• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Salgado's Workers

Bob Sumitro

Hi guys,

Looking at the photographs in Salgado's book Workers, two questions come to mind.
The first one is how heavily were the photos post processed?
The second is, looking at some of the photos that are candid or at least to me they seem to be candid, were the subjects posed?

To me they look like candid pictures of someone doing their works but at the same time, the composition, the background of the photos, suggests (at least to me) that the subjects were (asked to) posed.
Were they posed or is it because Salgado is really good and he always capture the right moment?

Thanks, Bob

Edit:
Asher asked me about which pictures I'm refering to. Sorry guys I forgot to refer to the pictures. The pictures I'm referring to are on page 176-177, 188-189,190-191, 196 or 322-323. There are other pictures, but these ones are the ones that caught my attention the most with regard to whether or not they were posed.

As for the post processing question, I refer to all the pictures. For instance, look at the pcitures of the dam workers in India (page 364 to 393). I live in a tropical country where the sunlight during the day is really harsh not diffrent than the light condition in India ... but in those pictures, where I know the mid day sun is really harsh, the lighting doesn't look that harsh.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The Book is Workers: Archaeology of the Industrial Age

I found a set of only 5 pics online here! Some nice videos are available on Utube here. If anyone knows a better source of pictures online, that would be great! for anyone who has the book, look at the pages bob has written to me to better specify his question on posing and processing:

"But in the book, the pictures can be found on page 176-177, 188-189,190-191, 196 or 322-323. There are other pictures, but these ones are the ones that caught my attention the most with regard to whether or not they were posed."

Asher

Rod Witten

pro member
Bob,

Without disclosure from the artist, I believe that we must assume that they were staged scenes. Possibly another Eugene Smith study.

Rod Witten