• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Falconcrest NL

Hi folks,

Some eye-candy to enjoy:

9741_S.jpg

I'm not exactly sure about the proper name, but I was told it is a member of the 'Buteo' family (Dutch name: Woestijn Buizerd).

Cheers,
Bart

Ivan Garcia

Hello Bart.
We call this bird a Buzzard in England.
Excellent detail and exposure...Masterful !!.
Could we have the shot details? (camera lens settings hand held tripod, captive or wild bird etc, etc... )

Hello Bart.
We call this bird a Buzzard in England.
Excellent detail and exposure...Masterful !!.
Could we have the shot details? (camera lens settings hand held tripod, captive or wild bird etc, etc... )

Hi Ivan,

Buzzard/Buizerd, almost the same. I've been told that the popular naming isn't always correct, so I've asked for some additional details because this is not the common indigenous variety (Buteo Buteo) but a desert buzzard. We have no deserts in the Netherlands, but we do have a lot of water ;-)

Shot details:
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III, EF 70-200mm f/4 @ 200mm and f/5.0, 1/250s handheld.
The bird is captive but it's being trained, so it flies around during the training sessions (yesterday it was gone for an hour and a half).

Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Great shot, Bart! I love the color and detail including the blood on its beak. Have sharpened it yet?

Asher

Great shot, Bart! I love the color and detail including the blood on its beak. Have sharpened it yet?

Hi Asher,

I'm very fond of these creatures. The raptor colors can be so beautiful, like the cocoa color of their wings.

This image was sharpened after downsampling, but the DOF is very shallow with 200mm at f/5 from 1.5 metres distance. One corner of her eye is in focus, the other corner is OOF.

Bart

Hi folks,

Here's another raptor:

9846_S.jpg

Same location. They said this is a Chilean Eagle.

Same camera and lens, shot @ 200mm and f/5.0, 1/250s handheld, from 1.5 metres distance.

Cheers,
Bart

Awesome Raptor Pic. Almost looks like some sort of Hawk or Falcon! Nicely done!

Hi Eric,

Thanks, but it's much easier in captivity than the shots you manage to take in the wild. I envy you for the surroundings you have at your disposal, and the abundance (or so it seems) of raptors.

This is a juvenile, so it will develop into something even more deadly. I've asked for more details (Latin name).

Cheers,
Bart

janet Smith

pro member
Hi folks,

Here's another raptor:

9846_S.jpg

Same location. They said this is a Chilean Eagle.

Same camera and lens, shot @ 200mm and f/5.0, 1/250s handheld, from 1.5 metres distance.

Cheers,
Bart

Hello Bart

Wonderful shots, love the Chilean Eagle, is the other bird a Harris Hawk, looks like one I've seen in a local falconry centre. Thank you for sharing these with us.

Hello Bart

Wonderful shots, love the Chilean Eagle, is the other bird a Harris Hawk, looks like one I've seen in a local falconry centre. Thank you for sharing these with us.

Hi Jan,

You're welcome. I hope to learn the official name of the first bird. The literal translation of the Dutch name I was given, is 'Desert Buzzard'.

Cheers,
Bart

The Eagle strikes

Hello Bart

Jan and others,

I've compiled a short animation of a few frames that I had shot in sequence (0.2 seconds apart):

EagleStrike.gif

Copyright © 2009, Bart van der Wolf

It's the final 1.2 seconds approach of the Chilean eagle as it pounces the prey, talons ahead.

The images themselves were very poor (motion artifacts, OOF), so I had to give them quite a workover, and size reduction. I then aligned the images in layers on the eye, and used Photoshop to clone in some missing image areas, and turn it into an animation. It's far from perfect, but good enough for an impression. You would definitively not want to see those talons coming in straight at you ...

Cheers,
Bart

Cem_Usakligil

Jan and others,

I've compiled a short animation of a few frames that I had shot in sequence (0.2 seconds apart):

EagleStrike.gif

It's the final approach of the Chilean eagle as it pounces the prey, talons ahead.

The images themselves were very poor (motion artifacts, OOF), so I had to give them quite a workover. I then aligned the images in layers on the eye, and used Photoshop to clone in some missing image areas, and turn it into an animation. It's far from perfect, but good enough for an impression. You would definitively not want to see those talons coming in straight at you ...

Cheers,
Bart
Hi Bart,

This is wonderful! My own series are anything but sharp and I can imagine how much PP work this must have taken. Excellent work, brilliant even! BTW, now I am sorry I did not take films with my 5DII instead.

Cheers,

Hi Bart,

This is wonderful! My own series are anything but sharp and I can imagine how much PP work this must have taken.

Well, FocusMagic to the rescue ..., motion blur, and focus blur compensation in 2 runs at full size, and a final run after blurring and downsizing.

Excellent work, brilliant even! BTW, now I am sorry I did not take films with my 5DII instead.

It never crossed my mind either. Now we're forced to go back, aren't we? ;-)

Bart

Anthony Reilly

The 1st picture isnt a buzzard its a Harris Hawk (parabuteo unicintus). originaly from south america. looks like it has had its beak coped.

Asher Kelman

The 1st picture isnt a buzzard its a Harris Hawk (parabuteo unicintus). originaly from south america. looks like it has had its beak coped.

Anthony,

You have a sharp eye and know far more than I do on naming birds. We need that! Also I like the fact that you are mining the treasures in our earlier threads on birds. This is so enjoyable.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Bart,

This is a wonderful sequence. Kudos!

EagleStrike.gif

How do you make the gif for this?

Asher

Bart,

This is a wonderful sequence. Kudos!

EagleStrike.gif

How do you make the gif for this?

Hi Asher,

Thanks. What fascinates me is how the eyes + head remain aligned on the target, end then the talons are pounced on the target as the bird slows down to avoid crashing itself once it get a hold.

My camera allows to shoot at 5 frames per second. After Raw conversion and deblurring, I layered the shots in Photoshop, aligned the layers by hand on the eye, added some space for the shots that were missing some foreground, cropped the stack of layers, and used the Photoshop Window|Animation menu tool to add the layers to the animation.

The animation function has changed since CS3, so I suggest looking at the help function description of it for the PS version one uses (it's not very clearly documented, but I managed to figure it out). Basically one adds from the stack, frame by frame, to the animation, and sets the interval between images.

Cheers,
Bart

Anthony Reilly

Anthony,

You have a sharp eye and know far more than I do on naming birds. We need that! Also I like the fact that you are mining the treasures in our earlier threads on birds. This is so enjoyable.

Asher

I love birds of prey more than any other animals and i am a falconer so i can help people on here to identify birds of prey with no problems at all :)

Thanks Ant.

Asher Kelman

I love birds of prey more than any other animals and i am a falconer so i can help people on here to identify birds of prey with no problems at all :)

Thanks Ant.

then you must have a tone of pictures! I'm really looking forward to learning about the different birds and their behavior. Bart's moving gif is such a wonderful way of not only seeng the movement, but slow enough to appreciate the logical behavior.

Asher