• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fine Pictures: Non abandoned windows - colour or black and white, glass or not!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Photography Challenge opened November 2008.

Windows existed before there was glass. In a tent, openings might even bring in the rays of light from a cloud or tree and make an image inside. The window allows us to look in and outside. It has even become a metaphor to have a window to inner thoughts, for example in a child painting.

What are your special photographs? Any size type or number of windows used in any fashion!

Asher :)

Last edited:

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi,

Two from myself....

This first was taken at the walled town of Carcassonne in southern France. We were on a guided tour of the grounds and came across this multi-coloured stain-glass window. The shot made an interesting composition of colour with some of the medieval towers in the background.

window1.jpg

This second was at the town of Aigues-Mortes - also in Southern France, and also a walled town! The image is more about the story behind it than the photo itself.

It is the only window in Constance Tower (part of the walls), and is high up on the ceiling. The tower was used a prison during the 18th century persecutions of Protestant Huguenots and has 16ft thick walls. The protestant Marie Durand was imprisoned in this tower for 38 years, and if you believe the stories it was her who scratched into the wall the word 'Register' meaning 'Resist'. She was finally released in 1767.

window2.jpg

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

Andy,

A stellar start for this Theme! Thanks for sharing. I must go beyond the proposed "Ten word comment limit" for this forum because this is the very first set of submission to this Theme, I'm so impressed by the originality and also I have contacts here, LOL! So allow me this transgression and indulgence.

The first glass window maybe original hand made with lead strips holding hand rolled glass. Initially, there was no technology to form large sheets safely. One can see distortions therefore in the scene through the window giving an Impressionistic feeling. So we have rectangular patch work. Some parts clean and sharp others blurred and colored with different hues. Altogether splendid! Interestingly, the lines converge to the left and the main tower and slate roof is in close to optimal in compositional placement.

The second image surprised me as I'd forgotten about the iron bars of prison windows. Here this is remarkable for, being so high there's only possibility to see blue sky and perhaps clouds pass by and one day a bird, but no escape! The wooden planks of the roof converge this solitary window directing the prisoner to his reminder of an outside world he cannot reach.

These two images are remarkable. The first is especially impressive.

Asher :)

Asher Kelman

Hi,

Two from myself....

This first was taken at the walled town of Carcassonne in southern France. We were on a guided tour of the grounds and came across this multi-coloured stain-glass window. The shot made an interesting composition of colour with some of the medieval towers in the background.

window1.jpg

Andrew,

I see this was f5.6, 30mm, 17-85mm lens, 1/400 sec. But is this through the window or a reflection?

Asher

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi Asher,

This was through the window. Actually I just did a quick google on 'Carcossonne Window' and there are a few other shots that have picked up the same window.

The converging lines of lead are due to the shot being taken at an angle through the window - the view straight through didn't give the composition of the towers in the background that I was looking for. Saturation was boosted to emphasize the window colours.

Bill - A photographic joke? Desert Resorts, but green trees reflected? Enjoyed the image!

DeYoung Reflection

I shot this the week the new DeYoung museum opened in SF a couple of years ago. Unfortunately the EXIF was stripped and the exposure data is lost.

3927098-lg.jpg

Asher Kelman

There's much more sense of violation to the window with this color version. I like it, but how so wide?

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Jim,

The chest through the window with the overlying reflection is splendid, but the lens, the
Pinkham & Smith Visual Quality lens, makes it sightly less surprising. Do you happen to remember what aperture you chose?

Asher

Jim Galli

Jim,

The chest through the window with the overlying reflection is splendid, but the lens, the
Pinkham & Smith Visual Quality lens, makes it sightly less surprising. Do you happen to remember what aperture you chose?

Asher

I don't but I will venture f22 - f32 because it's quite sharp. The house reflected from across the street would have been at infinity so there was a big gap to close between the near surface of the glass and the house.

Mike Shimwell

Non abandoned windows - colour or black and white

Just to follow on from Janet's black and white windows in abandoned buildings thread, here's one from a non-abandoned building in colour. It's a window in King's College, Cambridge - shot a few weeks ago in January - It may also qualify as a self protrait - though the thought is one of dreams and aspiration.

Mike

3357152279_f241b85a88_o.jpg