• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Longhorns around the corner

Doug Kerr

We live in a nice suburban development in Weatherford, Texas, but the overall area is still largely semi-rural. Only a half mile from our home is an older road with homes on large tracts of land, and many of the residents have a few head of cattle.

On the corner, there is a lovely little hill with a big tree offering plenty of shade. While out walking a couple of days ago, we found that a beautiful longhorn cow, her calf, and a couple of cousins were relaxing in the shade. As soon as we came close to the fence, the mama stood up and got between us and her calf.

Today we went back, camera in hand, and they were still there. And again, the mama got right up to keep things under control.

Here's mama and her calf - beautiful matching coloration:

Longhorns_F06839R.jpg

Here's the whole group:

Longhorns_F06797R.jpg

Done with a Canon EOS 40D with a Sigma 18-200 mm f/3.5-6.3 OS.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Doug,

These are handsome creatures! You have great subjects for a lot of beautiful work! You might get an angle where the wire could be out of focus by opening the aperture. Now the first picture is ripe for cleaning up but the calf would lack one hoof!

Since it's so near, maybe reshoot.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nicolas,
Hi Doug
very nice fellows!
In the same flow as Asher, another suggestion: could you reshoot with the lens thru the fence and without car in bg?
Both good suggestions.

I felt very silly about the car (it is mine) after I shot. But I didn't take the time to relocate it.[/quote]

Are they unfriendly (they don't seem so!) can't you go over the fence and join them?
In fact, when over at the side, when I came right up to the fence, the mama charged at me! She is very protective.

Carla said, "Did you get the shot? That would be great"

Thanks for writing.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

These are handsome creatures! You have great subjects for a lot of beautiful work! You might get an angle where the wire could be out of focus by opening the aperture.
I was concerned over balancing that consideration with that of sufficient DoD for the subjects themselves.

Now the first picture is ripe for cleaning up but the calf would lack one hoof!

I was hoping to get them in an equally-good pose without a fencepost in the frame, but it didn't happen (at least within my span of patience!).

Since it's so near, maybe reshoot.

We may well revisit.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

You know I am a big longhorn fan and these are beautiful specimens for sure. Since they are so close, like Asher suggested, I would go back and try some different angles of attack. The cow and calf coloring is very nice and almost, not quite, but almost just right for UT support. Is the little one a baby cow or a baby bull? One of the popular traits of these animals is their usually docile nature. I guess a new mother would be quite protective and not subscribe to the docile behavior just yet.
James Newman

Doug Kerr

Hi, James,
Is the little one a baby cow or a baby bull?
We don't know. We plan to go back and look a little more closely.
One of the popular traits of these animals is their usually docile nature. I guess a new mother would be quite protective and not subscribe to the docile behavior just yet.
Evidently. Still, she did it very "selectively" - I would say as a good citizen.

I know very little about cattle. What age would you guess that calf to be?

Thanks for writing.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Actually, Doug, this is quite painterly. The movement is quite an interesting effect. You can compensate for this with Focus Magic or next time use a tripod!

Asher