• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Being human

54771510760783cf11a5dc5cd733ba2.jpg

Leica CL & Hexanon 2/50
Portra 160 NC

fahim mohammed

Cedric, I like the way you have framed the lovely lady. I also seen to sense a tension in the council housing ( if that is what the block is ) and the gentle femininity of the woman.

Perhaps a little more contrast?

Best.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
54771510760783cf11a5dc5cd733ba2.jpg

Leica CL & Hexanon 2/50
Portra 160 NC
Cedric,

I sometimes think a lot about a picture I like and then as it becomes familiar, come to believe that I've already commented! Well Fahim's post jogged my memory.

This reminds me of the picture I quoted in Cem Usakligi's Portal series, where a maid is looking out of a window. she is performing the metaphor of looking out while she is locked in to her role as a servant.

Here we have a girl looking out of the wall through a window which is the remnants of a torn poster. She appears to be looking at the windows opposite which are unavailable to her as she is not real and has no idea that her image looks there! The folk in the apartments may be among the potential viewers, but they are unseen. In fact, no one is there to see her looking out. Worse, the torn poster makes it appear as if the girl, herself, is right at that moment, is looking from behind that building through a shel hole from some war.

So this vision is apocalyptic.

Excellent!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Michael,

Your photograph seems as if it might have a narrative and a meaning. However, we are not given any firm guidance. That's good! This discipline is remarkable in that it forces us to bring to it all our ideas on spaces and war and disrupted lives and hopes.

Cem has been photographing interesting old doors and windows which I call his "Portal Series". Here's my post on one of Cem's picture which seem to me to be related.

The actual thread is here

cellar1.jpg

These three pictures work well together. They all carry an idea of time lived and a restricted space where we are interested as to what is outside. I like this complex theme as it invites us, the viewer to be attentive to our own ideas and bring them into these small worlds.

With an image of beauty, like a rose, there are many more poems, songs, paintings we can think of. With these old portals, however, there are less associations with being agreeable and attractive. Portals seem more serious. We see division of life to "in and out", "up and down", "with you and with me". As such it is an instrument that invites our own participation in thought of existential consequences. Not only that, there is a communal aspect to this. When we see another person lost in such a world, we feel that we might perhaps be bonded somehow in this activity.

Here's a different take on the possibilities of portals. Here we have a picture i recently was introduced to at the Photo LA Exhibition, Jan 9-11, 2009 in Santa Monica. It was made by Bill Brandt in 1936 in London, U.K. The building is not dead. However, we see this image of a woman on the inside of a world where she, herself exists outside of that high ranking upper class world while serving their privileged owners.

Brandt%20YE1278.jpg

Photo, Lee Gallery, Vintage Silver Print, 9x7.75 inches, "Maid at Window"

I hope that you will continue your study in this great theme according to your own ideas. Don't take too long! Even if I'm the only one that responds to your post, I hope that will be sufficient. It takes a while for other folks to catch up!

Mike Shimwell

Cedric

anothe good picture. I think there is tension arising from the justaposition of the organic background in the pster and the completely manmade structre that i it's environment. The fact the poster and it's world is torn and undergoing destruction at the hands of the manmade environment adds a further message to this image.

Mike

Thank you all for your comments.

Indeed, i was happy to discover this poster and its environment... but not easy to frame and colors are quite hard to restitute... I think this one is not achieved yet.