled display with one of these two browsers or what they see and what you saw will likely be different.

Michael Seltzer

Thank you both for responding. I just want to check that I understand. Even though the jpegs I downloaded from the show site have no color management (have "Don't Color Manage This Document" checked), I should convert to sRGB instead of matching what they are doing with the files?

Thanks again.

Andrew Rodney

Thank you both for responding. I just want to check that I understand. Even though the jpegs I downloaded from the show site have no color management (have "Don't Color Manage This Document" checked), I should convert to sRGB instead of matching what they are doing with the files?

You mean they have no embedded profile. Not surprised. Yes, assign sRGB and they should look "better".

Michael Seltzer

Thanks again for the quick response.

"You mean they have no embedded profile."
I believe that's what I mean, yes. I'm trying to learn more about these issues, so maybe I am wrong (and maybe I'm communicating poorly, too). However, when I downloaded several files from their website (by right-clicking and choosing "Save Image As..."), the jpegs I ended up with on my computer had "Don't Color Manage This Document" checked when I looked using Photoshop's "Assign Profile..." menu command. I thought that meant that they had converted the files I sent them (I had converted to Adobe RGB), and were using no profile. Am I correct about that?

I thought, then, that in the spirit that I should try to do as much as possible before sending, I should check "Don't Color Manage This Document" and use Hue/Saturation adjustments to try and get a good looking file. So I created files like that to send to them. However, I can go back and create files with an sRGB profile instead.

Thank you again, and sorry if I seem to be plodding here.

Andrew Rodney

However, when I downloaded several files from their website (by right-clicking and choosing "Save Image As..."), the jpegs I ended up with on my computer had "Don't Color Manage This Document" checked when I looked using Photoshop's "Assign Profile..." menu command.

Set your color policies to Preserve.

When such a document opens, you can assign sRGB if you have the "Missing Profile" check box on in the color settings, alerting you that the document is untagged. Or after opening, use the Assign Profile command and select sRGB.