• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Wild Grey Heron

Ivan Garcia

IGD_3270_BW.jpg

Canon EOS 1DMKIII + Canon EF 500mm f/4 L IS. 1/1000 sec. - ISO 800 - f/4

janet Smith

pro member
Hello Ivan

Well it works for me, I don't think I've seen a shot of a heron in B&W before, very nice indeed.

If I were to be very picky, I would perhaps have a very gentle dodge, just a tad, to the very tips of the feathers on the upper wing, they are merging with the dark background just a tiny bit too much, but as I say just a very minor picky point (sorry!). But I love it!! Thank you for showing us your B&W version, given me some ideas too!

Very interesting, creative approach. Like Janet, I'd prefer the wing tips above were more separated from the background.

In fact, I might play a little with the tonality, and see what other 'versions' you could come up with. As is, it seems "stark" with strong contrast present. This is neither good, nor bad, but just one of many possible interpretations in b/w.

Ivan Garcia

Hi Janet/Don
Thank you for the kind input.
You right, after recalibrating my monitor, it seems the tip of the wing is just too dark.
I shall try to correct this latter on.
Don, I played a little with the file and tried several approaches which yielded different variations. Ultimately, I like this version, it makes the bird stand out nicely. In any case, I shall make up my mind once I print it.
Again, I thank you both for taking the time to comment on my image.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Ivan,

I wonder if this means anything different if the picture is flipped horizontally. With my Western upbringing the picture reads as if the birds is returning.

What made you choose B&W? I've never imagined this and to the irritation of many, I am always pushing for B&W versions. All the Audubon paintings I have seen are colored, but for sure there must be famous photography of herons in B&W!

Thanks for sharing.

Asher

Ivan Garcia

Hi Asher.
Thank you for taking the time to comment on my image.

Hi Ivan,

I wonder if this means anything different if the picture is flipped horizontally. With my Western upbringing the picture reads as if the birds is returning.
The bird was landing so I guess it can interpreted as returning (although I am not quite sure what you are referring to).

What made you choose B&W? I've never imagined this and to the irritation of many, I am always pushing for B&W versions.
Why BW?...No particular reason , I just thought this image would be a good candidate to try a new BW conversion technique I have developed.
All the Audubon paintings I have seen are colored, but for sure there must be famous photography of herons in B&W!.

Thanks for sharing.

Asher
I am sure there must be several. But, like Janet, I've never seen one (so far).

PS: Aher you have a PM.

Eric Diller

Very nice looking photo. I as well have never seen a B&W of a bird like this before....but it is growing on me the more i look at it!

Very nice.....

Andy brown

I love this image.

The B&W renders the structure of the wings and feathers brilliantly and what I see is a superbly crafted flying machine.