• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Rockpool

Andy brown

I had some fun getting intimate with a rockpool today.

Very hard to focus or pick a focal point with very narrow DOF and moving water and curved surfaces and submerged subjects so I let the colours and refractions lead me.

Neptunesnecklace2.jpg

Mike Shimwell

Andy

Asher pointed these out to me a few days agao and I looked on Friday night. Since then I've spent a bit of time thinking about the pictures before commenting. Given the momentum of your other thread, perhaps we do have a series here that would withstand Ken's suggested asking price:) However, a few thoughts on this excellent work.

Picture 1 - This was the image that first caught my attention and I still enjoy the softness of the red-brown areas together with the reflected light dark pasths in the water. I am less sure of the yellows in the weed(?) - purely a personal taste, but I might prefer something a little bit richer. The only other comment is that I would likely try to crop the right and left edges of the picture a little as it feels a bit wide to me at present. I hpe you don't mind. but here's the result of a quick rework.

3345523040_d201abcf14_o.jpg

Picture 2 - This has really grown on me. The colours, composition and everything work really well after a bit of time looking. I particularly like the colour variation in the tops of the chain of 'dumplings'/

Picture 3 - Probably the weakest picture in the set, given the abstract context of the other images. The colour's great and the image is really graphic, but I think it's a bit 'obvious' to sit with the other pictures you've posted here.

Picture 4 - Great. The ring of red-brown around the seaweed is lovely and I think would make a nice abstract print. If you are wanting to make a pure piece of art you might remove the black 'bit' , but otherwise...

Picture 5 - Less abstract and I think slightly less connected to 1,2 and 4. But I really like this picture too.

I've just realised that you weren't looking for critique on these, but I've been feeling guilty that I;ve not written much recently!! I hope you don't mind my comments, just trying to put your work in perspective as a viewer.

Cheers

Mike