• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

That's how I saw it

fahim mohammed

The lux 50mm asph is a joy to see with!

p417326537.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The lux 50mm asph is a joy to see with!

p417326537.jpg
Fahim,

Yes, that's a great lens! I've used the 28mm not this one. There's no exif on your file so I have no idea when you shot this, day or night!

That's the way you saw it because you were so close. You have a couple seated, but we can't work out much there, the couple large in front of us, but there's no eye contact and no crack of emotion. We see a woman attending to a child, so perhaps the folk in the foreground are waiting for junior to get organized.

I like to step back to see more of the world in which the denizens are doing their thing. Something is going on as the fellow on the right seems to be looking there! So perhaps the folks staring from the left are lost in whatever street perofrmance is taking all theri attention and making them oblvious to you and your camera. Why not show more including what was actually happening? Maybe nothing is happening except they are purposely staring ahead to make the picture seem "natural"!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher,

Thanks for the helpful comments. back to the drawing board. learning..slowly!

Fahim,

I didn't mean to infer that you picture was "wrong". I thought that you intended to have us wonder what it's about. I was just declaring how I would shoot such a scene as I want to record more. Your approach, whether by intent or not, to hide from us the missing pieces, provides another way to look at a scene. I wasn't sure whether there was, perhaps, a seriously considered underlying "grand design" since you had given the title, "That's the way I saw it". From that, I reduced the FOV in my mind from something larger that I now imagined. My conjecture was that you were purposely avoiding providing the entire scene and divorcing the folk from what was going on so we were faced with a puzzle!

Since I believe one of the possible functions of art is to get us to think and use our imagination, it seemed plausible that you had this purpose in mind. I was waiting for other pictures in a series that would extend this idea.

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Hi Fahim

I won't even seek to off critique after Asher, but I do like this sort of work. The mix of relationships in a moments sight always delights me.

I am interested, though, in whether you are using the 50 on the M8 or M7 - I like 50s, but for this sort of thing imagine it might be a bit long on the M8 with it's smaller sensor?

Mike

fahim mohammed

Asher, i agree with you. in the context of what i was trying to depict, i failed. i wanted to depict them as
part of a larger environment, and i missed...this time. i should have covered a wider part of the scene.

Mike, i use the 50mm on both my m8 and mp/m7. this time it was on the m8. and obviously got in too
close or cropped it a little too much.

thanks for taking the time to improve my photgraphy.