• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

PW Mini TT1 for Canon EOS

Yesterday the device finally arrived. I was pleasantly surprized by its tiny from factor (even though I knew it shopuld be smaller than any of my PW II Plus). I spent a few minutes reading the tiny booklet, learned how to "teach" it to work on a proper channel, "trained" it to two particual channels I plan to use it with, snapped it onto my 5D Mark II - and hey presto, my sync speed immediately improved from 1/200 to 1/250 :)
I didn't have any actual shoots with it yet, but triggering seems to work as described, so I'm fairly optimistic.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yesterday the device finally arrived. I was pleasantly surprized by its tiny from factor (even though I knew it shopuld be smaller than any of my PW II Plus). I spent a few minutes reading the tiny booklet, learned how to "teach" it to work on a proper channel, "trained" it to two particual channels I plan to use it with, snapped it onto my 5D Mark II - and hey presto, my sync speed immediately improved from 1/200 to 1/250 :)
I didn't have any actual shoots with it yet, but triggering seems to work as described, so I'm fairly optimistic.
Nik,

Any downsides compared to the large ones? Where's the best place to buy?

Asher

Asher..
Actually you missed to point.. I had no idea what Nikolai was talking about.. I had to search for "PW Mini TT1" to figure out what the heck it was. Lighter than a Chevy ( gm :) )or not, I had no clue. Once I opened a new tab on my browser, did a search and read about it, I figured out what he was talking about. Since I don't use Pocket Wizards I was at a loss. Along those lines does it work with the transmitter in my L-758dr Light Meter? The only remote flash setup I have ever used is a Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 and a EX580 and a EX430 flash.

Nik,

Any downsides compared to the large ones? Where's the best place to buy?

Asher

Downsides:
  • Only two channels for immediate selection (albeit out of the *huge* pool of those) and you need to "teach" it for each. It's not a big deal if you're working pretty much with the same setup on a regular basis, but it's not something you would like to mess with under pressure (like a group shoot, fashion show, etc.)
  • Each first shot after powerup is a dud. At this point I'm not sure if it's a big deal, but this is something you gotta remember, so chimp often:). Definitely would prefer to go without it, but at this point the advantage (better X-time) is far more important for me.
Best place to buy:
  • they should be in stock pretty much all over now, so feel free to use your favorite retailer...:)
HTH

Along those lines does it work with the transmitter in my L-758dr Light Meter? The only remote flash setup I have ever used is a Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 and a EX580 and a EX430 flash.
It works with all PW compatible devices. However, it's a transmitter only, so it's not much use to you in conjunction with your lightmeter. If you want a device that can both receive and transmit you need to get its bigger brother Flex.

I must note that one of the primary (and brand new) features of this new system is an ability to support ETTL traffic over RF (hence greater distance and more reliable) - which, in my personal case, will remain in a total oblivion since I almost never use it...